20-50 lb success stories?

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" (super tall, I know lol). Prior to joining this site, I went from 230 to 166(ish, about 64lbs lost). My goal is to be 140lbs. So, God willing, by the end of this, I'll have lost 90lbs. A girl can dream!!!

The ideal weight for a 6'1" woman is...165.

Based on this: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/ideal_bw_women.htm

If you drop to 140 you will actually be underweight (not considered healthy any longer--that is known to be a strain on your body over time).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Yep, my calculations were right on the mark.

A 5'6" woman should be 130 lbs. Otherwise she will be considered underweight (not healthy).

Here's the calculator.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/ideal_bw_women.htm
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I am 6ft tall and started at 204lbs on January 1, 2012. Last week I weighed in at 151.2lbs. 52lbs gone in 6 months, not too shabby.

I just checked. The ideal weight for a 6' woman is 160 lbs. I've often heard a healthy range is 10lbs or so (so you are right in that range).
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was thin all my life. I use to dance 9 times a week. I went through a really rough period and ended up at about your start weight (I stopped stepping on the scale at 149 and went up from there). I got to the point where my resting heart rate was 110bpm. Pictures were also rare. My friend (who's a doctor) told me I needed meds and acted ultra worried. I felt week, ran out of breath easily, hardly moved at all (some of that was due to work load). I told him to give me a chance to take care of it myself.

Now:

5'7
    cw: 120 lbs
    rest rate: 70 bpm
    bust-waist-butt: 34-25-36 inches

535356_10151751503765607_1690500749_a.jpg542074_10151751504035607_74258415_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

Where's the codergal?
    539313_10151882600085607_1222237365_a.jpg
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0. My journey started at 170 lbs. Now I'm at 136 with a goal of 120-125. It has taken me over 3 years to lose 34 lbs.
  • MMKE4ever
    MMKE4ever Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3". My starting weight was 154 in March. My current weight is 129. My goal weight is 125. I am almost there!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, started on MFP at 185 pounds, am now 136. Goal of 130. You can see my current pic in my profile pic and there are also a couple of befores in my pics. Good luck!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I should add that for 5'6" the ideal weight is somewhere around 130. 110-115 as the OP stated is actually considered underweight for 5'6".

I've heard the way to calculate is 100 lbs at 5' tall. 5 lbs for every inch after that.

During college I did not even weigh enough to donate blood (112 pounds was the requirement back then). I was a size 4. I was healthy, active, and just spent much of my 20s not having to worry about weight. I was far too thin.

So, if the OP drops to below 125/130 lbs they will be considered underweight.

Yeah, I caught that as well, 110-115 is def under weight for 5'6". OP's profile claims a history with ED...Be careful not to fall back into that trap.:frown:
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    5ft 6.75 in
    SW Jan-184.5
    CW-170lb ( lost 49lbs )
    GW-145lb
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I should add that for 5'6" the ideal weight is somewhere around 130. 110-115 as the OP stated is actually considered underweight for 5'6".

I've heard the way to calculate is 100 lbs at 5' tall. 5 lbs for every inch after that.

During college I did not even weigh enough to donate blood (112 pounds was the requirement back then). I was a size 4. I was healthy, active, and just spent much of my 20s not having to worry about weight. I was far too thin.

Yeah, I caught that as well, 110-115 is def under weight for 5'6". OP's profile claims a history with ED...Be careful not to fall back into that trap.:frown:

Ahhh...gotcha! I mean I was healthy when I was in my 20s (and weighing in at 110, 119 when I got married). It was purely genetics. Depends on a lot of factors.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 5"3 or 5"4 and looking first of all to lose 22lb going from 155 to 133 and then I will decide if I need to lose more. At 42 it seems to take a lot longer than it used to to lose weight and I also don't want to lose too much from my face and then start to age which is why I am working towards middle of healthy BMI first.

Ps it is taking me ages to lose...................
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options

Based on this: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/ideal_bw_women.htm

If you drop to 140 you will actually be underweight (not considered healthy any longer--that is known to be a strain on your body over time).

I think that's a little subjective. I'm 6' and there is NO WAY I could ever be 165 Lol I'm way too curvy and big boned. Right now I'm about 183, I would LIKE to be between 175-180, but even getting there is gonna be pushing it because I'm muscular. Still, I have a friend who is 6' and probably weighs around 140 ... she is VERY small boned and slender. so even though we're the same height, body type is nothing alike.
  • GangsterKim50
    Options
    It all depends on your frame. I have a very small frame (narrow hips, narrow shoulders). 160 might be suitable for someone with a larger frame than me but at the weight I'm at now, I can tell you I can EASILY lose another 15-20 lbs
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    50lbs down
  • CoderGal
    Options

If you're referring to the BMI at her age 115 is still in the healthy range, less then that not so much. People shouldn't go by that if they're a healthy active person though. If an eating order is involved, that's a different story.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6'', and this is NONE of my business so I'm sorry in advance for possibly offending you, but...

A healthy BMI for me says 119-154. (then again, I'm 27) So you are reaching for an unhealthy weight. But again, perhaps you ignore BMI (which many do, I agree it's not 100% perfect because it doesn't take muscle or fat into consideration) so hopefully your goal has been discussed with a doctor and you are fine.

To answer your actual question, I lost 75 pounds a year ago, and have kept 33 of it off... does that count? Probably not! But I'm working on it. :-)
  • erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ATTENTION TO EVERYONE WHO IS ATTEMPTING TO WARN ME OF MY GOAL WEIGHT:

I have been below 110 and still looked and was very healthy. BMI isn't always accurate. Body builders are way above their BMI but are as healthy as can be. Aside from my hips, I have a very small frame and will have no health risks at my goal weight I can assure you.

Thank you for the concern though.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I'm 6'1" (super tall, I know lol). Prior to joining this site, I went from 230 to 166(ish, about 64lbs lost). My goal is to be 140lbs. So, God willing, by the end of this, I'll have lost 90lbs. A girl can dream!!!

Once again when going by the BMI the 140 is in the normal range for her age. With exercise, that can be achieved no problem if she doesn't have any health problems. Especially since she's taller, she'll be able to eat much more then most women. If people are eating over 2000 calories, trying to get their nutrients from food, and are't exercising excessively, I'm happy :P

Me? I tetter over 118 (the lowest healthy number). I also exercise. This is higher then I've been for most of my life (aside from last year when I gained 30 lbs). For most of my life, I've been underweight. Since there were a bunch of rumors going around in highschool about me being anorexic, when I was at the doctor I asked him if I was unhealthy and told him about the rumors and asked if I should be concerned. He actually laughed and shoved me like I told the funniest of jokes and assured me I was healthier then most. Just because your listed as underweight doesn't mean your unhealthy...especially if you can sit naturally in that range without much trouble due to activity and don't run into any health problems.
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, started at 151, currently 136 and aiming for 126; I start to look unhealthy if I go too far below that.
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired by the people who can lose huge numbers - even though I'm only trying to shed about 5 more pounds.

I'm 5'7" and took a "before" pic in January at 157 and just recently a pic at 151 lbs. I think just the 6 pounds made a difference on me. The picture is on my profile - but I have no idea how to put pictures on message boards like this.

We are all built different and you just have to be comfortable with yourself. 150 is actually a really good number for me since I am a little more muscular and have "big bones" or whatever you want to call it - I feel good there even though it's technically at the higher end of the normal BMI range for my height. I know many 5'7" women who are in the 120s and if I personally was down to 120, I'd look like I have a disease/eating disorder and would be constantly weak and lethargic because I like to eat and there is no way I can eat to maintain 120. But that's just me and my thoughts based on my comfortability with my own frame. It's your personal choice and if you are happy at a lower weight and aren't endangering your body to the point of malnutrition or losing your period, then good for you.

Thanks for the topic. It's a good one that many of us forget about with all the huge losses out there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!