Canned Tuna Help

Options

Replies

• ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like it out of the tin with vinegar and black pepper.
  • Hollie704
    Hollie704 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I make a Tuna Salad with Avocado.

1 can tuna
    1 - 1 1/2 ripe avocados
    1 chopped tomato
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    salt and pepper to taste

I mash up the avocado, then add the other ingredients and mix it all up. I eat it on sandwich thins, bread or put it on some lettuce.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I take a regular can of tuna, chop up some celery, mix it together and wrap it up in lettuce as a wrap. It's crunchy + tasty and really easy to make. I hate cooking.. :tongue:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Straight out of the can with a spoon, no spices. You can do it.
    That's often how I eat it.

That's how I do it. Three cans a day. 300 calories. 66 g of protein.
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i like it with a small jacket potato and beans or mixed with brown pasta sweetcorn and onions
  • artsykris
    artsykris Posts: 26
    Options
    Do you think Greek yogurt would work in place of the mayo for the tuna burgers?
  • porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    a box of mac and cheese, any brand. make it a stir in the tuna. Its yummy, I just add some pepper.

In our house growing up we call this "red neck casserole" and it included a can of drained peas. Love it!!!
    Me Too! :glasses:
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We do like a hot rice salad thing? Just some veggies fried up in a bit of 1 cal spray, some cooked brown rice and drained tuna. We normally add come chilli and garlic and soy, ginger and mirin if we have it. A good go to meal for using up veggies :)
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This is what I made for dinner last night and it was delicious... (only changes I made was using seasoned bread crumbs on top and real garlic because that's what I had)

5 cups cooked pasta- I recommend whole wheat rotini

2 cans tuna, drained and flaked with a fork

2 cups peas, fresh or frozen

2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 cup milk

½ cup grated parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup finely crushed french fried onions (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Combine the pasta, tuna, and peas in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the soup, milk, cheese, garlic powder, and pepper, and pour over the top of the pasta mixture. Stir to combine and pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle the french fried onions evenly over the top and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.

And if you don't like that.. Tuna noodle salad is good too. Just combine sea shell noodles, tuna, hard boiled eggs and onion (if you like) along with some salt and pepper and some light mayo.
  • determined1221
    determined1221 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    my current favorite tuna recipe is a can of tuna, mixed with 1 oz of cream cheese (warmed up) and 2 tbs of salsa
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    This one sounds weird, but I promise it's really good:
    2 c. (when dry) Macaroni noodles (I use whole wheat for the extra fiber)
    Just enough Olive Oil Mayo to lightly coat the cooked noodles (usually around 2 or 3 Tbsp.
    1 c, Sweet peas
    1 can of tuna
    Yields about four or five servings.

Also:
    Make tuna salad like you would for a sandwich.
    Place a bed of lettuce on a plate.
    Take a medium to large tomato and cut it into wedges from the top to the bottom, but do not cut all the way through (it should look like a flower).
    Put the tomato on top of the lettuce, then stuff it with the tuna salad.
    YUMMO!
  • tallyglenn
    tallyglenn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like fresh lemon juice on my canned tuna. Replace the water the lemon juice. I am going to try cutting the lemon into small bits and mix it in next.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    sweat chopped onions in a pan, whipped eggs x 2.....slap the tuna in the pan, until warmed through....add the eggs......

a fab tasting omelette........and good for you too

oooo this sounds the BEST!!
  • Des0528
    Des0528 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump! Love tuna :)
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I make my tuna salad sandwich a little different, good if you like salty over sweet:

Dice up onions, green olives to mix with tuna, use a tiny bit of mayo (just enough to hold it together, I hate mayo so this is easy for me) and eat on toasted wheat bread. YUM. Also good to add tomato slices.
  • butjuli
    butjuli Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Here's another one (which i am eating right now lol)

Tuna mixed with a little mayo, spread onto a wheat tortilla (i use la tortilla factory) and topped with about a tablespoon of pico de gallo (which is basically just diced tomatoes, onions and jalapenos)

So good!
  • fieldsbean
    fieldsbean Posts: 35
    Options
    two tablespoons olive oil mayo and some toasted sesame crackers..or just over your favorite lettuce..i adore tuna it is so great.
  • gryphalkon
    gryphalkon Posts: 21
    Options
    Tuna Burgers- using canned tuna
    I found this recipe on allrecipes.com... I substituted light Miracle Whip for regular mayonnaise, which along with ketchup and other seasonings gave this a nice tangy flavor... Excellent cheap meal!

Minutes to Prepare: 45Minutes to Cook: 8Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients
    2 six oz cans Tuna, in water
    2 large eGgs
    1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1/3 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
    1/2 cup light miracle whip
    4 tbsps ketchup
    1 tsp dill weed, dry
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    Hot pepper sauce to taste (3 dashes)
    Worcestershire sauce to tast (3 dashes)

Directions
    1. Combine tuna, egg, bread crumbs, onion, celery, red bell pepper, mayonnaise, chili sauce, dill, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to make the patties easier to handle, if desired.

2. Shape into 8 patties (mixture will be very soft and delicate).

3. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray; fry tuna patties for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. These are fragile, so be careful when turning them.

Serve on buns with tomato slices and lettuce leaves, if desired.

Serving Size: 8 patties

Number of Servings: 8

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 154.3
    Total Fat: 3.9 g
    Cholesterol: 62.8 mg
    Sodium: 766.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
    Protein: 14.3 g

Hope this helps!!!!!!

bumping this recipe for later. sounds delish and easy.
    also quoting for later, sounds soo good.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love it mixed with rotini, chopped onion, a little dill relish, light mayo... I add red seedless grapes and cubed up apple. I usually do this for lunch. Actually it is what I had for lunch today. Oh, chopped celery if I have it.

I've never had a tuna melt, but see those at cooking sites all the time.