Skipping Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is absolutely fine. The only "evidence" to suggest eating breakfast is that studies done have shown those that skipped breakfast tend to eat more throughout the day than those that do eat breakfast. Basically, those skipping breakfast usually had more calories built up over the 24 hour period.

There is absolutely NO scientific basis to suggest that the mere act of skipping breakfast leads to weight gain. Correlation IS NOT causation.

So long as you count your calories and meet your nutrition needs while remaining in a calorie deficit, you will be fine.

When you are hungry, drink a glass of water and wait a little bit (like 15min), if still hungry, go ahead and go eat.
  • chunkyb
    chunkyb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyone here clearly has their own opinions/beliefs but if you ask me, I'd skip that before-bed snack and move it to breakfast. Its generally accepted that eating right before bed isn't the best for you, and I suspect that if you skip that, maybe replace with a glass of water, you'll be hungry for breakfast in the morning.

My 2 cents.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I personally eat breakfast because if i dont i will eat like crazy for the rest of the day, but i agree with others do what works for you and just eat when you are hungry, i also eat every couple of hours if i dont i can tell then i start craving all really bad stuff, i guess i have my body on a somewhat schedule when it comes to eating, but again if what you doing works for you and from the pounds lossed it looks like it is keep going with it!!! :smile:
  • desertowman
    desertowman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always skipped breakfast because I never had the time, and then I got use to not eating it. I usually eat a late lunch and then dinner. I'm trying to not eat after 5, but since I work till then, this is kinda hard.
  • lovespicyfood
    lovespicyfood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Until I began this journey, I rarely ate breakfast. But, I was a snacker and ate way too much after dinner and late at night. I have found that eating breakfast now eases my late night snacking cravings. I don't eat a lot for breakfast, usually ~250-300 calories.

Everyone is different and obviously you are seeing progress so I wouldn't change your routine. However, if you plateau and struggle, I'd re-evaluate skipping breakfast.

Good luck!
  • p_m_g
    p_m_g Posts: 5
    Options
    Actually there have been studies that show that eating breakfast, lunch and dinner show a link to greater weight loss.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/13/three-simple-weight-loss-strategies-that-work/
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking, I eat breakfast everyday. It is a good way to start your metabolism and I feel like I get more from the meal as a result. That being said, if you feel like your current routine is working then stick with it unless you are looking to change things up.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Actually there have been studies that show that eating breakfast, lunch and dinner show a link to greater weight loss.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/13/three-simple-weight-loss-strategies-that-work/

Should read what you link to. The "study" says people skipping meals tend to over compensate their calories later (correlation, not causation).

Additionally, it suggests REGULAR meals. Meaning eating at the same intervals every day. So if your interval does not include the standard conception of breakfast, then that is fine.

The study you mention is in regards to skipping regular meals, not specific meals as designated by ideology (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner).

Calories in vs Calories out. Not what time you eat them. You body does not magically not absorb calories before 10am or during a blue moon or whatever crazy timing idea pops up next.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i skip breakfast because i'd rather save my calories for later in the day. if i eat breakfast i'm hungry an hour later no matter what i eat. i have found for myself that if i eat something large in the morning i just want to eat allll day long! if i eat something small or skip breakfast entirely i control myself a lot better. i still eat my entire calories just much later in the day. i'm also a late night snacker so i like to be sure to have enough calories for something later.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    i skip breakfast because i'd rather save my calories for later in the day. if i eat breakfast i'm hungry an hour later no matter what i eat. i have found for myself that if i eat something large in the morning i just want to eat allll day long! if i eat something small or skip breakfast entirely i control myself a lot better. i still eat my entire calories just much later in the day. i'm also a late night snacker so i like to be sure to have enough calories for something later.

I am exactly the same way.
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    As it relates to weight loss, I’m not sure of the correct answer. I’m a chronic “non-breakfast” eater, and I honestly think it’s been detrimental. I have found that whenever I do try to lose weight, it comes off much faster if I do eat breakfast regularly. It also means I’m hungry all day long, whereas if I don’t eat breakfast, I can go most of the day without eating. This seems to corroborate the notion that eating early turns on the metabolism for the rest of the day, at least in my case.

But there’s another reason to eat breakfast not related to weight management. It has to do with blood sugar levels. I was recently doing some research on how to lower blood sugar levels because I have been steadily creeping toward “pre-diabetic” levels over the last several years. Without getting too technical, adult onset diabetes is usually related to the body developing an insulin resistance. Insulin is needed to break down the glucose derived from what we eat. The more insulin the pancreas has to secrete over time to handle the blood glucose, the less effective that insulin becomes. Then it has to secrete more to keep up with glucose levels. Over time, it can’t keep up, and blood sugar rises along with the insulin resistance. Since insulin is secreted in direct response to how much glucose there is to handle, eating smaller meals more often will help level out the amount needed. With each small meal, only a small amount of insulin is needed. And if these meals are spread out throughout the day, it allows for a steady state blood glucose level, rather than peaks and valleys.

If you ate only one meal a day, but that meal was 1,400 calories, you still might lose weight. But you’d create a situation where the pancreas has to secrete a huge amount of insulin to handle that much food. And it’s the large amount of insulin that can cause the body to become resistant to its effects.

So it stands to reason that breakfast is important, not only because there might be metabolism benefits, but it also helps to smooth out the blood glucose curves and allows for as little insulin use as possible. That’s a clear benefit that makes sense to me. Hence, I eat a small breakfast (since I’m not really hungry), then I snack on healthy things all day long (since I’m hungry the rest of the day). I just have to make sure that lunch and supper are not gigantic meals. I’m able to stay within my calorie range, and I’m helping my body by allowing it to not have to use much insulin.

For what it’s worth…
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you :)

I hardly eat breakfast because I simply don't get hungry until 10 or later, so when my tummy does start rumbling, I usually have some fruit which holds me over until I eat lunch at noon :)

As long as you are getting in your calories & nutrients, no worries.

❤M
  • txcaveman
    txcaveman Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    VVV THIS is one of the best written post I have read in a while VVV
    As it relates to weight loss, I’m not sure of the correct answer. I’m a chronic “non-breakfast” eater, and I honestly think it’s been detrimental. I have found that whenever I do try to lose weight, it comes off much faster if I do eat breakfast regularly. It also means I’m hungry all day long, whereas if I don’t eat breakfast, I can go most of the day without eating. This seems to corroborate the notion that eating early turns on the metabolism for the rest of the day, at least in my case.

But there’s another reason to eat breakfast not related to weight management. It has to do with blood sugar levels. I was recently doing some research on how to lower blood sugar levels because I have been steadily creeping toward “pre-diabetic” levels over the last several years. Without getting too technical, adult onset diabetes is usually related to the body developing an insulin resistance. Insulin is needed to break down the glucose derived from what we eat. The more insulin the pancreas has to secrete over time to handle the blood glucose, the less effective that insulin becomes. Then it has to secrete more to keep up with glucose levels. Over time, it can’t keep up, and blood sugar rises along with the insulin resistance. Since insulin is secreted in direct response to how much glucose there is to handle, eating smaller meals more often will help level out the amount needed. With each small meal, only a small amount of insulin is needed. And if these meals are spread out throughout the day, it allows for a steady state blood glucose level, rather than peaks and valleys.

If you ate only one meal a day, but that meal was 1,400 calories, you still might lose weight. But you’d create a situation where the pancreas has to secrete a huge amount of insulin to handle that much food. And it’s the large amount of insulin that can cause the body to become resistant to its effects.

So it stands to reason that breakfast is important, not only because there might be metabolism benefits, but it also helps to smooth out the blood glucose curves and allows for as little insulin use as possible. That’s a clear benefit that makes sense to me. Hence, I eat a small breakfast (since I’m not really hungry), then I snack on healthy things all day long (since I’m hungry the rest of the day). I just have to make sure that lunch and supper are not gigantic meals. I’m able to stay within my calorie range, and I’m helping my body by allowing it to not have to use much insulin.

For what it’s worth…
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I found I was skipping breakfast then an hour later was snacking on crisps and chocolate so I started taking yogurts to work and an apple

I can't say I've noticed a difference in my weight as yet but I definitely feel better for it

I think every person is different tho and you should listen to your body :)

X
  • smuggyb
    smuggyb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. Here are some reasons why: http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat about 200 calories or less for breakfast (usually coffee with a splash of cream and some toast with jam). I HATE eating breakfast, but I'm on meds that require it. Otherwise, I wouldn't.
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have not been a breakfast eater myself, mostly because I am not hungry when I first get up and don't feel like eating, However, I recently had a consultation with an outstanding nutritionist who said that it is very important to eat breakfast and suggested a nonfat yogurt with fruit and perhaps a few Grapenuts on top, or a smoothie. Now that sounded do-able to me as it is not very filing or heavy. Perhaps that type of item for breakfast might be helpful for you by being so light or being a beverage so it doesn't set off other eating?
  • Stefanie99
    Stefanie99 Posts: 45
    Options
    I believe I eat more when I eat breakfast. But since I work days, I have to eat breakfast otherwise I get sick/shaky.

Before, when I worked evenings though, I never ate until 12 or 1 in the afternoon, would have a regular-size lunch, then not eat again until 6 or 7 at night, and have a big dinner. That's it.

Since I've worked days, I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and usually 1 snack, occasionally 2. Probably explains why I've gained 40+ pounds since switching to days (almost 2 years ago).

I think you can make it work either way, though. Since starting here, I'm creating more regular eating patterns and learning how to control my portion sizes - portion control is more important than anything, I think.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    YES, YOU ARE DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

We have all heard the line "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Why is this? Well, your body is literally fasting overnight. You must break that fast in order to JUMPSTART your METABOLISM. While we sleep, our metabolism slows down to a crawl...if you do not jumpstart it with food within 30 minutes of rising, it will continue to crawl. It's very counter intuitive to want to lose weight but accept a sluggish metabolism.

There are also the factors of providing your body and brain with fuel. Remember how we are told to always eat in the morning before an exam in school when we were younger...it's not a cliche. It's real ****.

Eating later in the day also opens you up to the risk of gorging on foods later.

If you are hungry - you may want to consider changing what you are eating and how often you are eating. Start with lots of protein, at each meal. Protein is your #1 priority. Veggies are #2. Fruit is dessert or #3. If eaten as a snack, make sure you eat some protein first (nuts, protein shakes, meat, whatever.)

Meet with a nutritionist and go over your options. You CAN do this. It's a lifestyle change. For anyone who tells you to "go with what you know" or "do what feels right" they want you to succeed, but they are NOT providing you with the correct information.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast every day because once I start eating I find it hard to stop. I typically eat lunch around 1:00 then try not to eat again until dinner then one light snack before bed. Am I doing more harm then good by doing this?

Studies have already proven that it doesn't matter when you eat. As long as you meet your calorie goals (and in a deficit) you will lose weight. I've seen plenty of successful people on this forum; one eats a single meal per day and it is like 2000 or 3000 calories, another eats 3 meals a day, personally I eat anywhere from 4 to 6 depending on my hunger levels.