How do you suppress post-workout appetite?

Options

Replies

• angryyrobot
    angryyrobot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do a shake -

3 cups baby spinach
    2 TBS PB2
    2 cups vanilla almond unsweetened milk
    2 truvia/stevia packets

Sometimes I add 1 TBS cocoa powder

ice

blend

Sooo yummy and def. takes care of the hunger

If it's a weight lifting day, I'll add protein powder

I will try this! Thank you!
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER AND ROUTINE!! If I guzzle a big glass of water then take a shower if I need it that usually sets me straight. =) I also cook my breakfast every morning (I eat 1/2 c of yogurt while I wait for my eggs to poach, coffee to brew, and bread to toast). This process works well for me, and usually my brain & stomach are on the same page by the end of breakfast.

I definitely need to eat better breakfasts haha :)
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    I generally plan my workouts to end just prior to a normal meal, and then eat my normal meal after the workout. I personally don't feel hungry after working out at all, it just happens to be the times that are convenient for me to exercise.

luck you -_- not the case with me. i will eat almost anything in sight.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm hus like you! Especially if I run or cycle. Two things have helped me get a handle on it:
    1) lots and lots of water
    2) I plan into my day to eat a snack after my workiut (I always go at night -just my life) . Ive found oatmeal with a handful of almonds and a little honey really satisfy!
  • angryyrobot
    Options
    I'm hus like you! Especially if I run or cycle. Two things have helped me get a handle on it:
    1) lots and lots of water
    2) I plan into my day to eat a snack after my workiut (I always go at night -just my life) . Ive found oatmeal with a handful of almonds and a little honey really satisfy!

ahh thank you, i am quite a fan of that idea :) i also love oatmeal
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    betcha you have hundreds of calories left over every day
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is very common and even more so with weight training. Your metabolic rate increases post workout in order to repair the muscle. This is why post workout protein will help improve strength and results of your workout. Some carbs can be beneficial as well to restore the deplete glycogen.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i don't have this problem usually because i have a routine. over the course of my workout/after, i drink about 1 full liter of cold water. a protein shake immediately after (at least 20 grams of protein) and then a snack or small meal about 2 hours later.
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I drink a small protein shake
    :-)
    yum!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I eat.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I don't get hungry right after a workout, it's the next morning! I'm transitioning to a vegetarian lifestyle and I swear I would rush tackle a cow for some beef the morning after a workout, I'm so hungry HAHA.

I drink a protein shake after a workout to regain some calories and protein, though.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat after working out.
    Just keep fats low since it doesnt help with recovery.

High protein and starchy carbs go a long way after a workout.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Protein for me. Shakes are a quick way to get something after your workout. But for me the protein helps keep me from getting hungry for a while
  • johnsonjohn
    Options
    bump, for later. would like to keep up with this one
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I allocate a decent amount of Calories for my after work out meal, which also happens to be Dinner, I don't suppress it but I also don't over do it... usually consume around 500 cals after a workout at least 30 grams of protein. and another protein shake before sleep. so I usually have about 700 calories waiting for me in the evening
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, after exercising, I just simply am not hungry at all and have a hard time even swallowing food. But, I try to ensure I make a few egg whites to eat after a work out so I have something.

MY brain is what makes the choices, not my feelings. So, I know it needs fuel and I tell the body to obey!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I take on fluid, usually water, as I train. And I usually plan my exercise to be before a meal so that I can eat after. Almonds are a real good way to stave off hunger pains and I use the Danno Danimal Smoothies on the days where my meal is still a couple of hours away. Feed your hunger otherwise you teach your body to horde fat, but just have your snacks planned out before hand. MFP has taught me to be wiser about my food choices.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A post workout really thick protein shake is my favorite for satisfying me, plus it's cold so it cools me down and energizes me :)
    Go for something low cal and bulky like shakes, egg white omlets, veggies, etc. Also drinking a couple iced coffees with a splash of almond of skim milk and some sugar free syrup afterwards should really help to satisfy any emotional "I need a reward" cravings. :P
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Post workout is the BEST time to eat. Just eat slowly to prevent overeating.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I suppress mine with food! :happy: If I'm hungry I eat. But something healthy. It'll keep that ole metabolism up.