Spreadsheet for BMR/TDEE Deficit calc, Macro calc, HRM

Options

Replies

• bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    WOW. . . there are several TDEE spreadsheets floating around the discussion boards but this is the first one that i understand.

Thanks for all your work on this! It's very helpful :flowerforyou:
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Bump
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.....
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've been tinkering with this spreadsheet more and more and I must say that this is brilliant! I'm extremely big into spreadsheets and never actually thought to make one with calculations such as this!

Thank you so much!
  • 79kimmy
    79kimmy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump....Thanks for sharing!!!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    :bump:
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump, and thanks
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    bump Thank you for doing this!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've been tinkering with this spreadsheet more and more and I must say that this is brilliant! I'm extremely big into spreadsheets and never actually thought to make one with calculations such as this!

Thank you so much!

There is a reason why I dropped assembly language programming in high school - obsessive was word used.

Still comes out sometimes, but this is shorter specific focus, so not so bad. Oh wait, I just thought of something!
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    thanks for doing this!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    WOW. . . there are several TDEE spreadsheets floating around the discussion boards but this is the first one that i understand.

Thanks for all your work on this! It's very helpful :flowerforyou:

It was comments on some of those others that I used as improvements to this one.

And seeing how folks got confused on some website calculators that are not clear.
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To clear up confusion in my own head: using the spreadsheet and the average BF% given by gymgoal I would need to INCREASE my daily intake compared to what MFP recommends? Does this sound right? Is this to prevent plateaus?
    Katch gives me BMR of 1620 whereas if I tell MFP to guide me it says I should net 1480, based on current figures and desire to lose 1 1/2 per week? I have been on the site 4 weeks so far and have actually lost about 2.6 kgs (regardless of ticker).
    Disclaimer - I have very high BF% (not sure if this affects things)!
    Thanks for the tools and the input!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    To clear up confusion in my own head: using the spreadsheet and the average BF% given by gymgoal I would need to INCREASE my daily intake compared to what MFP recommends? Does this sound right? Is this to prevent plateaus?
    Katch gives me BMR of 1620 whereas if I tell MFP to guide me it says I should net 1480, based on current figures and desire to lose 1 1/2 per week? I have been on the site 4 weeks so far and have actually lost about 2.6 kgs (regardless of ticker).
    Disclaimer - I have very high BF% (not sure if this affects things)!
    Thanks for the tools and the input!

Your BMR is not the same thing as your calorie target for the day; BMR is just one step along the way of figuring that out. The specifics are different for every person, but the basic idea is:

1) Figure out your BMR (we'll use 1620 for you).

2) Estimate the number of calories you're burning beyond your BMR in a day. Some people just multiply their BMR by a certain number based on activity level, some try to add up the estimated calorie burn of specific activities, or a combination of the two. For this example, I'm just going to assume a Sedentary activity level (desk job) with no exercise, for a multiplier of roughly 1.2. That brings our estimated calorie burn from 1620 to 1944.

3) Now you need to select a reasonable calorie deficit. A deficit of 500 calories per day should lose an average of 1 pound per week (though it's almost never that consistent, in my experience, but it works out over time). So your target in this example would be 1444 (1944 - 500). There are many people who will tell you never to eat less than your BMR, but that's not really important for what I'm explaining at the moment. Just going through the process of picking a calorie target.

Sounds like MFP is estimating your calorie burn to be higher than what I just made up, since you're targeting 1.5 pounds per week. That would mean your TDEE (total calorie burn for the day) is 2230.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crzylizard99
    Options
    bump for later
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options

1) Figure out your BMR (we'll use 1620 for you).

3) .... There are many people who will tell you never to eat less than your BMR, but that's not really important for what I'm explaining at the moment.

This IS the bit that's got me confused at the moment - whether one should or shouldn't be eating below BMR.

My lifestyle (job) is pretty sedentary other than when I exercise so the exercise calories are separate and monitored on a HRM. (Approx 2400 cals a week).

I have lost in the few weeks I've been here but not necessarily at the targeted rate so I'm looking to "tweak" things.
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!
This discussion has been closed.