Exercise Question for the Ladies?????

Options
Hey all,

I've decided to get my big (soon to be small) butt back into gear but I have a question for you lovely ladies.

How do you cope with exercising during ttotm?

I've found in the past (it's been a while since I've done any exercise) that when I excerise during ttotm I find that I get severe stomach cramps afterward which turns me off exercising during that time (though majority of those times I admit has probably been more of an excuse than anything else).

Would love to get any advice on how to combat this, or whether others have a similar problem. I'm not sure if it's due to my being overweight (or obese according to my BMI) or whether my body isn't used it and is going into overdrive.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kate

Replies

• ejacobsen25
    ejacobsen25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi...maybe you could try just taking a brisk walk on the days you have your period...or do some pilates and/or yoga. The stretching always helps me with the achy back I get during my time of the month. Try just taking it easier with your workouts maybe
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I was out walking last night and got that telltale dull ache - got home to find my monthly had arrived...

I usually stick to strength training or walking for those 3-4 days a month. I feel ill after a massive cardio session (running, boxing, elliptical), but always feel like it shouldn't be an excuse to do NOTHING. It is a reason to eat a massive steak though... yum!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm only a lady when I wear high heels, does that count? J/K

Straight as an arrow!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I suffer from debilitating cramps during day 1 and sometimes day 2. If I need to, I take those days off, it's your body and you need to listen to it. If you can't do it, you can't do it and a day or 2 won't really set you back much if you jump right back into when you are up to it! Good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    pop in some ibuprofen 1-2 hours before. You'll be fine.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I push through my normal workouts and find I feel better afterwards, I have yet to determine if it's the working out that makes me feel better, or the scolding hot bubble bath afterwards lol
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cramps...I power through them, but mine are down to my knees and up to my shoulders. So, Mydol and exercise and I just make sure I'm hydrating, keeping it going to rest.

I would rather be on my elliptical crying rather than on the couch in a ball crying...
  • Khintersehr
    Options
    I agree with that. Excercising during that time is supposed to be beneficial. Just try to stay away from heavy exercise and stick with the walking and stretching. Keep up the good work.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I actually find that moving more during my time of the month helps. The more you sit still, the crampier and more miserable you'll be
  • dxwatson2
    dxwatson2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I push through my normal workouts and find I feel better afterwards, I have yet to determine if it's the working out that makes me feel better, or the scolding hot bubble bath afterwards lol

I find the same. Usually I feel disgusting and have to convince myself to work out, but if I start walking I've noticed I don't have such bad cramps.
  • chellelabella
    chellelabella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to ride my bike or do yoga at these times. The yoga was a really nice stretch and the bike riding was enough cardio without causing too much strain on my stomach and abdomen, which was nice as well.

Swimming has always helped me too, but that's dependent upon how comfortable you are swimming during your totm.

It's funny that you say this though, because exercise always helps my cramps, lol :)

Best of luck!
    ~Chelle
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use those first few hell days for pampering so I can get back on track once I feel better. Bubble baths and catching up on some extra sleep kick *kitten*. I just make sure I don't over do the french fries and chocolate cravings.
  • morganmay92
    Options
    hmm I'm not sure, I would push through because my last TOTM my cramps were very mild! the exercise did help so much! just keep doing it...exercise is good to ease the pain. Make sure you cut out caffeine, salts and sweets...because those worsen cramps. But movement is good for cramps even if you just wanna lay down..just give it time hun.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i never feel better exercising during TOM, usually worse, but dr keeps claiming i will. I take one tylenol and one advil and just go slow. I haven't found anything better.
  • angiejo666
    angiejo666 Posts: 11
    Options
    It has always helped to alleviate my cramping or backaches or whatever. It takes a lot to want to get up and move...but once done I always feel better. :happy:
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've actually found that exercising helps with my monthly visitor. But if the oposit is true for you, then don't worry to much about it, you can try taking some sort of pain killer if that works, or you can just take it easy, take a walk instead of running or whatever you would normaly do.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Howdy... I am obese, and while I tend to have some cramping, I just push through it. I don't want to let the inconvenience of a few days take away from my working out. Nothing changes during my cycle, other than I tend to retain some water weight that usually drops off within a few days (sometimes I even lose through it, which is awesome). As others have suggested, perhaps some ibuprofen would help out if taken before the work out? I would suggest doing something though... I know if I were to do nothing, I would feel worse than dealing with some discomfort while working out.

Good luck! :O)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Start taking ibuprofen AS SOON as you feel it coming. That blocks what ever hormone that makes you have cramps. =) It works for me.. Soon as it actually gets here I take a naproxin in the morning, and before bed. =)
  • rmalcolm_88
    Options
    i generally avoid doing strenuous exercise on those days and do yoga or take a fast walk or a short bike ride. i also don't do any exercise on the heaviest days because that is when cramps and back pain are the worst for me so i take those days off.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    midol.