Canned Tuna Help

Options

Replies

• LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options
    I often eat "lean meals" for lunch at work, like an alfredo or some other pasta type, (usually ones that don't have meat in them already) and add tuna to those to give me added protein. I buy tuna in bulk and always have extra cans at work in case I need something.... I also mix it with just Grey Poupon Creamy Dijon (no calories) with whole grain crackers.... keeps calorie count low and still very filling!
  • donnashep07
    Options
    I used to make Tuna omeletts for my kids and they loved it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This one sounds weird, but I promise it's really good:
    2 c. (when dry) Macaroni noodles (I use whole wheat for the extra fiber)
    Just enough Olive Oil Mayo to lightly coat the cooked noodles (usually around 2 or 3 Tbsp.
    1 c, Sweet peas
    1 can of tuna
    Yields about four or five servings.

I make this "cold tuna" salad all the time .... I like to add sliced celery & chopped hard boiled eggs

Also - Tuna salad made with chopped granny smith apples & chopped red pepper - Yum
  • rinalee2
    rinalee2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Whatever recipe you use, consider getting Tuna that's sustainably caught so our oceans will be healthy and full enough to provide for future generations!

Here's a fact sheet on canned Tuna. :smile:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=77
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Tuna Burgers- using canned tuna
    I found this recipe on allrecipes.com... I substituted light Miracle Whip for regular mayonnaise, which along with ketchup and other seasonings gave this a nice tangy flavor... Excellent cheap meal!

Minutes to Prepare: 45Minutes to Cook: 8Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients
    2 six oz cans Tuna, in water
    2 large eGgs
    1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1/3 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
    1/2 cup light miracle whip
    4 tbsps ketchup
    1 tsp dill weed, dry
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    Hot pepper sauce to taste (3 dashes)
    Worcestershire sauce to tast (3 dashes)

Directions
    1. Combine tuna, egg, bread crumbs, onion, celery, red bell pepper, mayonnaise, chili sauce, dill, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to make the patties easier to handle, if desired.

2. Shape into 8 patties (mixture will be very soft and delicate).

3. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray; fry tuna patties for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. These are fragile, so be careful when turning them.

Serve on buns with tomato slices and lettuce leaves, if desired.

Serving Size: 8 patties

Number of Servings: 8

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 154.3
    Total Fat: 3.9 g
    Cholesterol: 62.8 mg
    Sodium: 766.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
    Protein: 14.3 g

Hope this helps!!!!!!

This sounds amazing!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, Other than Tuna Helper (ew :P) and Tuna sandwiches, what are some good dinner ideas that I can use canned tuna with? I recently bought some after seeing the nutritional value and have no idea what to do with it!

Tuna and noodles at our house (tuna, egg noodles, and cream of mushroom soup).

I don't know if you like salmon, but try subbing in tuna in a salmon-cake recipe.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Tuna mixed with flavored hummus, wrapped in romaine leaves *nomnom*
  • cholly711
    cholly711 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tuna Muffins ( because you cook them in muffin tins)
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/tuna_muffins.html

It's tuna, veggies, egg, and cheese... Very easy to make

I make the bigger batch to have some for family dinner and some left over. I also tweak it a little (amount of cheese) so that each 'muffin' is 110 calories
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually mix a can of tuna with 1-2 Tbsp Miracle Whip Light, 1 Tbsp of relish, a little squirt of mustard and a chopped boiled egg. I then place this on 3 Cups of romaine and drizzle with 2 Tbsp Raspberry Vinaigrette Light with a couple turns of black pepper.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the replies. Today I used my first couple cans. Made a delicious platter of stuffed peppers with jalapenos and broccoli. YUM!

3edRMl.jpg
  • junnieYJ
    junnieYJ Posts: 6
    Options
    Awesome ideas here! Bump!
  • LJSchmitt
    LJSchmitt Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mix drained tuna in broccoli/raison salad. It is really good. Sounds terrible - but good.. Also, drained tuna mixed in with a low-sweetened or no-sweetened cole slaw is good. A little chopped apple mixed in is good too.
  • tjoyjohn
    tjoyjohn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ...soooo trying those tuna burgers, they sound delicous!
  • smf9
    smf9 Posts: 1
    Options
    CHopped Cucumbers, squeezed fresh lime and cilantro sprinkled with a bit of sea salt :) SO good!
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Straight out of the can with a spoon, no spices. You can do it.

I always add lemon pepper to it :)
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • sdcohen85
    sdcohen85 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love tuna salad. Drain the tuna and mix it with plain greek yogurt to add even more protein. Then put in any seasonings and veggies you like. If you want to be fancy you can hollow out a tomato and eat it out of that, or a bell pepper.

YUM!! I can't wait to try this, this sounds DELICIOUS!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the replies. Today I used my first couple cans. Made a delicious platter of stuffed peppers with jalapenos and broccoli. YUM!

3edRMl.jpg

That looks fantastic! You've even got some of nearly all four food groups!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, Dahllywood!
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'll eat tuna right out of the can, and I love my mother's tuna salad, though there's nothing healthy about it, and it only taste right made "full strength". I think the canned stuff is disgusting in anything hot!