The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't get many insults, but I find it interesting how many people will give me DIET ADVICE! Like I don't know what I'm doing, hello?!?! For instance, this guy that's on a slightly lower carb diet (whereas mine is extremely low) pointed out that I could eat beef jerky for a snack like he does. I had to read him the ingredients to point out that there were at least 3 kinds of sugar in that product. He was like "Oh".

Seriously, folks, this didn't happen by accident.... I know what I'm doing.
  • karolineoberhaus
    karolineoberhaus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Today, someone asked me what I was doing to lose weight. I told her I was going to the gym every day and watching what I eat. She said "seriously? That's it?"

Yep. That's it, lady. Just that tiny little thing of eating literally half of what I used to and spending 3-4 hours every day in the gym. That "it.". Sheesh.
  • Stefxtastic
    Stefxtastic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Today, someone asked me what I was doing to lose weight. I told her I was going to the gym every day and watching what I eat. She said "seriously? That's it?"

Yep. That's it, lady. Just that tiny little thing of eating literally half of what I used to and spending 3-4 hours every day in the gym. That "it.". Sheesh.
    Ha! She either doesn't know what it is like to shed sweat blood and tears at the gym, or she thinks that magical diet pills are the only way you can loose weight..
  • julieoolie
    Options
    I just take it with a grain of salt. Most people are not being malicious, rather trying to be positive...sometimes it just doesn't come out right lol
  • julieoolie
    Options
    I did plan to have surgery, and I'm on a pre-op diet that's going so well that I may not qualify by the time my surgery date rolls around. I'm usually a super open person who doesn't mind answering questions honestly, as long as the person asking doesn't make me feel like a freak show.

I'll tell you the ones that get to me, though:

(Not a question, but a comment) "I don't see why you think you need to lose so much. You're not fat." Bless your heart...I DO own a mirror. I'm just fat, not blind or stupid.

"How much weight do you want to lose?" and when I tell them "oh...are you sure? That's going to be way too much. I think you should aim for (insert arbitrary number here)." Yeah, I don't remember your occupying a seat in the surgeon's office when we set my weight goals. Trust me, I've done my research. I know what a healthy weight is for me.

"Oh, that surgery will never work. My hamster's cousin's uncle's best friend's neighbor had that, and now she weighs 8 million pounds and needs a crane to use the bathroom. Have you tried (insert fad diet of the moment here)?" Why yes...yes I have. A few times. And guess what? It didn't work for me.

"Aren't you afraid you're going to die?" Well yes, as a matter of fact I am. That's why I'm doing something about my weight. I'd rather die knowing I made an attempt than die even more quickly from a preventable illness. P.S. We all die from SOMETHING...I just prefer that my weight not be that something.

And my favorite:

"Isn't it haaaaaaard (they always draw it out like that) switching your diet all up like that?" Yup, you bet it is. It's even harder lugging my extra-wide butt around, and watching my loved ones enjoy things I know I can't do. I promise you, I'm not likely to expire from the effort of eating better. Maybe you should try it, too.

Oh wait...one more...

"Don't you miss chocolate cake/ice cream/double cheeseburgers with extra lard and mayo?" Well, not until you said THAT! (except the double cheeseburger...I hate cheeseburgers and always have) But I'd rather experience a full, active life than repeat the feel of biting into a chocolate cake. I KNOW what that's like...I want new experiences!

Hey girl!
    I just had Lap-Band Surgery on July 12th!
    I am soooo with you on all of those!
    I hate the "you're not THAT big"
    "You don't have THAT much to lose!!"
    I quickly reply with "I am MORBIDLY obese, so yeah I AM that big"
    That usually shuts them right up!
    I'm VERY open with my decision and my weight loss goals. I even have a blog lol
    You can check it out if you want it's
    www.thedandybandy.blogspot.com
    There is such a wonderful community of bloggers out there that I have drawn sooo much inspiration from!
    weight loss surgery is far from an "easy way out" it's not a magic pill and you have to work JUST as hard to lose the weight as anyone else. It's just a tool and any tool can be used incorrectly.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You know, threads like this bother me. There are some really good stories about stupid things people say, but most are what all of us hear day in and day out. I, myself, am kind of tired of hearing many of them now that I am on the receiving end, but I used to say almost all of the things stated here myself because I was trying to be kind. When I would say "You really didn't look like you needed to lose that much weight, but congratulations on your hard work" To me, this was better than saying..."Yeah, you were grossly overweight and it was about time you lost some of it." Really, most people are just trying to be nice. If they didn't say anything at all, implying that they didn't notice your hard work, then you would be upset about that too. How about we give people a break. Share our stories if they want to hear them, find a witty, classy way to answer sincere, yet annoying compliments, or move on when people are idiotic and ignorant. We've earned the right to hold our heads high, if others can't deal with it, it's their problem.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    when people say Whoa you look so effin s e x y now i say HMPFf...i was always S e x y.

Oh I hate it when someone who isn't currently dating you as a chubbier version, takes an over-interest in how your fitness goals are coming together (after you've already lost quite a lot). Ask me out now, *kitten* -- before I hate you for only liking me at my ideal weight.
  • Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    what bothers me is when people that used to 'fat shame' me at every opportunity are now telling me how good I look and showing my picture around to people I don't care about at all. My childhood was marked by humiliation for my weight by these people and now I began getting texts asking me what my 'recipe is' and what I am doing so they could do it too. I got so angry. When I needed support they were there to shame me and break me down. I kept my weight loss a secret as long as I could and now that it's noticeable they can't believe it was only watching what I ate and working out. So in their face!
  • Oblivia17
    Oblivia17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I ran into an ex-boyfriend over the weekend. He made a remark about how great I was looking. I was feeling a bit down about my plateau... so I said "thanks, but I still have a long way to go." I went on to tell him how I still felt so big and that I must have been huge before I started. I even used the word "heinous" in my description of what I thought I must of looked like.

He agreed, saying "yeah... it was pretty bad. Kind of gross".

This is the same person who I ran into 6 months ago... before I started this process. Even then he said I looked "great".

Wow.

A. I think people need to rehearse in their heads what is about to come out of their mouths.
    B. Does this mean I'll see this person in 6 months and he'll tell me how gross I was back in July?
    C. I am reminded once more of why he is an "ex"!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I hated it when I started trying to lose weight that people would tell me that I don't need to lose weight, I was not morbidly obese, but I was not healthy and I wanted to be.

Then as I begin losing weight quite well for my size, people started to tell me to stop etc..

I realised that I used to tell people they don't need to lose weight even though they could stand to lose a bit of extra pudge for sure because I was trying to make them feel okay.
    Now when somebody complains about their weight I offer to help them lose weight rather than say that they don't need to.
    If they reject my help and do not try to cut down on junk food and still complain, I will ignore them.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump. Want to be able to come back and read all of these!
  • tmulrich123
    Options
    "How much weight do you plan on loosing?" my answer.... as much as possible
  • jasminemonique1
    Options
    the craziest thing anyone has ever said to me was are you on drugs......just because I lost a little weight and I didn't even think my weight loss was noticeable. people also tell me I am too small or that I don't need to lose weight I'm not trying to be stick thin but I just want to be in a healthy weight range.
  • jasminemonique1
    Options
    I get the "you're getting too skinny" comment now. Um...still in the overweight BMI thanks.

Also I hate when people comment on what I eat. Sometimes its "that's all you're gonna eat?? you eat like bird" Followed by "you can't eat that cake, you're on a diet" the next day. Make up your mind people. It's all about eating filling/healthy foods in abundance and having a something like cake in moderation. Not rocket science.

this is so true
  • candiliza
    candiliza Posts: 77
    Options
    The most frequent (and also the most frustrating) thing that people ask is, "What kind of diet are you on?" Well, umm, I'm not on a diet. I just started making better choices and getting some exercise. Apparently, that just doesn't compute for most people. Most will continue with, "Well, are you eating low carbs or low fat or what?" I eat what I was eating. I just eat less of it. And, I do sorta watch my sugar intake. Most folks don't want to hear that you're just eating less and exercising. They're looking for a magic bullet that doesn't involve much sacrifice.

The craziest thing said to me was, after I had lost 25 lbs, three people came up to me on the same day and said, "Did you get a haircut?"

I really cannot stand the word "diet." I'm not on a diet just because I have decided to eat less and eat healthier foods. Argh! LOL
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    "Oh look how thin you are, what magic pill did you took?" - Uh sorry but this is all a product of hardwork, dedication & consistency
    "Youre turning into skin and bones" - LMAO!
    "Stop exercising. You don't need to lose anymore weight" - I'm not trying to lose weight, idiot!
    "You're so thin now so stop it & start eating normally" - I use to eat all those gigiantic servings of fatty pork chops, bacons, pasta, McDonalds which you told me before that are bad but now you're telling me they're normal eh? LOL
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    I did plan to have surgery, and I'm on a pre-op diet that's going so well that I may not qualify by the time my surgery date rolls around. I'm usually a super open person who doesn't mind answering questions honestly, as long as the person asking doesn't make me feel like a freak show.

I'll tell you the ones that get to me, though:

(Not a question, but a comment) "I don't see why you think you need to lose so much. You're not fat." Bless your heart...I DO own a mirror. I'm just fat, not blind or stupid.

"How much weight do you want to lose?" and when I tell them "oh...are you sure? That's going to be way too much. I think you should aim for (insert arbitrary number here)." Yeah, I don't remember your occupying a seat in the surgeon's office when we set my weight goals. Trust me, I've done my research. I know what a healthy weight is for me.

"Oh, that surgery will never work. My hamster's cousin's uncle's best friend's neighbor had that, and now she weighs 8 million pounds and needs a crane to use the bathroom. Have you tried (insert fad diet of the moment here)?" Why yes...yes I have. A few times. And guess what? It didn't work for me.

"Aren't you afraid you're going to die?" Well yes, as a matter of fact I am. That's why I'm doing something about my weight. I'd rather die knowing I made an attempt than die even more quickly from a preventable illness. P.S. We all die from SOMETHING...I just prefer that my weight not be that something.

And my favorite:

"Isn't it haaaaaaard (they always draw it out like that) switching your diet all up like that?" Yup, you bet it is. It's even harder lugging my extra-wide butt around, and watching my loved ones enjoy things I know I can't do. I promise you, I'm not likely to expire from the effort of eating better. Maybe you should try it, too.

Oh wait...one more...

"Don't you miss chocolate cake/ice cream/double cheeseburgers with extra lard and mayo?" Well, not until you said THAT! (except the double cheeseburger...I hate cheeseburgers and always have) But I'd rather experience a full, active life than repeat the feel of biting into a chocolate cake. I KNOW what that's like...I want new experiences!

You are hilarious!
    I love you!
    You totally made me laugh.
    :laugh:
    Good luck on the rest of your wt loss journey
  • amelia2033
    amelia2033 Posts: 20
    Options
    congrats great loss
  • jasminemonique1
    Options
    MY MOM SAID THAT SHE WAS GOING TO TAKE ME TO THE DOCTER'S OFFICE LOL MY FAMILY IS USED TO EATING HEAVY MEALS
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    People ask how much I've lost, then say well done, followed by "don't lose any more will you". People would say this when I was still clinically obese, which was very annoying, as I felt as I was letting people down by carrying on- even though I was nowhere near healthy. I guess I looked much slimmer in comparison to my old self though, just not slim enough!