The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    "Oh, that surgery will never work. My hamster's cousin's uncle's best friend's neighbor had that, and now she weighs 8 million pounds and needs a crane to use the bathroom. Have you tried (insert fad diet of the moment here)?" Why yes...yes I have. A few times. And guess what? It didn't work for me.

Love this post! It's not just weight loss that draws these types of comments, there are people out there who know everything about everything and those are the types of people who come out with stuff like this.
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    MIne too has been people asking me what pill I was on. For some reason they had a hard time accepting that I dropped 90 pounds by simple diet and exercise. I try to tell them all the time that I didn't start a diet I changed my life, but they still want to know what the magic pill was. Now I say water, veggies and lots of sunshine :smile:

The cutest for me was my grandma when she saw me last year she was impressed with my weight loss and then expressed concern over how skinny I looked. She gently tapped my leg and said Honey you look too thin, come with me I'm gonna make you a sandwich. LOL I laugh because I know that she is just being who she is and she is grandma and tends to worry a lot. So even though I would have declined that from someone else I allowed that to be my cheat for the week and let her 'tend' to her granddaughter LOL

Ahhh that's so nice :-) I love grandmothers! Lol!
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    My favorite is when a chunky person tries to give me tips about how what I am doing is unhealthy and I lost too much weight too fast ... HUH?! Maybe it seems really fast because they aren't the ones doing it.

Of course, I have been at this for almost a year and a half so that is not fast by any means. They also are the least bit interested when you tell them DIET and EXERCISE ... imagine that ... hmph ... Do I sound annoyed enough or what? People SUCK!
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    "Oh, that surgery will never work. My hamster's cousin's uncle's best friend's neighbor had that, and now she weighs 8 million pounds and needs a crane to use the bathroom. Have you tried (insert fad diet of the moment here)?" Why yes...yes I have. A few times. And guess what? It didn't work for me.

Love this post! It's not just weight loss that draws these types of comments, there are people out there who know everything about everything and those are the types of people who come out with stuff like this.

The best part is that these know it alls usually could stand to loose a pound or a hunded!

SMDH!
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    My family of origin wants to know if I am "Flabby"...

they are such jerks:explode:
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mostly I get comments from family. It drives me nuts when I spend days and days eating healthy and turning down all their snacks and fatty dinners, and then I allow myself a treat...and they immediately say "Oh, so I guess the diet's over now?" or "I guess you gave up the healthy eating thing, huh!" Uh....no, I didn't. I'm letting myself have a treat. It's not a big deal, and I don't need my family trying to give me a complex that I've "given up" every time I want to have a pack of gum!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    How did you do it? I say, "Serving sizes and Play 60, who knew?"
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    I hate it when people try to help, but really arent.
    For example, if im eating and i allow myself another SMALL portion (Lets say for dinner, and i still had alot of calories left), people will say "Why are you eating that." "I thought that you were on a diet" "You dont need that" and when i tell them why or whatever, they just say "Well im just trying to help."

Like... omfg. stfu. :explode: :grumble:
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    Or, when people try to get me into fad diets. My mother was talking to me and said
    "So i know youre trying to lose weight, and i saw this AMAZING diet plan on TV. blahblahblah smoothies blahblahblah 3 square meals a day blahblahblah only 4 payments of 29.99!" I told her how im not dieting, and how im trying to get a better eating lifestyle, and how they dont work, and she got VERY offended, saying how she knows whats right and whats wrong. -.-" :explode:
  • JPO1980
    JPO1980 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mostly I get comments from family. It drives me nuts when I spend days and days eating healthy and turning down all their snacks and fatty dinners, and then I allow myself a treat...and they immediately say "Oh, so I guess the diet's over now?" or "I guess you gave up the healthy eating thing, huh!" Uh....no, I didn't. I'm letting myself have a treat. It's not a big deal, and I don't need my family trying to give me a complex that I've "given up" every time I want to have a pack of gum!

*This*
  • AndreaPool
    AndreaPool Posts: 45
    Options
    One of the guards at my work (a huge bulky tan guy who is - I guess - so manly that he has a hard time figuring out the difference between an actual compliment and an insult) told me this: "If I had known, when I met you, that you were going to look like this, I would have asked you out on a date right away".

Haha... I actually felt bad for him after he figured out that that wasn't really a compliment... Because he's been one of my most supportive people at work and still is... So it really didn't hurt me at all and I still tease him because of it ;)!
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We have a group of 4 that hang out regularly and 3 of us are on MFP and log everything. We plan our days so that we can go out to dinner and we all grab our phones and figure out what we are going to have. The 4th friend (not on MFP and not interested in losing weight apparently) gets super frustrated when we spend the first few minutes of our dinner out with our noses in our phones looking up calories and menu items on the database. It's not really what she says but what she does that's annoying... she will order the most caloric thing on the menu and then eat all of it right in front of us... or she'll order a big appetizer that she knows I would have loved previously. I just eat a small portion and plug it into my iPhone and move on. She does recognize and tell me (now) that I look good and she can really see the weight loss but rather than join us (which she could and should do) she says she's just tall with a large frame and can't really lose weight. Really?!?! I know that several of her health issues would be diminished or eliminated if she would control her portions. Mine certainly have!
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't be complaining about these comments from people! (except one or two ive seen)
    There acknowledging your weight-loss and to ask if your on a diet is almost a natural thing in modern society, after all
    that's all you hear about in magazines and on TV, not how to make healthy choices.
    then after that half the people just dont know what to say! I wouldn't, I'd be Like "OMG,YOUR SO THIN" WOW!" as a compliment, then i literally go blank on what to say, lol. :\
    congratulations to everyone who's lost the weight! :)
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Now that I've dropped 52 pounds in the past 9 months, I get comments such as "you've lost too much, you need to stop". I know what my goal is, and I know, after discussion with my physician, what my "healthy" weight range is. I'm about 15 pounds away from that, so I'm going to keep going.
    When I'm asked why I've decided to lose the weight, I am always happy to share my story. I figure if I can motivate or inspire at least one person to make the changes they need to, then it's worth it!
    I do have to say that the ABSOLUTE CRAZIEST thing someone said to me, was after I had lost about 25 lbs and moved down from size 16/18 clothes to size 10. I was told "I'll hold onto my 16/18s for you for when you need them again". SERIOUSLY? It was rude and disheartening, but I sure didn't let it get me down. See, this was said to me by someone who did the surgical option while I started exercising and modifying my food consumption. Now, I use it DAILY as my inspiration to keep going strong...I've worked hard to get this far, and I'm not going to let it hinder me from reaching my goal!

That's great! Great attitude, I love it!
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Coworket: Are you serious with this s#*t, you trying to be 20 again!?

Me: No if I was trying to be 20 I'd be drunk and sleeping with your wife!
  • Stefxtastic
    Stefxtastic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest my dear grandmother (who is the same height but had a good 15 lbs on me) would tell me everyday that she would pay for my gym membership if I would loose x amount of weight. She told me that she doesn't understand why I am so fat and I must have gotten it from my mothers side (my paternal grandmother). She also takes great pride in showing me pictures of when she was younger and how she was so thin, I think in her mind she still looks like that and it's gross to hear that I don't.
  • Stefxtastic
    Stefxtastic Posts: 17 Member
    Options

OMG! Funniest post I have seen on here!!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    your already thin why are you doing this? Eat a cookie/drink/chipy/takeaway ..... so annoy!! Im not thin yet and when I am I still dont really want to be scoffing takeaways and junk food Im trying to become a healthy person!!!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

hahahaha thats pure amazing!!!!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I get extra annoying comments, I wasn't quite in the overweight category when I changed my food habits this time round but I felt 'big' at 62kg and 5ft 4, I also wanted to get FIT, so I changed my life. Now I understand some concern as I was a size 12 so 'dieting' seems like madness when everyone else around me is a size 16 or above. I've become cagey about my food now, I don't mention if I've lost weight because I get all the worried looks and the 'oh you're so skinny, don't loose more weight, you look ill' blah blah blah. We live with my MIL who particularly tries to make my life difficult by making the unhealthiest dinners ever and expecting me to eat them, won't even boil me some brown rice instead of pasta, moans if I do it myself. I get told I need to eat some cakes or pies almost daily, the kids in the family ask why I go running if I'm not fat (!!!) I get asked what diet I'm doing, how much I'm trying to loose, how much I've lost, what dress size I am now, why can't I eat toasted white bread smothered in butter every morning.

A few of my friends are keeping a close eye on me and understand why, they're the only ones I know in person who know I used to be anorexic. But they see me eating a lot of healthy food, see my food diary, my exercise and realise I'm going to loose weight by getting fit but it's not my goal to loose weight really.

The one that really gets me is people telling me how surely one chocolate bar, biscuit, doughnut, pack of crisps etc won't hurt like I don't know this, but they never listen when I say things like 'i already had some chocolate earlier' and look at me with pity like im lying about it!

Anyway this has turned into a major rant so I apologise lol