Buy a Treadmill or a year long gym membership?

Options

Replies

• kareterra
    kareterra Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree. And you can get gym memberships dirt cheap these days. Much better than a really expensive ugly clothes rack.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and recumbent bike at home, but prefer the gym. During the winter months, I use my home treadmill, and during the summer months I'm outside running or in the gym.
  • jtallwood
    jtallwood Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go for the gym, you can get a more varied work out then. If you mix up your work outs then you will be more likely to go too as you won't be bored.

I was about to say the exact same thing! I would personnaly get bored doing just elliptical or treadmill.. at my gym, I can switch between cardio machines and there is a lot of possibilities for strength training (lot of different equipments). I can also go to as many class I want, so I usually go to bootcamp, spinning, sometime zumba, etc.
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think it's all in what you personally like the most. I do not like excercising in front of people and most of the time that I went to a gym I was only on the treadmill. I bought my treadmill over 7 years ago on craigslist for $100. It was a $900 treadmill from sears. So considering how long I have had it it has been a great investment. However, on super nice days I go to the park and walk there. But I love to walk. The gym offers so much more than a treadmill....so again it's all in what you personally enjoy doing.
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on the climate you live in. If it's warm enough for you to walk/jog outside year round, then just invest in a good pair of running shoes. I live in the arctic, um, I mean Minnesota, so I need some way to workout during the winter months. My treadmill is what saved me last winter. It was a gift, but if you watch for sales at the big sports warehouse stores, you should be able to find a decent one for less than $500. GL!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Gym membership x 1000000
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have a two year membership at 24hr ftiness from Costco, it was like $300 bucks. There's no way I would be motivated to use one machine for a long time. I like the variety of things i can do at the gym.
  • LeeBee2012
    LeeBee2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a treadmill if you plan on using it as a clothes rack in the next few weeks/months (I'm speaking from experience). Get a gym membership if you love the environment. I like being around other people to stay motivated. If I see a guy next to me running on the tm, its going to motivate me to run. But if I'm at home walking at 3.5 while watching tv, I'm really doing myself a disservice. Plus when you get bored with the machines at the gym, you can always try some of their fitness classes. A lot of them are inclusive with your membership. Ask first. Be selective before making a year long committment. Only you know if you will truly go or not. Good luck.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Well which are you most likely to stick with? Where i'm living now it's 30 min to my gym and with gas prices going up again i'm looking to buy a treadmill. I know i would use it. You can look on Craiglist for used ones and that would probably be a lot cheaper just be careful when doing that. Good luck to you!
  • belle0226
    belle0226 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would have to say join the gym. I love my gym. I didn't think I would love it as much as I do before I started going. But we are there everyday. I like the variety. I like that I have already done things there I didn't think I could do. Why limit yourself to a single piece of equipment?
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I agree. And you can get gym memberships dirt cheap these days. Much better than a really expensive ugly clothes rack.
    When you consider the cost of going to a gym is roughly Rs4000 ($72) per month, and running shoes are Rs1700 ($30), which makes more sense? And most people attend their gym more times in the first 2 months than they do in the rest of the year.
    (nb going on earning for white collar workers in India is between $4,153 and $22,159. a gym membership cost 5 to 10 times as much as it does in the US,
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising I did everything by my level of motivation. In the beginning I just walked/jogged around my neighborhood. Once I realized I had that routine down (about a month in) and was actually really motivated to do more, I did the gym membership.

If you're not already motivated to go to the gym, it's a waste of money.

But if you're going to spend the money either way, I think the gym is the way to go vs one piece of equipment. Better more diverse choices of what to do, and (to me) the environment is motivating and makes me work harder.

And gym memberships aren't super expensive if you shop around or wait for a special rate. (Ie> my gym is really nice with a cardio movie theater, massage, great equipment, classes, etc. and only costs me $14/month)
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    GYM! Yes, having a treadmill at home is nice and convenient, but let's face it, how often would you actually get on it?? I have a treadmill of my own just sitting in my basement, untouched for months! When you get a gym membership, there's a bunch of people around you which naturally makes you push yourself harder. Plus, if you find the right gym, like Aspen Fitness, the memberships are cheap and include free group fitness classes like zumba and yoga and such which will give you something new to do to break up the monotony.

Agree 100% with this!!!! Since you don't want to waste your money..... you will go to the gym... trust me I went the way of the treadmill.. but like other people have said it turns into a clothes rack real fast.... Go to the gym way better.. meet new people and just get motivated in general!!!! Good luck!!!!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Gym.

You want to lift weights from the beginning along with doing cardio.. not just do cardio to start and then start lifting.

This.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you: the gym offers more variety - including classes, free weights etc, the treadmill/elliptical offers more flexibile access and will be cheaper in the long run. You need to choose the option which will work for you.

One thing: we bought a £900 elliptical second hand for £200 and its perfect have a look on ebay before making your mind up. I also have a turbo trainer (Basically a device you attach to a bicycle for training at home) which I got on ebay for £60... These are great for training in unsociable hours or if the weather doesn't permit - but then I run/cycle a lot socially and so I use these by exception anyway (my wife uses them more).

I will be quitting teh gym when my membership expires this year but only because I am too busy with my other sports to use it now.
  • jcraig1980
    jcraig1980 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have had a gym membership and I have a treadmill. For me, the treadmill works best, it's what I spend most of my time on at the gym anyway and I don't have to worry about picking up all sorts of nasty germs and bacteria! Plus I have 3 pretty uncooperative children who do not bother me at all when I use my treadmill, but trying to figure out what to do with them when I go to the gym is well difficult to say the least. Plus many gyms have complicated contracts. Whatever you decide just make sure it is something you will want to stick with.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I agree with anyone who says to get outside! Save money go running/jogging outside. It's SO much better! It's gotten to the point where if i go to my in-laws on a rainy day to use their treadmill I give up because I hate it.

Treadmills are the devil! Haha
    -But no do what you gotta do to save money!
  • sarahjenkins77
    sarahjenkins77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    definitely run outside, much more rewarding
  • natashiag
    natashiag Posts: 33
    Options
    I actually bought a cheap elliptical in dread of thinking about even going to the gym... never used it. Joined the gym and fell in love, and use the elliptical there almost everyday (odd I know). I get more varied workouts and something that motivates me to get up earlier every morning. Not to mention I've gotten to know a few people at the gym that are on the same journey as me :D
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    ive had two gym memberships, both went to waste, i never went.

i have a second hand elliptical and second hand treadmill. i use the elliptical about 3 times a week. within two weeks i had used my elliptical more than i ever went to the gym. i use the elliptical more than the treadmill, but the treadmill was a great deal, which was why i purchased it from a neighbor who was moving.

i think i get a better workout on the elliptical, but never use my treadmill for running, just walking. my treadmill workout improves if i make it so that i am walking up a hill. burns many more calories that way.

do you have kids? for me, that was one thing that kept me out of the gym... with my home exercise equipment, i can use it while my son is doing his homework, or reading, or sleeping. i wasn't going to the gym at 8 at night when he went to bed, but will certainly throw on a pair of sneakers and use the stuff i have at home.

it also depends on if you are looking to weight train. if so, perhaps the gym is a better bet. if you are just looking to tone, perhaps some hand weights will suffice.

good luck.