Fears About Losing Weight

Options

Replies

• neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose my boobs ... or my butt :p

Squats! ;)

I didn't have a butt when I started this healthy lifestyle, now I have a tush! squats and deadlifts are my saviour.
    I did however, lose my boobs :( haha

I'm terrified of having loose, saggy skin on my lower tummy cause that's where I have carried most of my weight :(
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    How old do I look in my profile pic?
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm scared that I'll have to buy warmer clothes when it hits 60 degrees outside (Florida winter?!) My fat has been serving as an awesome insultation for so long....

BAH who am I kidding.... I'm starting to REALLY love to shop :)
  • msmary1213
    msmary1213 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The saggy skin gets me also. I had lost 40 lbs back in 2007, and gained it all back because of the fear of what I would look like skinny. It's been told to me that more people would like me, and I would get a better job, if I lost weight. I didn't want to make friends that way, so I fell of the wagon, and gained the weight back. Now, it's about me wanting to be me. And of course, looking great!!!
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    I fear that after I completely change my lifestyle for the better, lose my weight and become more active, it will create strain in my relationship.

I live with my boyfriend and I love him. We are two very lazy people. I used to be a major pothead but I quit. I used to play video games in 10 hour blocks but cut back a lot. I used drink beer by the 6-pack but now only have the occasional glass of wine. I used to spend the majority of my time indoors but now make it a point to get out everyday. My darling has not changed his habits yet. It's not an issue, but I am scared it could become one in the future. I fear maybe our different lifestyles will create distance. I am trying to get him to join me on my outings here and there to prevent that.

i hear you on that. i'm still working on upping my activity, but my fiancé is an indoors-on-the-computer type. we're pretty independent people though, so if he wants to stay inside and i want to go hiking, i think our relationship can handle that.

i'm afraid that my lower calorie intake means i will never get to enjoy the cooking, baking, and rich foods i love...but i keep reminding myself i can do anything, as long as it's in MODERATION. that is my new word. i'm working on liking MODERATION. not my strong suit. heh...

i don't know if it's a fear exactly, but my social phobias seem to be worsening. i'm not an outgoing person to begin with, but i'm getting more attention now (at not even halfway to goal!) and it makes me really uncomfortable. and a lot of the fair-weather friends i have seem to be falling away - probably because i'm not seeing them every day, but sometimes i worry that me losing weight and getting healthier has driven them away or made them feel bad.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm with the majority here. I'm worried about the saggy skin and re-gaining the weight once I lose it. I'm also not on a 'diet' but changed my lifestyle including what I eat and my activity level, so I'm working hard to not create that reality.

But I can already see signs of the saggy skin. Thats what I get for allowing myself to remain overweight since puberty, I guess!

After a lifetime of fighting to be seen, becoming more visible is not my fear at all. I often feel 'less-then' or inferior due to my higher weight. Once I'm a more normal size, I'm hoping that will work itself out! Its already getting better!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My last two relationships (4 year marriage, then a year dating another guy) I gained weight (30 pounds, then 10 pounds). I have no problem (with work of course) losing weight when I'm "single" (right now I'm not single but my ex husband who I'm "dating" lives 1,300 miles away). I'm scared that when he moves back here and we live together again I'm going to gain weight again. I'm just going to have to be diligent and remember that I'm not losing weight for him in the first place so I don't need to get comfortable and gain it just because he doesn't care (as long as I'm healthy and active).
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Scared to death over the loose skin. I already have it on my arms and legs and stomach, it isn't totally 'deflated' (for lack of a better term) yet but it is bothering me. I have lost a total of 99 pounds so far and I have another 80 or so to go. I worry I might need the surgery to remove the excess and in the same breath, I worry that I won't be happy unless I have the surgery to remove it.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    I don't want to reach my goal then go through a rough patch and end up putting it back on again! That'd be such a downer, but i guess it's meant to be a lifestyle change and all that :)
    I think if you're over a certain age then weight loss could make you appear older, but I think you're still probably way off that age :)
  • Gertyh
    Gertyh Posts: 3
    Options
    I think everyone has fears. I'm afraid of my family treating me differently because I'm not the same as them physically and mentally. Another is that Ive never had self esteem. What does it do to a person? How does it change your outlook on life? Etc. My list goes on and on lol.
  • LeggiGetsFit
    LeggiGetsFit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of doing all this work and then getting pregnant and having to start over again with even more issues (stretch marks, loose skin, ect.) that I've never had to worry about before. I'm 24 and marriage and children are on the horizon. I just hope by then I'm in such good shape that the pregnancy wont change my body too much, but I know that's a lot to hope for.
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    Dito- to everything you said!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Definitely having extra skin in my arms and tummy. Stretchmarks being more visible. My SO jealous of my success (he lacks a lot of the motivation to eat right that I have) and him thinking he's not good enough. Being classified as one of the 'skinny girls' who don't know what it's like to suffer from being overweight or having to try to get/stay healthy. (It used to be losing my boobs but that already happened, thank goodness SO is supportive about implants I tell ya)
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My fear was always that losing weight and being fit won't actually make life perfect. It's been the overriding issue of my life and has gotten the lion's share of my attention.

I'm old enough now to know it won't fix everything, but I've also learned that working out gives me some resilience to deal with all the other crap life can throw at you.

That baggy loose skin thing? Yeah, that's comin' for you regardless - and it WILL freak you out the first time you see the skin on your arm move in a way it never has before. And then you'll notice that you can still see the mark that grocery bag left on your forearm - HALF AN HOUR AGO! It is upsetting. Very.
  • richellekramer
    Options
    1. Gaining it back!
    2. Saggy skin (already have it on my arms - yuck....)
    3. People judging me because of #1
    4. Never getting to my ideal weight (although, I don't really think I ever will)

I try to remember the One Pound Poem when I am feeling frustrated.

One Pound of Fat

Hello! Do you know me? If you don't, you should.
    I am ONE POUND OF FAT, and I am the happiest pound of FAT that you would ever want to meet!

Want to know why? It's because no one ever wants to lose me! After all, I am only ONE POUND OF FAT. Just ONE POUND. Everyone wants to lose 3 or 5 or 15 pounds, but never ONLY one.

So, I just stick around and happily keep you. Then I am free to add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice...

That is, until I have grown to 10, 20 or even 30 pounds in weight...

YES... it is fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT... left to do just as I please.

So, when you weigh in, go ahead... just keep on saying, "Oh I only lost one pound." (As if that is so terrible.) For you see, if you do this, you will encourage others to hang around me because they will think that I am not worth losing.

And I LOVE being around you... your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips, and every other part of you. HAPPY DAYS! After all, I am ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

---author unknown---
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My number one is the skin thing. It already is sagging and has been since I was 12yrs old...ugh...
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I still won't be the girl that guys want. I will have lost all this weight to discover it wasn't my size that kept people away. It was me.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great thread. It's important to recognize your fears.

I am also afraid of losing all my weight, getting pregnant, and not being able to lose it again. I am 31 now and we're going to wait at least a few more years to have a baby. That's about 33 or 34. Maybe one more baby after that? Who knows, but I don't want to struggle with my weight forever!

I'm also afraid of losing my identity. I've been the fat girl my whole life and am even the fat teacher now. I got a tattoo of the Venus of Willendorf when I decided to accept my body as it was because I'm a goddess no matter what my body looks like. I like my new self confidence and my new life, but the possibility of being a blank slate is huge and moderately terrifying.

Oh, yeah. Saggy skin. No bosoms. Looking sick. Etc.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My worry was that I would get all motivated, find a way to do this right, and then something would f*** it all up. And it happened.

I found Running. I LOVE it, but I didn't have enough knowledge to do it right. I now have a knee injury, and can barely walk let alone run, and my motivation is now gone.

It stinks :(
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As for me, I worry that my attitude will change, and not in a positive way. I lost 60 lbs several years ago and was back down to my high school weight (I was overweight back then, though, too) and my husband called me out numerous times on how judgmental of other people I'd become. When I gained it back over a couple years, I quit. In a way I feel like I got what was coming to me with my judgmental attitude, because I went into my weight loss thinking there was no way I would ever gain it back, because I didn't want to be like "THOSE PEOPLE" again. I think some of the attitude came from my Weight Watchers leader at the time, though, but experiencing personal success does not give me (or anyone) a license to slam others. And as a result, I'm way more careful about saying "I'll never be THAT weight again," because I prefer my humble pie to be fresh rather than months- or years-old.

I also worry about people treating me differently. It's something I hate about the process of losing weight. When people say, "You look so beautiful now!" and so forth, it can feel like a backhanded compliment. Like, thanks for saying I look beautiful, but the insinuations in the "now" is what gives me pause. I don't like how I look when I'm heavier, but I also don't like feeling like my worthiness is tied to my physical appearance. I find myself feeling like I have to work harder to earn the praise (that's not tied to my appearance) that I get now, and therefore it's somehow more deserved.