why do we have bad runs?

Options

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If it just happens one or two days in a row its nothing to worry about. Usually the cause can be traced to not eating enough the day before or not sleeping enough but sometimes the cause is a complete mystery. The comforting thing to know is that they happen to everybody.

If you start getting 3 or more days in a row that are bad then its time to start looking for the cause and fix it before it turns into a bigger problem.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There can be a million different reasons for a bad run. You may no have slept as well the night before, your nutrition could be off, it could be hotter outside, your mind is on something else and sometimes there's no reason at all - it's just being normal, we have good days and bad.

A bad day of running is still better than a day without a run.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    honestly, I really thought this was about intestinal issues.....but.......

For me, I feel every session is different....I find I can go longer on the treadmill than outdoors on the pavement....I get more out of breath....does anyone else feel the same?

edited b/c I left out a word
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

For me, I feel every session is different....I find I can go longer on the treadmill than outdoors on the pavement....I get more out of breath....does anyone else feel the same?

The treadmill is physically easier, mentally tougher (for most). The TM sets the pace for you, outside you have to set your own pace and keep moving. Also, outside you have heat and humidity to contend with - with a TM it's in a nice, dry air-conditioned location more often than not.

The roads build more character!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You have bad runs so you're able to know when you have good runs.
  • eiha
    eiha Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for this! I have been running 3-4 times a week, and at least one is a bad run. It's usually the shortest one.....probably because I think it should be easy and I'm ready to get it over with. I need to get out of my own head! :frown:
    [/quote]

I am the same my short ones are the hardest and I think you're right its cause we expect it to be easy and we want it over with!
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I have been running 3-4 times a week, and at least one is a bad run. It's usually the shortest one.....probably because I think it should be easy and I'm ready to get it over with. I need to get out of my own head! :frown:

I am the same my short ones are the hardest and I think you're right its cause we expect it to be easy and we want it over with!
    [/quote]

I've chosen to not get out of my own head, but rather to enjoy being there as much as possible.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    some really helpful responses here - thanks! :-)
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand feeling better some days than others when you set off for a run but I try to think that the only bad run or workout is the one that didn't happen!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad runs", but rather some runs present a greater challenge than others. The more challenging runs are opportunities to improve. Every run provides a benefit. Embrace every challenge.

This is so freaking hokey. Doesn't make it any less true though. Every run is it's own thing, and there is a lesson to be learned every time.

:)

Hokey or not, I find that when I take this approach to running (or any other aspect of life, really), then I am just a happier, more pleasant person. Period.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad runs", but rather some runs present a greater challenge than others. The more challenging runs are opportunities to improve. Every run provides a benefit. Embrace every challenge.

I dig this.

Sunday's run was rough for me. I went to bed too late on Saturday and didn't sleep well. I overslept and felt crappy when I woke up. I had almost decided I wasn't going to go because I had stuff to do at home (we're getting ready to move which is part of the cause of my increased drinking and insomnia for the past month). My wife told me that the stuff would wait and I should go run. I decided I'd go for a short run (Sunday is normally my long run day). At three miles I was still feeling crappy but didn't want to stop. I dragged myself every step of 8 miles at about a minute per mile slower than I normally do my longer runs. It could have been a bad run but I decided to challenge myself and even though I didn't break any records I still "embraced the challenge" and ended up feeling pretty good when I was done. I damn sure felt better than I would have had I just stayed home.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I love every run.......even when it sucks :wink:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You have bad runs so you're able to know when you have good runs.

ding! ding! ding!! WINNER!

and, yes... there are most definitely bad run days. I get trying to be positve about things but sometimes, i have such bad run days that I question why the hell do i like running at every single stride.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Today was a bad run day for me. My HRM was acting up and I don't want to be home from my vacation and it was humid and all. I felt stronger on my run in Texas, even though it was 95 degrees with the sun beating down on me and up and down hills that we just don't have in my town. Today should have been much better than that day, but it was a struggle and I was ready to stop after half a mile. In the end, I pushed it and ran 2.66 miles (my goal was 2.5 for C25k program). I felt better just by finishing it and I hope the next one goes better!
  • reammi
    reammi Posts: 70
    Options
    I can so relate to this. I have found that I just can not run well in the heat. Perfect example of a bad run for me was struggling thru a 5 mile run on a trail that I have run thousands of times and run well but had to stop and walk for a few minutes before I could continue (I ran late morning as opposed to early morning and it was hot and humid). I followed that bad run with my longest ever run 2 days later (11 miles) and I ran very well (ran early before the heat and humidty set in). Lesson learned for me. I will not get down on myself for a bad day. I like what someone else posted earlier in this thread. We all have bad days at work and in our personal lives so it just follows that we will have bad days running. A bad day running is still better than not running at all!!!!!
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    The weather can mess up my runs, I hate running in temps over 70 degrees. Food can also pose issues for my runs. And where I am mentally. Some days I can run forever, other days, I am just waiting to get it over with. I have found that when I eat better, get good sleep and lift weights consistently, my runs are better overall.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Bad runs are like bad days. They just happen. No rhyme or reason to them. Just need to leave them in your rear view and drive on! Good luck!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

The treadmill is physically easier, mentally tougher (for most). The TM sets the pace for you, outside you have to set your own pace and keep moving. Also, outside you have heat and humidity to contend with - with a TM it's in a nice, dry air-conditioned location more often than not.

The roads build more character!

I am still too shy to run outdoors in the daylight. I live in a town of just under 2000. HELP ME not be so shy...I've drowned it out with an ipod, but I'm still totally self-conscious...
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'd divide bad runs into:
    1) runs that feel hard (which quite often is a good thing, I got a bit soft and then decided I needed to do some runs with hills and stuff) - those feel like runs when I'm developing so I'm OK with those.
    2) plain bad runs when things go wrong (too hot, route underwater, stinging nettles and wet grass everywhere, the time I jumped over a puddle and pulled a buttock muscle) - I think of those as runs just to grit my teeth and get through because they pay for all the good and great runs! Luckily there aren't nearly as many bad runs!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I know that when I have a bad day of C25K, it's generally due to heat and humidity. Yesterday it was due to the fact that I ran after I ate lunch when normally I run on an empty stomach.... plus heat and humidity.

Tomorrow is my first continuous 20 minute run. and I am determined to make it a good one!