Skipping Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    YES, YOU ARE DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

We have all heard the line "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Why is this? Well, your body is literally fasting overnight. You must break that fast in order to JUMPSTART your METABOLISM. While we sleep, our metabolism slows down to a crawl...if you do not jumpstart it with food within 30 minutes of rising, it will continue to crawl. It's very counter intuitive to want to lose weight but accept a sluggish metabolism.

There are also the factors of providing your body and brain with fuel. Remember how we are told to always eat in the morning before an exam in school when we were younger...it's not a cliche. It's real ****.

Eating later in the day also opens you up to the risk of gorging on foods later.

If you are hungry - you may want to consider changing what you are eating and how often you are eating. Start with lots of protein, at each meal. Protein is your #1 priority. Veggies are #2. Fruit is dessert or #3. If eaten as a snack, make sure you eat some protein first (nuts, protein shakes, meat, whatever.)

Meet with a nutritionist and go over your options. You CAN do this. It's a lifestyle change. For anyone who tells you to "go with what you know" or "do what feels right" they want you to succeed, but they are NOT providing you with the correct information.

Not true. There is no need to "jump start" your metabolism.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry. Timing of meals doesn't matter as long as you are meeting your nutrional goals. Check out all the people who are successful in their journey and do intermittent fasting.

As long as waiting so long to have your first meal of the day doesn't make you binge or turn to less healthy options than go with it if it's working for you.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    YES, YOU ARE DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

We have all heard the line "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Why is this? Well, your body is literally fasting overnight. You must break that fast in order to JUMPSTART your METABOLISM. While we sleep, our metabolism slows down to a crawl...if you do not jumpstart it with food within 30 minutes of rising, it will continue to crawl. It's very counter intuitive to want to lose weight but accept a sluggish metabolism.

There are also the factors of providing your body and brain with fuel. Remember how we are told to always eat in the morning before an exam in school when we were younger...it's not a cliche. It's real ****.

Eating later in the day also opens you up to the risk of gorging on foods later.

If you are hungry - you may want to consider changing what you are eating and how often you are eating. Start with lots of protein, at each meal. Protein is your #1 priority. Veggies are #2. Fruit is dessert or #3. If eaten as a snack, make sure you eat some protein first (nuts, protein shakes, meat, whatever.)

Meet with a nutritionist and go over your options. You CAN do this. It's a lifestyle change. For anyone who tells you to "go with what you know" or "do what feels right" they want you to succeed, but they are NOT providing you with the correct information.

I'm sorry but the above is not true. Eating breakfast doesn't jumpstart your metabolism. Your metabolism is running 24 hours a day 7 days a week from birth to death. Metabolism slows when the body is consistantly provided far too little calories (for example, someone who only eats 600 calories a day for weeks and weeks).
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @jaybird and @nowornever - I still disagree and feel as though you misread my comment. I did not state that your metabolism stops, but that it "slows to a crawl." If there is reliable documentation out there that says otherwise, please provide sources. My information is coming from nutritionist who works in a hospital that has a high rating.

I will cite some resources. My point here, is not only is jumpstarting your metabolism in the morning (and continued throughout the day) important, but it's essential for a healthy weight loss.

What we are doing here is, hopefully, going for a change from an unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy lifestyle and the byproduct (and one of the major things we look for to prove we are doing so) is weight loss.

Yes, you can eat one meal per day at 2,000-3,000 calories and still lose weight (depending on your current weight and level of activity) but at what cost to your body? What does your insulin levels look like after that meal? How do you feel the rest of the day, both before and after?

Yes, you can eat 3 meals per day and lose weight, again, what does your insulin levels look like? Are you overeating during those meals? Are you going in for the "late night snack" later on? Are you eyeballing the clock waiting for your next meal because you aren't eating snacks?

I could go on and on, but my point is, that truly learning about how various areas help with weight loss is essential to a healthy and long-lasting lifestyle change and not just "dumping some pounds" (heh, most people gain them back when they do this.)

Metabolism, Sleep, Sunlight, Vitamin levels, Exercise, Knowledge, Motivation, Stress Levels, Breakfast and more are all vital areas that we need to look into and learn about in order to get the most out of our new lives in health.

Some sources to consider:

This article goes into a slightly different area regarding the importance of sleep on insulin levels and the metabolic system:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/489157-does-your-metabolism-slow-down-at-night/

Page 2, under the "eat often" section talks about how eating will increase your metabolism for a short time (which is what I mean by "jumpstarting" your metabolism...you can jumpstart your metabolism throughout the day, as well as in the mornings when you break - the - fast)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat

This article not only talks about the various reasons TO eat breakfast but directly speaks to jumpstarting your metabolism: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

Additional information on jumpstarting your metabolism: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/fact-or-fiction-breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day.html#b
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    @jaybird and @nowornever - I still disagree and feel as though you misread my comment. I did not state that your metabolism stops, but that it "slows to a crawl." If there is reliable documentation out there that says otherwise, please provide sources. My information is coming from nutritionist who works in a hospital that has a high rating.

I will cite some resources. My point here, is not only is jumpstarting your metabolism in the morning (and continued throughout the day) important, but it's essential for a healthy weight loss.

What we are doing here is, hopefully, going for a change from an unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy lifestyle and the byproduct (and one of the major things we look for to prove we are doing so) is weight loss.

Yes, you can eat one meal per day at 2,000-3,000 calories and still lose weight (depending on your current weight and level of activity) but at what cost to your body? What does your insulin levels look like after that meal? How do you feel the rest of the day, both before and after?

Yes, you can eat 3 meals per day and lose weight, again, what does your insulin levels look like? Are you overeating during those meals? Are you going in for the "late night snack" later on? Are you eyeballing the clock waiting for your next meal because you aren't eating snacks?

I could go on and on, but my point is, that truly learning about how various areas help with weight loss is essential to a healthy and long-lasting lifestyle change and not just "dumping some pounds" (heh, most people gain them back when they do this.)

Metabolism, Sleep, Sunlight, Vitamin levels, Exercise, Knowledge, Motivation, Stress Levels, Breakfast and more are all vital areas that we need to look into and learn about in order to get the most out of our new lives in health.

This article goes into a slightly different area regarding the importance of sleep on insulin levels and the metabolic system:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/489157-does-your-metabolism-slow-down-at-night/

Page 2, under the "eat often" section talks about how eating will increase your metabolism for a short time (which is what I mean by "jumpstarting" your metabolism...you can jumpstart your metabolism throughout the day, as well as in the mornings when you break - the - fast)

This article not only talks about the various reasons TO eat breakfast but directly speaks to jumpstarting your metabolism: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

Additional information on jumpstarting your metabolism: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/fact-or-fiction-breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day.html#b

Lol you ask for reliable sources and post livestrong, webmd and fitday as sources.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast. I hate breakfast foods. I hate mornings. I hate getting out of bed. However, I do force myself to eat a little something-something before I go to work because if I don't, I make REALLY unfortunate vending machine decisions that add up to a whole day's worth of calories. Also, I turn into a MAJOR crabby appleton before lunchtime and I make my morning students absolutely miserable.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Please read the attached links inside the post I am sharing. I wrote the post but it's referenced to sources outside of MFP and it will thoroughly explain Diet Induced Thermogenesis and why your post, and your nutritionist, are incorrect.

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency

Additionally:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of studies that say you should eat breakfast, but I agree with the other posters.
    There are "articles" that state it, but actual studies have shown that it's not any more beneficial than any other meal throughout the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amyj101
    amyj101 Posts: 15
    Options
    For me personally, I find that if I don't eat breakfast, or I eat it too late, I'll eat more and be hungrier over the rest of the day. Eating breakfast just seems to keep my hunger levels at bay and I'm less likely to binge during the day. Poached egg on toast works for me :-)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Please read the attached links inside the post I am sharing. I wrote the post but it's referenced to sources outside of MFP and it will thoroughly explain Diet Induced Thermogenesis and why your post, and your nutritionist, are incorrect.

Additionally:

Sidesteal is correct and his links are to actual studies, not articles with no proof. One of the main point of one study is that metabolism actually speeds up after 12 hours in the fasted state. The metabolism doesn't slow until 60 hours and for many people up to 72 hours. This is all from some of the studies he has linked to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Time for a new nutritionist and new resource for validation. Look at more peer reviewed clinical studies (like those posted by Sidesteal) to verify.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast every day because once I start eating I find it hard to stop. I typically eat lunch around 1:00 then try not to eat again until dinner then one light snack before bed. Am I doing more harm then good by doing this?

Nope! Do what works for your body. I have the same issue. Do you have low body fat? I read an article that stated if you have low body fat and eat breakfast that can mess with your glucose causing you to spike and want to binge. I found that was happening to me and then I would gorge. Its not when you eat but how many calories you eat anyway. I am up at 4am and by 9am I eat a granola bar then go from there. I can't make it until 1, I did try, but if it works for you then stick with it! I also eat my "Dinner" around 12pm or 3pm because I am not really hungry later at night and don't like eating too much before bed. Listen to your body and follow it and do what works for you as long as your calories are good.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Can i JUMPSTART my metabolism with jumper cables? vroom vroom
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Additionally:

Sidesteal is correct and his links are to actual studies, not articles with no proof. One of the main point of one study is that metabolism actually speeds up after 12 hours in the fasted state. The metabolism doesn't slow until 60 hours and for many people up to 72 hours. This is all from some of the studies he has linked to.

^^this
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Additionally:

^^this

It takes like 60 hours... he's right.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great place to get 100 different opinions and answers to your question. If you are really serious about your health, contact a professional. Their advice will be night and day different from this thread. I'm a fitness and nutrition professional, but my prescriptions revolve around exercise and eating healthy. If you are exercising properly and care about your muscles, you would never willingly allow them to enter Cannibalism (the breakdown and use of body tissue for energy in the absence of nutrients).
  • Acg67
    Options
    MFP is a great place to get 100 different opinions and answers to your question. If you are really serious about your health, contact a professional. Their advice will be night and day different from this thread. I'm a fitness and nutrition professional, but my prescriptions revolve around exercise and eating healthy. If you are exercising properly and care about your muscles, you would never willingly allow them to enter Cannibalism (the breakdown and use of body tissue for energy in the absence of nutrients).

Cannibalism =/= Catabolism
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast every day because once I start eating I find it hard to stop.

That was me exactly. Got up, felt fine, ate breakfast, 2 hours later I'm ravenous.
    I went further than you, now I skip lunch also and don't eat until 5pm. I don't feel any hunger until at least 2pm and waiting until 5pm is usually not that difficult. Then I get to eat like a King.

Harm me? Heck no, it has done great things for me. The program I follow is called Fast-5, link in my profile.

You may have heard stories about Four Star General Stanley McCrystal. His Wikipedia page says
    McChrystal is reported to run 7 to 8 miles (11 to 13 km) daily, eat one meal per day, and sleep four hours a night

I don't pretend to be as tough General McCrystal and skipping breakfast and lunch doesn't seem to have done any harm to him.

I'm guessing that the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" stuff was made up my some guy who's last name was Kelloggs.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Lol you ask for reliable sources and post livestrong, webmd and fitday as sources.

Yes, because obviously, my sources may not be the most reliable, I am showing what I have read and ASKING for what other posters feel are more reliable resources. I am not saying that my sources are superior by sharing them and then asking for more info.
  • Acg67
    Options

Yes, because obviously, my sources may not be the most reliable, I am showing what I have read and ASKING for reliable resources from other posters. I am not saying that my sources are superior by sharing them and then asking for more info.

Why post such silliness ("YES, YOU ARE DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD"), if you're not sure if your sources are reliable or not?