Had to defend my excercises at the gym....I hope I was right

Options
13»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    think he's probably just curious, but if you want to keep the equipment to yourself tell him its cos your just a beginner and he's obv doing more advanced 'split-routine' stuff that's too much for you at the moment ;) lol
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    It's good you defended yourself! When you have more muscle, you can eat more since muscles burn more calories than fat! :smile:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The guy sounds like an idiot.

Deadlifts also build your traps, lats, and biceps. All of which you CAN see.

Keep doing what you're doing.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    He must be curious, and you were able to explain why you were doing exercises a certain way. That's way cool, by the wayl! :-)
    If he has never seen you with a trainer, he may have thought that you didn't know what you were doing - and why you did exercises a certain way.

Guys do weight lifting with a different attitude than women. Some guys get the difference - others don't. They (my husband falls into this category) want to lift weights to specifically build muscle mass for one area. Mine does chest, and arms and forgets the whole body strengthening part. (we agree to disagree on this)

Who knows, maybe he is thinking of becoming a trainer (or physical therapist, or...) and wanted/needed to hear what is important to a female when they are working out. The best way is to find a woman who works out, with results. Like you!
    (Yes, I try to see the best in people)
    I think it is great that he was curious (and brave) enough to ask - most wouldn't.
    Take it as a compliment!
    Diane

I kind of agree with you, maybe he was just genuinely curious as to what works for different people. BUT, to make her feel "stupid" or insecure by his head shakes and facial expresisons is not the right way to be curious.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just wanted to talk to you and then screwed it all up.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that from a professional. I personally don't like machines very much. I prefer to ride my own bicycle out in the sun when I want a bike ride. Or I hook it up to the mag rider if it's snowing but I usually still ride outside in the snow anyway.

I also love my free weights. And I love hula hooping for my cardio. I've started pairing them together so I get a major cardio workout and lift my weights at the same time and it has been doing wonders for me.

I hate when people say stuff about my work out routines with weights. I know what I'm doing. I have had a personal trainer show me how to do everything safely and for maximum effect.

But I have had people come and tell me that I'm doing an exercise wrong, so I pull out my cell phone, look up the correct way to do the routine and hand the phone to them so they can see that they are wrong and that I am doing it safely. Sheesh!

Bet he don't squat! Take if from me, if the guy didn't have his machines, he'd probably be lost. If you KNOW how to workout with free weights, then you can workout just about anywhere.
    You're doing fine and just let the guy wonder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SuperKeely
    SuperKeely Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like he's questioning his own methods a bit, by being curious about yours. He may have gone about it in a challenging way, but I wouldn't let it cast any doubt on what you're doing, since (as everybody has already pointed out), you're doing the proper things to achieve what you want.

Just take it as an opportunity to educate him :)
  • Norinella
    Norinella Posts: 31
    Options
    Maybe he just wanted to talk to you and then screwed it all up.
    I love the beautiful simplicity of this analysis. You might be right.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    eh. Ignore it. I see a lot of "meat heads" at the gym with the worst form on earth. He cannot possibly tell you what is right for you. Only you know what is right for you, and what works for you. I have learned to never ever criticize a workout, or poo poo a workout, because if someone is out there moving, then that is great! Better to be moving and bettering their health than to be sitting on a couch complaining.

PS I love deadlifts! Great exercise IMHO.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was doing dead lifts one day and so were some other fellows. They actually stopped what they were doing(I'm assuming they were doing straight legged dead lifts because they were not bending their knees at all.. they were just bending at the waist) and stood there to watch me as I did dead lifts. Then I saw them copying what I did... all while nothing was being said to me.

So my experience was creepy.. yours seems normal and like he was interested in why you were doing what you do.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like he's questioning his own methods a bit, by being curious about yours. He may have gone about it in a challenging way, but I wouldn't let it cast any doubt on what you're doing, since (as everybody has already pointed out), you're doing the proper things to achieve what you want.

Just take it as an opportunity to educate him :)

I'm starting to think this way too. Either way, I'm definetly going to consider this possibility from now on!!! :smile:
  • megabit2k
    megabit2k Posts: 12
    Options
    Just let it go. Everyone has an opinion on exercise and you know what they say about opinions...

Do what you believe is right. Do your own research and educate yourself. If you do something your body likes, it will respond positively. If you do something incorrect.. well your body will respond negatively (ouch!)

I have recently switched up my routine to include deadlifts, squats, and rows. Exercises that I used to avoid because they were difficult for me. My research for my body tells me that these will help increase overall strength and size.
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    Sounds like someone has a crush on you!!!!! :flowerforyou: :blushing:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an old school upper body only kind of guy confused by your core and leg work. Trust the trainer for any questions.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    there are 3 core exercises to any bodybuilding/strength program with weights.

Bench press
    Squats
    and Deadlifts

They are core and compound and develop not only the major muscles associated with each but lots of periphery muscles as well.

Depending on the sets and reps and weight involved coupled with time taken and rest will form what you achieve with them.

However deads are one of the best overall body/strength developers, great for burning calories due to the strain it puts on the body.

Dont listen to anyone at the gym unless they talk sense, use good form, do what you enjoy or what works for you.

And if the guy was a upper body muppet then deads are great for the traps and rhomboids (i am an ex bodybuilder and never isolated traps at all, i did them all from the deads)

peace
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's kinda funny you brought up this topic. I workout at a gym with lots of young guys working on those "vanity muscles". I have noticed a few of them now doing some the exercises I got from the NROLFW. They don't ever ask anything, but you can always tell when someone is watching you. I always have this one guy who moves closer to the squat rack when I use it. I often wonder if he thinks i'm gonna drop it... hahaha
  • tolygal
    Options
    Sounds like someone has a crush on you!!!!! :flowerforyou: :blushing:

I REALLY don't think so. He's older than me (not old, but older) - not that that matters, but I don't get that vibe at all.
  • tolygal
    Options
    Sounds like an old school upper body only kind of guy confused by your core and leg work. Trust the trainer for any questions.

This is what I'm thinking after considering everything carefully. It totally makes sense. I have no idea why I didn't consider this before. You guys are awesome!!!!