What's your grocery/other food bill like?

Options

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    that is pretty good. my fiance and i go food shopping once a month (i got a few times in between to get milk/eggs b/c those run out before the next month) typically the months bill for the two of us (i am vegetarian and buy organic produce as well so it can be a little costly) is around $250. we don't eat out much though so that is the cost of meals for pretty much the whole month. $100 a week with cleaning supplies for 3 people sounds decent to me!
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do bulk grocery shopping once a month and drop about a hundred (for just myself). A couple times a week I will pick up random odds and ends from the grocery store.

However, I had a rude awakening yesterday. My power was out all day and I lost an entire freezer and fridge worth of food - a month's worth of food right in the garbage. I was beside myself because I simply can't afford to just throw money out. So from now on, no more bulk shopping. I'd rather go to the store 4 or 5 times a week now and buy things as needed.

Oh my gosh that's awful!!! I don't buy too many things in bulk-I'm always afraid we won't finish them in time.

I am pregnant and uber emotional. I bawled my eyes out for a good hour. I haven't been this upset in a long time.

:[ You poor thing. If I had the money I'd buy you a buncha groceries-going to the store when I was pregnant was rough
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    About 100 a week, and 200 once a month at a bulk buy place to re-stock pantry and freezer essentials (flour, legumes, nuts, meat).

This is for 2, and includes weekend entertaining + my 2 pups.

In lean times I have cut it down to $40 a week though, taking advantage of coupons and circulars.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    There are 5 of us here and I spend approximately $250/week on groceries.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do bulk grocery shopping once a month and drop about a hundred (for just myself). A couple times a week I will pick up random odds and ends from the grocery store.

However, I had a rude awakening yesterday. My power was out all day and I lost an entire freezer and fridge worth of food - a month's worth of food right in the garbage. I was beside myself because I simply can't afford to just throw money out. So from now on, no more bulk shopping. I'd rather go to the store 4 or 5 times a week now and buy things as needed.

If you own your home your home owner's insurance may cover some/all of the cost of the spoiled food. Generally, they will just cut a check for a pre-determined amount. If you believe it was more, you may have to provide some type of proof.

I live in an apartment and do not have renters insurance. Even if I did, I'm sure my deductible would be $500, so it wouldn't even be worth it.

Oh, too bad. Deductibe typically doesn't come into play for this type of claim. It's kind of like a comprehensive claim on car insurance. I had this happen to me too recently, only mine was out for a week!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe we are over doing it in my house! There's myself, my husband, our 15 year old, 10 year old and 9 year old and we spend anywhere from $150 - $300 a week depending on what we need! Thats with a whole lot of home cooked meals, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and Pizza Fridays! :)
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    4 of us 2 teenagers 2 dogs - 300.00 sometimes more a week - food is about 250.00
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For our household; me, hubby and 3 yr. old son, we usually spend $200/week. But that takes into consideration the fact that my husband buys an insane amount of "crap" (cookies, chips, candy, processed meats, etc.) for himself. We usually buy large packs of meat, so we only buy meat maybe once a month, with the exception of my weekly trips to the fish market.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    About $100 every 10 or so days -- but that is only for me and I buy frozen or dry items (wild rice, beans, lentils, etc) in bulk once every 2 months or so.
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really need to learn how to shop better...

I budget $1600/mth....I go over every single month...this includes restaurant eating which I know we do far too often and we don't eat at McDonalds and Subway...just sayin'...also includes cleaning supplies, household products and pharmacy stuff like shampoo and soap.

We are 4 full time eaters (2 adults, 2 teenagers) and 2 part timers (pre-teens). We also stock 2 homes which adds to the total (twice the cleaning products, twice the condiments etc)
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I spend anywhere from 70-100 per week on groceries for my husband and myself. We still go out to dinner at least 2 times a week with friends and other random meals- working on cutting that back to save money. We probably spend at least 150 or more per week on food.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    I spend more money buying diapers, formula, and wipes than I spend on my mortgage. Don't even get me started on my grocery bill. Our grocery bill is crazy high because I try to buy tons of fresh produce, and lots of lean meat with minimal crackers, cookies, etc. I have a family of 6 to feed!!

I spend a ton on formula because I have 7 month old twins, and one of them has to have special formula. It is almost $40 for a small can............
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am starting to see how much i was previously over spending...

Today i am going grocery shopping for the first time since starting my diet. Before this i was spending 300+ every two weeks on groceries for just myself. So $600 a month or more. Tack on the take out food i would buy sometimes 2-3 times and were looking at around another 120 dollars a month for that. People are feeding families of 4 on less then what i was eating. How embarrassing it is to realize that now.

But on a positive note, im glad i am making the change, it will be interesting to see how much money i save.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    $600-$700 per month... that's groceries and toileteries and that's for 2 adults and one child (9 year old).
  • tmshank18
    tmshank18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I spend about $75 a week for 2 adults. I plan my meals for the week based on the sales papers, make a list, combine coupons and stick to the list. Sometimes I make pickup things from several different stores depending on the sales but its worth it to me to get a good deal. Its a challenge for me to get the most out of my dollar and my husband is amazed at what I can come home with for $50.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For our family of 4 (2 kids ages 6 & 3), we spend around $150/week. But that is with about 1/2 of our cart filled with fresh fruits and veggies. We go through A LOT of produce during the week. If we end up buying meat to stock our freezer, that easily goes up to $200.
  • sassyN1989
    sassyN1989 Posts: 424
    Options
    For me, my husband, 4 dogs, 4 cats, and baby bird I spend about $300 and that includes my paper towels and cleaners. I buy in bulk at costco on most things.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    seems normal we have 6 people in our family and we spend 800 to 1000 a month in groceries. That's without eating out.

I feel better seeing this cuz this is where we are at too. 6 of us & 4 furbabies
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    We have five in our household and I can do 150-200 every two to three weeks. Depending on how much I strecth it. For two people that sound reasonable.
  • mchristians
    Options
    We spend about 150-200 a wk for a family of 4. That includes non edible items. We buy lots of fresh foods, which can be expensive, but I don't mind if they get eaten. :smile: