What's your grocery/other food bill like?

Options

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Close to us ... family of 6 we budget 250 a week ... 1000/month (that sounds big when you hit 4 digits!) lol
    About 300/week to feed a family of five, but that includes non-food items like paper towel. So probably $250.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    And we eat out less than once a month ... so it's all our meals (restaurants included) ...
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I make 95% of our meals at home. Hubby goes out for lunch still about once a week and so do I.

I have 4 teenagers, myself and hubby and we spend about $350 every 2 weeks. I prep all my meals for 2 weeks at a time and put them in the freezer. We rarely have anything processed. When we do it's usually mac&cheese one night.

I forgot about the 4 furry kids. This amount includes their stuff as well. Once in awhile I spend upwards to $400 if I have to restock all the toiletries and cleaning supplies.

Buy buying veg and meat in bulk and prepping and planning meals I've been able to stick with this budget. Before when we weren't eating as healthy I was spending $500 every 2 weeks.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My guy and I average $150-$175 per week on groceries, not counting eating out (which is usually only once a week)

...But we live in NYC, so yeah, our costs are way higher than most :(
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I spend about $800/month for 2 adults, 1 preschooler and 1 baby. I'm in Canada, so costs are a bit higher here, and I also have expensive taste. I don't really look to spend less than this though - I try to get good deals, and shop sales, but I view eating healthy, fresh food as an investment in myself and my family. I love cooking and tend to try a wide variety of recipes, ranging from simple to elaborate.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm 1 person and i spend about $300 a month. $350 is i count ms kitty
  • Lakona76
    Lakona76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We average about $100-120 per week and shop based on sale items for a family of 4. We build our menu around the flyers while staying as healthy as possible. Seems to work for us.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    My mom spends 120 a week. My healthy food cost around 40 while my lilttle brother's stuff totals to around 20 (his are burgers,fries,frozen pizza and all that unhealthy stuff) and the rest are just for the house...
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We typically spend $100/week for two of us. That's our grocery spending not including small trips to Target, CVS, Stop & Shop to get essentials for the house/cat.

My husband eats breakfast and lunch at work (his employer subsidizes the cafeteria, so it's cheaper than taking food to work). I eat breakfast & lunch at work (food I bring).

We only do takeout a few times/month and a lunch or dinner out each month.

I live in the Boston area. I buy mostly organic and only local + humanely raised meats. I buy fish from sustainable sources. We also have an organic garden. :)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    For just me I'll end up with a grocery bill each week about 80-100 depending whether I need household items or am out of pantry staples. I can get away with 80 if I'm just getting the weekly meat, veggies, etc.
  • tyrtill
    tyrtill Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I spend 350-400 a month on groceries (including cleaning supplies toiletries). About once a month we spend around $50 for cookout stuff for guests.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Since I eat healthy, and my fiance doesnt, i feel like im buying food all the time! I just went last night and only spent 105.00! not too shabby!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. So have to get special items sometimes.

I budget $600 a month but usually hang out around $500 a month. We cook all our meals from home and they are from scratch, every meal is different including breakfast and lunch with only a couple repeating. I buy a TON of fresh veggies & fruits. This also includes toiletries and all that fun stuff.

2 people. Who love food! We also budget $80 a month for entertainment and have our own $80 each for coffee/friend outings.

We don't make a crapload either. 0 debt, no car payments, & budget everything really well.
  • Lennonsmom11
    Lennonsmom11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We spend around $300.00/week on groceries only. This is for my hubby, myself, 2 teenage boys, a 10 year old that doesn't eat anything, a six year old that eats everything and an infant on formula. We also make our own baby food. We also love summer because all the kids go to Gma and Gpa's house and eat there. Cuts down on our bill! Thanks Mom and Dad!!!:happy:
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I need to budget better after reading all this!
    I probably spend 150 bucks a week and it is just my husband and myself. + 1 dog but that isnt even included.
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We have a family of 5 and we spend around 130 a week/ with the exception of cleaning supplies and dog food. We also have to try and go fresh veggies/fruit and soy free/dairy free for my son.

Kelley
  • mcfish618
    mcfish618 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For myself and hubby and 21 year old and 14 year old we spend about $200 per week includes tolitries, trash bags, paper towels, dishwasher tabs etc. And spending $200 is me price matching at walmart, going and shopping at Sams, we actually used to spend way more but I do buy a lot of fresh produce, almond milk and greek yogurt for me, regular milk and other yogurts for the kids etc.

My hubby and I both take our lunches every day and seriously only eat out like once per month.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Household of 2, we spend about $200/month at the grocery store, plus $100/month on produce from my CSA. Also, we buy meat in bulk at random times when it's on sale, so in addition to this $300/month there might be another $50-$100 depending on sales. Plus this includes me feeding my 3 nephews breakfast, lunch, and snacks when I do daycare for them on weekdays every other week. Not sure what we spend on eating out since my mom usually pays for that (I do all of the grocery shopping except buying the meat). Oh, and another $75 or so a month at Costco. So $475 a month for 2 adults including two weeks of 3 boys who eat a lot? Doesn't sound that bad.
  • DFitAgain
    DFitAgain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For the husband and I, about $100/week including eating out. We prepare all our breakfasts and lunches and eat dinner out once a week. It's been a little lower lately due to our CSA and farmers market. I am gluten free, but I typically don't buy gluten-free substitutes. We spent alot more when the husband was low carb.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know. We go grocery shopping usually twice a month, spending $75-100 each time. We go out to eat often too though and that can add up fast. It's just my fiance, me, and our two cats! I could never imagine spending $100 a week on groceries, but we don't really have the money at the moment for that anyways.