Suggestions for someone who hates running?

Options
13»

Replies

• ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I hate running with every brittle bone in my body. My knees crunch when I bend them, I HATE the heat, and I hate that feeling just shy of passing out. Want to know what I hate more than those things? Being fat. That is my motivation to do what I loathe doing.
    ]
    :laugh: I loved this.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I never tried the C25K, but I've heard only good things. What I did when I started in January (and other times before when I've lost weight) is walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes. The nexy day I walked for 19 minutes and ran the last minute, the next day I walked for 18 minutes and ran the last 2 minutes, etc. Up until I was running the full 20 minutes. Then I upped it and went to 25 minutes and then 30 minutes. Now I run outside and LOVE it.....and I've done 3 miles straight running....and I never dreamed I'd be able to do that. Good luck!
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I would commit to walking a certain distance and if you happen to run some of it, great! If not, no biggie. Why do you WANT to run anyways? It's really hard on your joints.

Back when I was running everyday- I LOVED IT. I loved the fresh air, the scenery and the 'time away to free my mind' ...
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I never tried the C25K, but I've heard only good things. What I did when I started in January (and other times before when I've lost weight) is walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes. The nexy day I walked for 19 minutes and ran the last minute, the next day I walked for 18 minutes and ran the last 2 minutes, etc. Up until I was running the full 20 minutes. Then I upped it and went to 25 minutes and then 30 minutes. Now I run outside and LOVE it.....and I've done 3 miles straight running....and I never dreamed I'd be able to do that. Good luck!

This is a FANTASTIC idea!!! Thank you- i'll be trying it :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

This^, I did it three years ago this fall and have been running off and on ever since. Beyond that, if you find that you don't like running...there are 3 million other ways to exercise. Find one that you will enjoy and stick with for several years if not life.
  • kate4vt
    kate4vt Posts: 20
    Options
    I have a friend on here that initially really up-talked the C25K program to me, so I tried it out... and it's freakin awesome.

What I will note though (things she and others have told me on the forums):

Start slow. Do what the program says (I used the app on my iphone, it works awesome). They say when jogging, jog slow. And if you can go slower than that. GO SLOWER. Keep up the jog, but don't over do it. You'll get tired really, really quick... especially if you're like me and never ran in your life.

Also, awesome tip of advise: repeat any weeks you need to as many times as you need to. It was really hard for me to move from the week where you jog for 3 minutes - to the week you jog for 5 minutes. I though I was gonna die. So I stuck with the 3 minute week for about a month... then progressed onto the 5 minute jog week (I wanna say it's like, week 3 to 4 or 4 to 5... something around there)...

So repeat as long as you need to. It says it's an 8 week program. BUT - not for everyone. I used to think I was going to collapse after jogging for 30 seconds. If I even made it that long. But you build your stamina with C25K. And the longer you do the weeks, the easier it gets; then you move onto the next week. :)

Thanks for this. I tried the Couch 2 5k with the hopes of actually running a 5k in 8 weeks. (Signed up and everything.) I literally hated every second of it, and had a very hard time moving up from 3 minutes as well. So, of course, as I did with every program in the past, I quit.

Now that I've started here with MFP and exploring options for a fitness routine, I've been reluctant to even consider C25K again. Maybe I will try it again with the knowledge that I'm not a complete failure if I can't keep up with the program pace.
  • megandyan83
    megandyan83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I highly recommend walking at an incline (e.g. 1.0, 5.0, 10.0, 15.0). It is a calorie burner! Send me a message if you are interested and have questions....
  • rebrcca3434
    Options
    I just walk personally. If I jog I will hate w/o so even if it take a bit longer to burn cals I just keep walking :) plus have to be careful about knees and so forth if your heavier so I think it's a safe choice just my 2 cents :)
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I met a friend on here who has lost over 80 lbs by hiking and logging his food. I began hiking with him three weeks ago. I thought I was going to die the first time we went. Five miles of up and down steep inclines. Takes us about two hours to complete. It's getting easier and easier. He has done it over 80 times and now doesn't even get winded. He has lost 80 lbs this way because he hates running. I hate running too.......
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    If you hate running then don't run. Weight can be lost with no exercise at all. Just eat less. Eventually you will lose muscle tissue though, which you don't want. In order to prevent that you would need to lift heavy things.

That said if you decide to run despite hating it then start walking first. Keep upping the speed and\or duration gradually. Without looking at it I assume this couch25k or whatever probably has some such ramp up scheme in it. If you want to get into lifting as pretty much every human physically capable should, check this out http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I met a friend on here who has lost over 80 lbs by hiking and logging his food. I began hiking with him three weeks ago. I thought I was going to die the first time we went. Five miles of up and down steep inclines. Takes us about two hours to complete. It's getting easier and easier. He has done it over 80 times and now doesn't even get winded. He has lost 80 lbs this way because he hates running. I hate running too.......

I don't really have anywhere to hike around here- but that would be fun if I did!! Enjoy it- and take some awesome photos :)
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    If you hate running then don't run. Weight can be lost with no exercise at all. Just eat less. Eventually you will lose muscle tissue though, which you don't want. In order to prevent that you would need to lift heavy things.

That said if you decide to run despite hating it then start walking first. Keep upping the speed and\or duration gradually. Without looking at it I assume this couch25k or whatever probably has some such ramp up scheme in it. If you want to get into lifting as pretty much every human physically capable should, check this out http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303

I actually do lifting *well, with dumbells and kettlebell* a couple times a week- I definitely don't want to lose muscle, but I don't want to be super muscular either- I want to thin out more than anything- and have a lot of weight to lose. Thank you :)
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I just walk personally. If I jog I will hate w/o so even if it take a bit longer to burn cals I just keep walking :) plus have to be careful about knees and so forth if your heavier so I think it's a safe choice just my 2 cents :)

Thank you :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on here that initially really up-talked the C25K program to me, so I tried it out... and it's freakin awesome.

Start slow. Do what the program says (I used the app on my iphone, it works awesome). They say when jogging, jog slow. And if you can go slower than that. GO SLOWER. Keep up the jog, but don't over do it. You'll get tired really, really quick... especially if you're like me and never ran in your life.

Also, awesome tip of advise: repeat any weeks you need to as many times as you need to. It was really hard for me to move from the week where you jog for 3 minutes - to the week you jog for 5 minutes. I though I was gonna die. So I stuck with the 3 minute week for about a month... then progressed onto the 5 minute jog week (I wanna say it's like, week 3 to 4 or 4 to 5... something around there)...

So repeat as long as you need to. It says it's an 8 week program. BUT - not for everyone. I used to think I was going to collapse after jogging for 30 seconds. If I even made it that long. But you build your stamina with C25K. And the longer you do the weeks, the easier it gets; then you move onto the next week. :)

I love all of this advice! I'll add a couple more things..

One, nothing wrong with walking. I didn't run for at least 2 weeks and then managed to run farther than ever this past weekend. What was I doing in the meantime? Walking at least 2 miles a day.. Yup, it can help.

Two, once you get running, if you're feeling any discomfort, get some really good running shoes right away. It will make a huge difference, trust me! Your knees and hips and back will thank you and you may even be able to run farther/faster. When I first started running, I thought there was nothing wrong with wearing my really nice New Balance cross training sneakers but found out after finally going to get REAL running shoes (Brooks), that they make all the difference! My speed increased immediately and this past weekend I found out I can also go farther without risking too much discomfort.

Good luck to you!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

I actually do lifting *well, with dumbells and kettlebell* a couple times a week- I definitely don't want to lose muscle, but I don't want to be super muscular either- I want to thin out more than anything- and have a lot of weight to lose. Thank you :)

It is hard\slow enough for a man eating a surplus of calories to gain muscle. A woman eating a deficit isn't going to get jacked any time soon. You will initially get a slight size increase and a pretty big strength increase though.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

Good information, thank you! Do you have any other suggestions as far as lifting goes?

It is hard\slow enough for a man eating a surplus of calories to gain muscle. A woman eating a deficit isn't going to get jacked any time soon. You will initially get a slight size increase and a pretty big strength increase though.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

I love all of this advice! I'll add a couple more things..

One, nothing wrong with walking. I didn't run for at least 2 weeks and then managed to run farther than ever this past weekend. What was I doing in the meantime? Walking at least 2 miles a day.. Yup, it can help.

Two, once you get running, if you're feeling any discomfort, get some really good running shoes right away. It will make a huge difference, trust me! Your knees and hips and back will thank you and you may even be able to run farther/faster. When I first started running, I thought there was nothing wrong with wearing my really nice New Balance cross training sneakers but found out after finally going to get REAL running shoes (Brooks), that they make all the difference! My speed increased immediately and this past weekend I found out I can also go farther without risking too much discomfort.

Good luck to you!

Thanks- I actually have a pair of running shoes *no really known brand, cheap-o ones from walmart* but they work well enough for me, especially since I haven't actually RAN in them... I'll eventually get better shoes- but as a single mom on a very MINIMAL budget- I get what I can when I can lol
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I was running but needed a break. I bought a Latin Party Pack workout kit...it was $25 and I thought I would dislike it cuz I usually hate workout DVDs but I LOVE IT!!!!

The pack has 4 workouts- all based on Latin dance steps and 2 weight bars and a 30 day schedule to follow...there is cardio and toning videos...pretty nifty and cheap for 4 workouts...you aren't doing the exact same workout everyday so it doesn't get boring either!

That sounds fun- I actually have 11 different zumba dvds *don't judge me- i'm an addict* I love them!
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know. I actually do cardio at home right now- with my zumba dvd's... but i'd love to be able to go out and enjoy a run a couple times a week, too. I used to run everyday- long ago when I was 165 lbs- but then I stopped, the weight piled on and well, now I can't run at all . LOL

I was totally in your shoes not long ago. I used to run 15-20 miles per week. I had a head injury and wasn't able to run for a year. I tried to get back into it a few times & just when I started getting into the groove, I would be sidelined with an injury (broken ankle, surgery, broken toes, etc) or we'd have an illness make its slow trek through our house, and I'd get out of the groove. I wasn't quite dedicated enough to it as if I couldn't do it at my normal time, I wouldn't do it. Anyway, fast forward to last fall. I friend and I started walking. We started out doing it once a week then bumped it up to twice. I gradually started adding a 3rd walk in on my own. All the walking made me really realize how much I missed running, but I thought there was no way I could do it. I was 90# overweight when I started walking! About 2 months ago (70# overweight at this point), I decided I had nothing to lose, and I decided to try the Couch to 5K program. Well, I am now on week 7 (of 8), and I'm able to complete my 28 minute VERY SLOW runs. I won't be to a 5K when I finish next week as the program assumes a 10 min/mile pace, and mine is only 12 min/mile LOL, but 30 minutes will get me to 2.5 miles, and that's about 2.4 miles farther than I was able to run 6 months ago! ;-) Anyway, I guess that's the long way of saying that it truly is possible! ;-)
  • runningonmargaritas
    runningonmargaritas Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    C25K period.

I never ran a day in my life and now I run 5Ks, 10Ks and have one 1/2 marathon under my belt. I also follow the Jeff Galloway run/walk programs when I train.