The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I always get people at work asking me if I am loosing weight. WHEN I DON'T! So that helps with me thinking I look fine when I clearly don't. I am glad to say though that I have not had anyone be stupid or mean to me. One person jumped up and down and said oh my gosh you look so great when I swear I was heavier then I was when she first saw me. I went to my dentist and the hygenist freaked out and kept asking me if I lost weight. My dentist even said yes I noticed that there was something different. They asked me what I have been doing if I didn't mind telling them. I told them I am trying to cut sugars, white bread and pasta, no cokes, and counting calories. My dentist praised me and said not only is it goof for you but its great for your teeth. He also said don't forget the fruits and veggies and hopefully we can get it to where you can eat those again soon with no problems. My hygenist swore their was something else because I had dropped it pretty fast. I told her I was also doing Zumba up to 6 times a week so we then started being girls and talking about that. They told me I looked good and said to keep it up! I can't hold my tongue very well so if someone says something stupid to me they are getting a stupid answer.
  • kingsqueen306
    kingsqueen306 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My biggest weight loss times were right after giving birth to my 2 children.. I gained about 40+ lbs the first time with my daughter, then started going to the gym a few months after she was born. Spent 2-3 hours on elliptical and treadmills, going 2-3 times a week for a month. With that, I was able to get my weight down lower than it had been in years! People kept asking if I was still eating food at all.

After my son was born, I didn't go to the gym, just found myself more active, juggling a 2 yr old and a new baby. The lbs came off slow but steady. My husband's grandmother (in her 80s) kept calling me a 'skinny thing'.:laugh:
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a friend of mine at work about losing weight and then i went on holiday. when I came back to the office some evesdropper who had been listening in had sent me an e-mail about how exercise and diet never works for "people our size" and that I had best get the surgery and to call her for the name of a doctor. . .
  • sdrichardson713
    sdrichardson713 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OH! I also once got told that once I'm done losing the weight I'll have to tuck my skin in to my jeans unless I get surgery to remove it. I'm pretty sure losing the weight by eating healthy(ier) and doing regular exercise my body will keep up. It's not a crash diet and I'm certainly not losing it quickly.
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My mother telling me to stop losing weight Because I'm getting to thin. When I've told her that the Dr says I need to get down to 140.
  • dwclaire
    dwclaire Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    today i bought some new clothes (and a tshirt that is a size 12!!!!!!!!! not a 16 anymore!!!!!!!!! woooo!!!!!!!)
    anyway, i showed my aunty my new pair of jeans (which are the same size as ive always worn on my massive nicki minaj hips)
    and she said

"oh my GOD danielle...they look huge."

yep. thank you for that. very inspiring.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have heard you're skinny enough... where upon I reply I'm not skinny, I'm fit and I intend on staying this way... I have also experienced the individual wanting to know what I am doing to get here and when I tell them diet and exercise no junk food and staying out of fast food restaurants they are no longer interested in how... they all want an easy fix. Well if it was easy we would all be fit.
  • dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am down 10#'s in my first 2 weeks using the site... so I am very proud to tell people what I am doing... I tell them tracking my food intake counting calories and working out... ALOT!
    It never fails... after I tell some one that... they invite to go have fast food or something else equally as unhealthy. When I decline because I don't want to eat junk anymore... or that I can't have that on my chosen food plan.. I always get the say reply... "well the secret to dieting is moderation... you know you can have anything you want in moderation." And while yes i agree that's true, please just let me turn down a bad food choice and move on! I am on my way to my goal!!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    For the most part I get positive feedback, and I don't honestly think most of the dumb things people say are motivated by malice. But it does really, really get under my skin when people say things like "don't lose too much!" or "you don't want to get too skinny!" because:

1) Congratulations, I now feel like no matter what I do, skinny, fat, or average, I cannot win.
    2) I may carry this weight well, but it is still obvious to anyone with eyes that I am (still) overweight. Until my cheeks are sunken and my bones protruding, where is the cause to say such things?? I have no history of anorexia/bulimia. What's the motivation!?

Again, I really think that 98% of the time these people just don't have any idea what impact these words can have. I just find this type of comment very ... deflating.
  • unkeptwalnut83
    unkeptwalnut83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

"Don't you miss chocolate cake/ice cream/double cheeseburgers with extra lard and mayo?" Well, not until you said THAT! (except the double cheeseburger...I hate cheeseburgers and always have) But I'd rather experience a full, active life than repeat the feel of biting into a chocolate cake. I KNOW what that's like...I want new experiences!

My boss is killing me with this one. 3 weeks of working with bacon on a daily basis and I haven't had any in about 2 weeks. The cake is harder though, cause sometimes we are just throwing it away.
  • deannaborunda
    deannaborunda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Over the last 2 years I've lost 45 lbs and I always wear my bodybugg. One day this guy at work asks me why I wear it and eat healthy if I'm not dropping weight like crazy anymore.

Well the simple answer is If I stopped eating healthy you sure would notice the weight gain, I'm not dieting! I simply changed my life style.
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump....
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I was recently asked if my weight loss was intentional!!! :laugh: It was from my manager at work, he thought it due to stress or something!! I think he meant well, and it was nice when he said I looked damn good!!! :blushing:
  • MotivatedMom2012
    Options
    I've lost alot of weight and the one thing that bugs me that alot of people say is "wow you look like a new person" or " I don't even recognize you".
    This bugs me because I am still the SAME person I was....just smaller. I fight all the time to defend the girl I was before because people now think they can say things like "you were so unhealthy I was worried about you". Now they can say it to my face but couldn't before?
    But you wouldn't believe what I have heard from people...it's so bizzare. Oh well it's not about them is it.

I love your attitude ~ you are an inspiration :)
  • MotivatedMom2012
    Options
    My friend told me that I "need to go eat a hamburger". She said I looked too skinny and that my head looked too big for the rest of my body... Thanks?

sorry, but that's not much of a "friend". If one of my "friends" said something like that tome (once I am fit haha) I wouldn't speak to that person ever again.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My wife just asked me today if I was going to leave her after I lost my weight. She is nuts!! Best wife in the world!
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of losing a lot of weight that I have carried all my life. It's noticeable. Most people say something along the lines of, "Wow, you look great!" which is a wonderful boost for me. Plus it has the added benefit of allowing me to either say "thank you" and move on, or to open up a discussion about it if I so choose.

It's amazing to me what some people have said to me though! Many people will come up to me in the hall at work, and instead of saying "hi" will say, "So how much weight have you lost?" I am not comfortable giving my number out to everyone, because I still have a long way to go, and frankly, it's still embarrassing to me that I had so much to lose in the first place. I had one person who could not let it go (and this was someone I can NOT stand under the best of circumstances!). When he asked how much I had lost, I just replied "a lot." He kept on asking "so how much is a lot?" Seriously! Why does it matter!?

When I first started losing weight, people would ask me if I was losing weight. I learned to answer, "Yes, I am certainly trying to!" because if I just said "yes" it was following with something like "have you been sick?"

Many people want to know what I am doing. I have started making stuff up, because no one believes that I could just change my eating habits and exercise routine and have any success. I told someone once that I had been hypnotized. Haha!

My favorite is the woman who said "I didn't know you had weight loss surgery!" Yeah...I didn't. How uncomfortable.

What is the craziest thing that someone has said to you while you were losing weight?

I just spread my own rumors and would love to hear them get back to me. I would tell people i had an internal flesh eating disease. That was my favorite. That flesh eating disease was called excercise but non of them knew until I reached my goal that is when I told the truth about how I lost it. When you start rumors like that people were to affraid to ask about it.

hahahaa- I DO THIS^^^ A lady asked me at work how I lost 6 pounds- I told her I tried the Banana diet I saw on youtube. I previously lost 50 and when people would ask- i'd be like musta been all the drugs XD
  • buffbabe88
    buffbabe88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problems. I live in a small community on a military base and sometimes I would like to talk about something OTHER than my weight loss. Yes, I have accomplished soo much and I love to hear people say that I look good and keep it up. This is of course balanced with the, "oh...I wouldn't have recognised you without your kids...you look so different!" or "Wow! You've losta whole person!". How about this one..."you need to give me your secrets!", then when I tell them what I am doing (Crossfit and Hot Yoga witha VERY clean diet) they say..."oh, no...that's too much" or "that's just crazy".
    One thing I have noticed too is how many friends I have lost because they don't want to be around me anymore or they are jealous but don't want to put the time or hard work in. Everybody in my workplace, except for a few have shunned me, and I have been called "stripper" or "the guys only come in to talk to you" and I get in trouble for having visitors. I am actually going to quit my job in a couple weeks and go study yogo so I will be in a more supportive enviornment where I can help people through their struggles and not attack them for their successe like I have had. Good luck on your journey and congratualtions to you!!!
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Someone at work told me yesterday I was "getting bony and needed to eat some bacon." Um, I'm 5'5" and still over 190 pounds. Definitely nowhere NEAR bony!
  • ededar
    ededar Posts: 36
    Options
    My dad said today 'you know this is the first time you've worn white and not looked fat!' ...Thanks, I suppose?