That guy with fries

Options
I have been a good recently. I have made my lunches and drank water and balanced my meals. Then there is that 1 day when a co-worker sits down next to me with a giant plate of orange julep french fries (if you know mtl you know these fries)... would have murdered him just to have them. I was good got up and left but now i feel haunted by that smell.

How do you guys deal with junk food cravings? What are your weaknesses? I know moderation is the key but knowing that i could potentially murder someone for fries indicates to me that I might have other issues...haha!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something, avoiding it is a disaster. I end up eating large amounts of other foods trying to avoid it. I end up eating more calories than I would have eaten if I just ate the food I was craving in the first place!

So, I would say, have some. Order the smallest order they have, and throw (or give) half of it away. And then enjoy!
  • SaundraU
    SaundraU Posts: 77
    Options
    I also give in. I get the smallest I can, if the small is still to many calories I spilt it with hubby.

Sometimes there is something just as good that I can substitute (esp sweet cravings I find the 90 cal fiber one carmel and pretzel to do the trick).
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I always have a stash of 100cal packs in my desk - one bag of salty and one of something sweet. I usually find that it's not so much the food I'm craving, it's the salt/sugar.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I have been a good recently. I have made my lunches and drank water and balanced my meals. Then there is that 1 day when a co-worker sits down next to me with a giant plate of orange julep french fries (if you know mtl you know these fries)... would have murdered him just to have them. I was good got up and left but now i feel haunted by that smell.

How do you guys deal with junk food cravings? What are your weaknesses? I know moderation is the key but knowing that i could potentially murder someone for fries indicates to me that I might have other issues...haha!

If it's not my cheat day, I simply resist. It's tough at first, but I've gotten used to it. If it fits my cals and macros I will indulge. My biggest weakness are these little churro nuggets my local farmers market sells. Love the smell of fries though. I pass In-n-Out, Burker King, Mcdonalds, and Wendy's on my route to work. I just fight the urges.
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I give in if I can, but I log every single bite of anything... and then I drink a crap ton of water!!! haha
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will indulge and eat a small bit of whatever it is. More often I find a replacement that is kind of like the food but isn't as unhealthy. My DH makes oven baked fries (both sweet potato and regular white potato). They are really, really tasty and satisfy the craving but are much better for me overall.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Freakin' poutine!!!!!!! That would be my junk food weakness! And sometimes my co-workers eats one in my face... mostly when I have a veggie in my hand... lol
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I make it at home and make it healthier and in smaller portions. For one, it is cheaper. For another, it is healthier but hits those cravings.
  • Kgustin81
    Kgustin81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love all things chocolate, problem is I am a chocolatier for a living so I am around my temptation at a minimum of 8 hrs a day - 6 days a week.

Give in to the temptation but like others have said -- only small portions. Also, another trick I use is as soon as I go to take a bite I instantly think of how many calories I am about to consume and equate that to however long I have to be on the elliptical machine to burn it off -- and if it's really worth it I continue to enjoy and if it's not worth the extra time burning it off my bumm then I don't eat it.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Freakin' poutine!!!!!!! That would be my junk food weakness! And sometimes my co-workers eats one in my face... mostly when I have a veggie in my hand... lol

Is that what orange julep fries are? Poutine? My favorite food ever!!!!!!!

Generally, if I have a craving I try to eat a small portion of it rather than avoid it. I do what other posters have mentioned if I try to avoid, I eat, eat, eat, eat tons of healthy and not so healthy food in my attempt to avoid. It's better for me to just have what I wanted to begin with.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Poutine is poutine and Julep fries are Julep fries... actually, no direct connections unless you take a poutine with the julep fries!

I have not found pics of the Julep fries... but the damn poutine.... I did, full of them.... yummmmmm!!(drooling like Homer!)

poutine.jpg
  • beckajw
    Options
    Poutine is poutine and Julep fries are Julep fries... actually, no direct connections unless you take a poutine with the julep fries!

I have not found pics of the Julep fries... but the damn poutine.... I did, full of them.... yummmmmm!!(drooling like Homer!)

poutine.jpg

Ugh!!!!! I can't believe you did that!!!!!

Oh, so yummy! I love poutine. Never heard of Julep fries (only been to Montreal a couple of times). But I love poutine and will probably be having poutine next weekend.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would move to mtl just for poutine omg.
  • beckajw
    Options
    Mmm, cheese curd, salty, squeaky cheese curd... Gravy, fries, mmmm
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I also give in. I get the smallest I can, if the small is still to many calories I spilt it with hubby.

Sometimes there is something just as good that I can substitute (esp sweet cravings I find the 90 cal fiber one carmel and pretzel to do the trick).

Get it, take no more than 5 bites and throw it out! Wait 5 minutes and you'll find the craving will be gone.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    the smell of Doritos gets me sometimes and my son loves them. i don't buy chips and junk often, but when he has friends over, I give in and buy some. But lately I have found 1 or 2 is enough. I take my time and enjoy the 1 or 2 that I eat and I don't ruin my diet. I am actually very proud of this new self-control I am finding within myself. Maybe you could try just having a few fries.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I wait for hiking days, then I indulge all my cravings! Hiking days means at least a 1200 cal burn...I can eat pretty much whatever I want!
  • fatboymax
    fatboymax Posts: 90
    Options

I was eating cucumber and red peppers when he sat down. Poutine aaarrrrgggg ... So good
  • fatboymax
    Options
    i would move to mtl just for poutine omg.

I work right next door to the julep and the smell of Poutine and fries comes in my office when the wind blows just right. Haven't had them in 1year cause I would give in to Poutine all the time!
  • fatboymax
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. It is good to know that I am not the only one struggling with this!