WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• petalsandpaws
    Options
    Great day on the Oregon Coast. wreckedredhead, I have to say, but I'm new to this, that anything below 1200 calories is sending your body into starvation mode. Been there, done that. It does not work and you will burn out. Try increasing up past 1200. I don't know your food diary as it is locked, but you might let other see it and see where experience and advice could help.. These ladies on here are some of the best at targeting possible solutions.
    I, myself use the food diary, and tools to get and track my daily totals. What a help. Motivation from this site is awesome. I am way older then you and know what age can be like to fight, but give your body energy to help you in your fight as well.
    My diary is open and available if you need ideas.
    Everyone else, with or without pools, I envy you. I have the pacific Ocean as my pool, but YIKES!! is it cold!! So I will just envy yours. All of you experiencing the dreadfu heat, I do not envy, and would gladly send some of this cold air your way.
    Anyway, prayers for all you who are suffering medical issues. Easting healthy I know aids us in faster recovery time. All of you ladies help all of newbies along in this battle. Keep up the good work and keep up this site. Once day soon I can call myself and old timer too!!
    Have a great Thursday, TGIF is almost here.
    Hugs, :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Remember how I said I need to curb the nighttime snacking? Well, last night I had to have something so I had three cherries.

Did an hour workout on the bosu today. Tomorrow I'll do a Jari Love Extremely Ripped DVD. Right now I'm waiting for the pool guys to get here to have our preconstruction meeeting. They are supposed to bring the template for the pool and it really rained this morning. So we'll probably be outside some in mud. Fortunately, it looks like the rain has stopped.

Linda Sundance - how well I remember getting my braces off! Your daughter must be on cloud seventeen! The pool will be 16 x about 34. It's a 7 foot slide. Jessica wanted us to get one with an 360 degree turn but we weren't about to pay THAT much, they are very expensive. It has a turn to the left. Are you sure you can't get a pool? The pool only has to be 5 feet from an electrical wire.

Had our pre-construction meeting for the pool. They RIGHT NOW are planning to start landscaping next Wed. The pool and spa will be delivered Friday. At least that is the plan right now.

Did an hour bosu DVD, then had the meeting, went to the post office, the library where I requested a Richard Simmons DVD, home, senior bowling, WalMart, home, Bed Bath and Beyond, PetSmart, Aldi, Office Depot, home for dinner. I guess I pitted about 3 lbs of cherries, have them in the freezer right now. I had originally told Jessica I'd go up to VA to help her ice a cake, but then the meeting got postponed until today (originally I'd thought it was to be Mon or Tues). Tell me, am I a terrible mother? I've waited 5 years for this pool, I wasn't about to miss this meeting. It did get over at 10:30 but I told Jess it was over around 1. One part of me feels bad that I told her I'd come up and I didn't. But then the other part of me says that I couldn't leave until around noon, which would mean I wouldn't get there until around 7. Then I'd have to come home tomorrow. I wouldn't even be there for 24 hours. I feel bad that I promised her I'd go there to help her ice a cake, but yet.......

It looks like we're going to be changing primary care doctors. The one we've been going to for the past 5 years, his office communication needs a lot of work. Vince calls and specifically asks that they call in prescriptions for 90 days, they only call it in for 30 (so it costs us more money) saying that he needs to make an appt for a physical, only he already had one. There have been lots of times when I've requested copies of MY records (blood work, etc) and I'm given the routine that I need to wait for the nurse to make the copy. Why she couldn't make it beforehand and just leave it at the desk is beyond me. They've gone thru 3 nurses since I've been there. These are just a few of the issues we've dealt with, and we're just at the point of "give me a break". Vince is on warfarin so he has a protine level taken every month. Previously, the nurse would call us with the results (there usually isn't any change). Suddenly about a year ago the doctor had to spend 2 minutes telling him the results (this meant we were changed for an office visit). Not to mention that his office is like 20 minutes away. I think we're going to change to a doctor's office that is about 15 minutes away and has privileges at the hospital near us.

slywheat - you joined just by posting! Stop in quite often and let us get to know more about you.

wreckedredhead - yup, you got it right, just log in, catch up. That's ITYee gads! Look at the time already.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: It has been a glorious day here with sunshine and temps in the 70's.....I spent lots of time walking with and without dogs and working in the yard.....not much time left for the computer :laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: Amanda, I love your new picture. :bigsmile:

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Barbie from NW Washington
  • Imaclown
    Imaclown Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just getting back on track here and I have got to get out and walk, or some sort of exercise more, just can't seem to get going on that part. And the older I get the harder it seems to be. I use to get out and walk all the time and now, sitting in a cool house is about it, I need to get going...
  • berickson222
    Options
    I am 54 and going through menopause. I have gained 4 sizes in past 6 years and NOT HAPPY!!! I NEED support from anyone who is going through such a rapid weight gain and what you are doing to drop those pounds!!!!! I was 128 lbs. in 2005 and now 152 in 2012....HELP!!!!!!!!!
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you everyone for all your prayers for my GS, Matthew. :heart: His surgery went better then expected. They were able to remove the band on his artery with out a hitch and he is doing fine. He will be in ICU for a day or two at the most and able to go home in a week or so. Thanks again for all your payers and well wishes, Rose
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

@PetalsandPaws glad you had a good time at the coast.

@DrKatieBug, you are doing great happy 28th!!

For the most part my husband is supportive I don't think he thought I'd last this long for in past I would talk about it and never start it got to a point were I never mention it neither did he about my weight. I just nthought this was going to be me. forever. I know its still a long way away but something just click and I came to its now just try. I am afraid that I am going to jinks it myself. But I do believe me hitting my breaking point help and MFP with forums like this.

Every night I try to go to this group and one other both are good but I do think this one is tops in just being welcoming and openness and acceptance. Thank you all and thank you @Barbie.

Liz

I
  • cjspensley
    cjspensley Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi everyone from hot, steamy Chicago! It was 100 degrees when I left work at 5:15pm. Yikes. Then I went home and cooked on the grill. 8^)

I'm doing pretty well with the recording and checking and weighing and exercising. I do love riding my bike, it's just hard to find the time some days. Starting to make it up the hills easier (OK, it's Chicago, so they're not really HILLS but we do have some "inclines" out here in the 'burbs).

After a half pound gone yesterday, I was pretty happy to see another whole pound gone today! I wonder where they've gone...no, I don't really care as long as they stay away!

As for the evening snacking...I'm trying to keep more fresh fruit in the house, keeping the pop in a cooler OUTSIDE, and keeping a glass of icewater handy at all times, at home and at work. I bought some 100-calorie snacks in quantity at Costco last week, but haven't tried them yet. Right now we have wonderful fresh watermelon and canteloupe, so I'd rather have that.

You would think that as hot as it is, we would all be just melting away. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way! 8^)

Cj
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Woke up with a headache today, and have had a dull one all day. I am thinking it is this menopause thing. I started my cycle again after not having one for 6 months. I am now feeling like that old pre-menses yuk. I cycle with my daughters! I hope this feeling is gone tomorrow. At least I have tomorrow off!:explode: :explode:

Ok, so last night I did still have that "sweet craving" as my girls were eating candy in the living room. The orthodontist gave my daughter a big bag of candy and treats that they can't eat with braces on.This is what they were eating. I had 1/2 of a banana and some almonds! :noway: :noway: This is a first for me, as normally I would have eaten the candy too! :drinker: :drinker:

exermom- I will have to call the electric company again, but the pool contractor that came out said the same thing. We can't afford it now any way.When I was on work comp this last year they stopped paying me (even though I was not back to work),so, we had to live on one salary for 6 months.We are now working on paying off this debit.:sad: :sad:
    I am going to bed to get some sleep and pray this HA is gone tomorrow
    Anyway, ya'all keep on track, keep coming back and step by step,one day at a time,WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Linda-SundanceB
  • Linda_Jaques
    Linda_Jaques Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies....

I am new to this site and really am looking for new friends and support. I have over the past 18 months lost 65 lbs but still have a little way to go. I have found myself recently putting back on some of the weight, but have tried to nip it in the bud, hence my joining this site. Up until now my weight loss has been relatively easy...in so far as I have just ate healthily and I swam a mile 4 to 5 times a week...the weight dropped off. But now it's not so easy and I am really looking for support from you guys.

I am still swimming a mile most days and have been monitoring my calories... I know Rome wasn't bulit in a day...but why does it only take 2 weeks to put on 7lbs and far, far longer to lose it?? LOL

Keep chatting....you are all inspirational to me!!

Linda x
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Thrilled to find this thread. Though I spend a lot of time interacting with people much younger than I am and feel comfortable around people of all ages, when it comes to weight loss, the youngsters don't face quite the same issues as those of us who are older. It's good to find a group of women who understand what it's like.

Besides the challenges of a post-menopausal body, I've been dealing with chronic Lyme Disease for going on 20 years now. I used to lead a very active lifestyle and never had a weight problem until I became ill, but I was approaching 200 pounds (198 at 5'2"!) and needed to do something NOW. I decided to get serious about losing weight and trying to regain some level of fitness and joined MFP a few months ago.

I've been with my current partner (we're not married and feels weird to call him my 'boyfriend') for 17 years. I have 2 grown sons from my marriage; they are married and each have two children. Sadly, they live far away. I live in So. Cal and one son lives in NYC, the other in Gloucestershire, England, so I don't get to see them as often as I'd like, but thankfully, there's Skype!

What else can I say in way of introduction?.... I don't work (the Lyme Disease) but have degrees in math and law. I do a lot of online civil rights activism, energy allowing, and am going to start volunteering at a local church's math tutoring program on Saturday mornings. Hoping my energy holds up for that. I always feel better when I feel I'm doing something to make a positive impact in the world. I guess it's just the old '60s hippy in me. :)

Look forward to getting to know everyone.

~ Kathleen
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Morning (Where's the sun gone! :grumble:) It's still quite warm, but gray as ditchwater!

:flowerforyou: Welcome all the newbies. Kathleen (ownedbycats) love the picture I think I could do to tape my mouth shut sometimes, only way to stop me snacking on an evening.

Seems we have quite a few Linda's on the thread, welcome lindajaques swimming is a good way to lose weight, and if you are watching your calories the weight should soon go .... well that's the theory, the practice is sometimes different :bigsmile:
    Linda Sundance B :drinker: :drinker: well done with sticking to the banana and almonds, I admire your willpower.

I'm feeling a little better today, I think the head cold is on it's way, but it has left me feeling very very tired, so will leave it until tomorrow before starting back on gentle exercise. I've 3 fitness DVDs to work through. I have also ordered some weights and once they get here will start the SWSY exercises.

We've just bought our German Shepherd some wheels - she has degenerative myelopathy and this contraption is supposed to support her back end/legs to help her walk again. It needs putting together, but no doubt we will give it a try this afternoon.

Can't believe its 11:00 a.m. already, I need to get myself organised, I'm going for my blood test in an hour to check my thyroid levels.

Take care everyone!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies

We made it into work this morning - despite the crowds for the finale of the Olympic torch relay which finishes up about half a mile from where we are working. The tube was hot and unpleasant - with an overpowering aroma of perspiration and curry spices for some reason!

I have a raging toothace and I am booked in to have an extraction on Monday, which will certainly be a relief. It is a back tooth, so it shouldn't impact to much on my smile! Speaking of which, my new profile pic makes my teeth look positively yellow and I assure you they're not! The photo was taken last month when I was in Dusseldorf visiting my DD.

Last night my DH and I ate in the garden and then played backgammon until it got dark. Very restful and we finished on a draw. DH taught me to play decades ago and he still gets niggled when I beat him - which I do ... often!

I have a stack of work to wade through, so best get started. Have a good day my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • bigpal
    bigpal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies hope all has a good day today did better yeasterday it is supoise to storm this evening hate storms but love the rain i have a german sheperd about 9 months old love her to dealth shes my friend i caught myself talking to her when nobodies around my husband steps outside and asks who u talking to i just laugh and go on he gets a funny look on his face lol
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,140 Member
    Options
    Hi all - it was in the 100s here yesterday as well. A storm front with lots of wind went through last night leaving a few rain drops so today is suppose to be in the 90s and maybe just the 80s tomorrow. Felt like a blow torch on my skin when I went outdoors briefly yesterday. This has been quite hard on the bike riders on RAGBRAI. I feel so sorry for them.

New topic: I really watch my sodium intake and am always under 1500 mg. Yesterday was more like 800 mg. What I cannot understand is why my body retains water every time I eat a raw apple. What is the deal?? Apples are suppose to be good in RELIEVING water retention. Just a peculiarity of mine I guess---eat an apple; blow up and potentially have a headache. Duh.

Topic (another): We are on on a 10% voluntary water restriction program now. I don't use lots of water anyway so I just wish people who are using unlimited water to keep their lawns green would stop. I take short showers, don't wash clothes without a full load, do not run water when brushing teeth etc, have water restricted shower heads, have a device in the toilet bowl to reduce water usage---come on, what more can I do? There is talk that if they don't see the reduction needed, everyone will be surcharged for their water. Doesn't seem fair to me---people who can afford it will still use more water and people who cannot afford it will just be pinched even more. Ok, I am slowly climbing off my soapbox. :blushing:

Kathleen - love your N0H8 photo. I first saw Pauley Perrette's photo for this campaign and then a friend of mine posted his picture on Facebook (duh, I didn't even know they were in town doing those). I'm an old hippy too but I don't think I'd be up to doing much marching these days. :laugh:

Amanda - good luck on Olympic survival. We see reports everyday about traffic issues. So sorry.

Bigpal - when I had dogs, I always talked to them. I always thought it was just the natural thing to do!

For those with headaches, colds, and other health problems, hoping for better physical health. Moving on, I've rambled too much again.

Wishing everyone SUCCESS!! :drinker: :drinker:

Lin
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    bump
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sunny Thursday,

Meg- 380 emails:noway: yuck! Good for you saying No to ice cream:drinker: it's one of my downfalls and I really have to fight to say no or even keep it at 1/2 cup...so hard.:wink:

drkatiebug- gottal love the hubby that teases:love: they keep our lives centered. I think my hubby has resigned himself to this change in eating habits for me, at least now he asks me if what he wants is something I could handle on what is left of my calories of the day:bigsmile:

DebA- sorry that you have to go to extra training before the school year starts, but I'm sure the students will appreciate that you know what you are doing with the ipad:wink: because I'm sure that most of them will have no trouble at all, kids know how to use today technology long before the adults do:happy:

Jane- glad for the good report on getting back to other exercise. Moving day...oh how I hate to move:huh:

Wreckredhea- welcome to the "it's harder to lose as we have gotten older club" as well as the "we do love the sweets & bread club":flowerforyou: I'm pretty sure that there are more than myself that join you in those two trains of thought. At our age you have to find what works for you to lose. I know that what works for me would not work for others so I try not to say "do it this way and not that" For all of us it's an individual journey:drinker:

Michele- the pool is coming along...already planning the landscaping...WOW that's quick:love: Let us know when you are doing your first swim.

Imaclown- it is so much easier to sit in the air conditioning but we all know that if we want to succeed at this journey we MUST get up and get moving:flowerforyou: Maybe try and take your walk early in the morning or after the sun goes down when it's cooler.

Rose- thank you for the update on Matthew, glad the surgery went well:flowerforyou:

Liz-it comes to all of us at some point where we have said "enough is enough" so glad you found MFP & this group...you can do it, you've started off so well:drinker:

cj- congrats on the loss:drinker: every little bit adds up. In all that heat don't forget to keep hydrated drink plenty of water:drinker:

Linda-sundance- the ortho gave your daughter candy:noway: that just sounds so wrong. But good for you not diving into it, I'm sure the banana & almonds didn't taste the same as candy...but for you it's a victory just saying no:drinker:

Lindajaques- Welcome:flowerforyou: great loss so far and swimming a mile:noway: what great exercise.

Wizzywig- I'm sure your german shepard will love his new walking device once he gets used to it:flowerforyou: it's amazing how we take care of our animals:love:

Amanda- :love: love the new picture:love: too many bodies on the tube? strong smell of curry...was someone bring dinner home do you think?:huh:

bigpal- I'm sure we all talk to our animals...I know Peanut loves when I whisper in his ear:laugh:

Lin- retaining water when you eat an apple:noway: maybe increase your water when you have one to flush out whatever is causing you to hold on to the sodium....I've never heard of such a thing.:ohwell:

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou:

Last night we went on a walk instead of a bike ride because it was so hot. I don't burn near what I do with a bike ride but am glad for any exercise I do get in. We saw 14 deer last night and two were fawns with their momma, always fun to see the babies.

Still no grandson #3, thought once again it would be last night after hubby was told to be ready to head over to watch grandsons #1 & #2 if DIL headed to the hospital...when I got home I was told they went to Costco instead:noway: When DIL called me on Monday she said she felt like it could be this weekend...so am hoping she's right.

#2 Son was supposed to have his promotion to Captain in the Army Reserves today, but some higher up muckity muck hasn't forwarded the orders :grumble: so instead of having today off I'm here at work. The good thing is that when the paperwork finally does come through it will be retroactive for any pay due him, which they can use especially with the 2 kiddos and the one almost here.

I best get moving, lots of paper work to do and so far I've not seen the paper faries doing their job.:laugh:

Everyone have a good day, If you eat it log it, get moving so you can be losing and don't forget to drink your water and then drink some more:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a 12 hour day. I managed 13000 steps and 26 flights of stairs so that part was good.

this weekend is all about getting the dog run finished for Bodi and Ritter. I should be to busy to eat much so that will be good.

Hoping you all are having a great day.

Robin (Bodi and Rit aren't in the profile pic anymore:cry: )
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. Where has the day gone??? All I have really accomplished today is round 1 of the grocery shopping! We had 0.2 inches of rain last night...not much at all, but it's the only rain we have gotten in July and at least it cooled the ground off some. We are "only" going to be in the 90s today and the lows will be nice for a while, so maybe some walking is in order. Sure is quiet around here without the 15 year old....can't believe I miss her LOL.

Not much going on today; want to finish this chapter I am working on and get it sent off then maybe some yard work. Tonight is game night and it is DH's turn to pick, so that will be fun. And tomorrow starts the Olympics. I know many Londoners are not thrilled, but I love the Olympics. I used to take 2 weeks off work for every one to watch every minute of them! So I am excited!

Welcome to all the newbies. It is so nice to see new people joining all the time. You will find great support here and friendship.

Deb: I-pads in the classroom. Wow, that is great. I know what you mean about that learning curve;we always have some new technology to figure out, usually without much training. Last spring it was a whole new learning platform...out with Angel and in with Jenzebar. UGH

Wreckedredhead: I hope you are recovering well from your surgery.

Petals and Paws: I bet that ocean is cold! But I'm sure you are having a great time.

Barbiecat: I am so jealous of your weather. Yesterday was our 15th day in a row of above 95!

Rose: I'll keep your GS in my thoughts

CJ: I love fresh melons! I do hate it when I buy them and they look good, but when you cut into them, they aren't. That is so disappointing.

Linda: I hope you feel better soon! Menopause nearly did me in (who knows where I am now...I'm back on depo=provera to stop the endless periods!)

Wizzywig: hope your thyroid levels come out fine!

Amanda: what does "niggled" mean? I'm thinking something along the lines of annoyed

Laura: still on the grandma watch! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a new grandbaby soon!

Well that's all from me today. Got to get to work and get this chapter done. Maybe some yard work tonight. Take care all, Meg
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies,
    I spent the day off from work yesterday cleaning; I was worn out by bed time. I am at work today. I Did my walking at lunch time and so am doing a lot better with getting up and moving around. I am trying to stay active at home more also.

Amanda I love your new photo and sorry to hear about your tooth, I know what pain that can be. I remember when backgammon was all the rage and everyone was playing it. My brother bought me a set in a leather case and we would go to the sports bars and play in the tournaments, LOL I was not all that good but I could hold my own. It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of people that way. I still have my set , but haven’t played in a long time. That was in the mid 80's Wow!

Bigpal: that is so funny; I talk to my dog all the time, my hubby thinks I am making a big baby out of him. LOL

Linder4866 : where are you? I am in Indiana and we have had a water restriction since july 4th and some of our Fireworks for the Holliday were band as well because of the dry grass and so forth. WE are supposed to get rain today also. Wishing you relief soon!! I realy feel sorry for the farms in the Heart Land they are not doing so good , look out this winter, the price of the vegs, will probable be up.

well I had better get back to work , congrats to all of you that are loosing and Prayer and hugs to all of you that are having health problems , hope you feel better soon. check back soon, and have a great eveing !

Rachel P