Filling up my boyfriend! help

Options
2»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The problem with increasing portion size and in particular protein and / or fat is satiety. Both have a hunger blunting affect, protein in particular.

Whilst the main thing in dieting down is a deficit the main thing in bulking is ensuring a calorie surplus. Eating 4-6 times a day can make a difference when bulking as it allows the trainee to eat sufficient calories per day without experiencing the physical discomfort of having to eat only a couple of big meals.

So, the easiest way to achieve the goals of eating enough calories without doing a number on hunger is...to...increase...carbs.

ETA: assuming that protein intake in particular is at a sufficient level which I presume they are given his use of protein shakes.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    honestly, just make more food and let him eat several servings. if you make a bunch of stuff that you'd want to eat too you're just going to be battling yourself ALL THE TIME!!! OR, tell him to consume the majority of this calories during the day, when you're not around him!

have him eat a HUGE breakfast. like a dozen eggs huge. i think if you start adding foods to meals, you're going to feel like you're being deprived when you don't get to eat it too..........

YES! exactly....adding carbs like potatoes will just make me crabby that I can't eat it...and then I will therefore, eat it. Things that my boyfriend will willingly make himself include frozen pizza rolls, egg rolls, pizzas, tostidos, etc.....and he'll use the microwave, yuck (except for the pizzas). Those frozen items can get really expensive and doesn't last long.

Maybe you coull make something like oven roasted potatoes and just have 1/4 cup portion for yourself so you don't feel deprived but he's getting his needed calories.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone's already said this but invest in a slow-cooker [if you don't already have one] you can make some pretty awesome tasting meals with little effort and in big portion sizes... not only is it good for the both of you [he can just simply have a bigger portion than you] but it's great re-heated for lunch the following day! And there are a ton of dishes you can make in a slow-cooker! Here's a link to one of my fav recipe websites! Good luck :)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_slow_cooker_recipes
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    (Also, if you like making you both dinner, there's nothing wrong with that - ignore the haters who are giving you crap about cooking for him. It's a very nice gesture, and if it works for your relationship, that's great.)

COULD NOT AGREE WITH THIS MORE! :) Ignor the meanies.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone's already said this but invest in a slow-cooker [if you don't already have one] you can make some pretty awesome tasting meals with little effort and in big portion sizes... not only is it good for the both of you [he can just simply have a bigger portion than you] but it's great re-heated for lunch the following day! And there are a ton of dishes you can make in a slow-cooker! Here's a link to one of my fav recipe websites! Good luck :)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_slow_cooker_recipes

Great idea! I do have a slow-cooker but I don't use it as much as I should.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but that thread title gave me some totally innappropriate for work thoughts.

Ahem.

Can't he just have a larger portion?

*ohmigod, I'm sorry, I've got the giggles now*

<
    childish

I've been trying to come up with the "innappropriate" thought that was derived from my title...and I can't !! LoL...but I want to! The only thing I can think of, would relate more to if I was guy talking about my girlfriend. Hmm..hope I'm not crossing any lines with that statement.
    You're on the right track, but you seem so sweet I don't really want to corrupt you.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but that thread title gave me some totally innappropriate for work thoughts.

Ahem.

<
    childish

I've been trying to come up with the "innappropriate" thought that was derived from my title...and I can't !! LoL...but I want to! The only thing I can think of, would relate more to if I was guy talking about my girlfriend. Hmm..hope I'm not crossing any lines with that statement.

Yeah. If the title was "filling up my girlfriend," I could see the inappropriate.
  • emtb319
    emtb319 Posts: 87
    Options
    i've got the same deal with my husband...he prefers to eat rice with his meals, so i make him that and i give him a much larger portion size..it seems to be doing the trick nicely
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is doing P90X and trying to GAIN mass by eating lots of calories, some coming from his 2 high calorie protein shakes a day. My problem, is that I'm NOT trying to gain mass and instead need to consume close to 1200 calories...unlike his ideal 5,000 so that I can lose weight. I like to make nice diners for us, but what I need to eat, does fill him up and satisfy him. Plus, he takes left overs to work and reheated veggies just aren't too good. I would like to make lean meat (chicken and fish) with a veggie every night.

What are some ideas of things to ADD to the meal that doesn't add more work for me, is filling for him, isn't tempting for me, and is convenient for him to take to work?

Thanks!

My husband and I have the same problem. He normally just eats twice as much as I do, but if the main dish is higher calorie and I need to eat less I'll make a big salad. He and our kids will have a little, I'll have a lot. Then they'll have as much as they need of the main dish and I won't be hungry for a lot of it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Ahem.

<
    childish

Yeah. If the title was "filling up my girlfriend," I could see the inappropriate.
    You really can't think of any holes on a man?
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are there foods he loves, but you are so-so on or hate? I would make a dish that I did not want or care for in addition to the regular dinner fare. That way he can have more for his intake needs and you wouldn't feel bad/be tempted about skipping it. Is there a sauce/condiment you dislike? If that was in a dish/on it I wouldn't be tempted to eat it. (My hubby loves Sirancha, I can't stand the taste.) Even if it's a food that I would absolutely love, once that sauce is on it it's ruined for me and I want no part of it.

Also, can you top his food with higher calorie items? For example some cheeses are higher in calories. You can have a low calorie cheese on your eggs/pizza/sandwich while he has the higher calorie one on his. Your bread could be a lower calorie version while he has a denser one. That way you are eating the "same" but different.

If you eat yogurt, perhaps add some mix-ins. While you can both mix in granola and fresh fruit, perhaps his a larger amount of the granola in his (typically higher in calories). You can increase his portion sizes on higher calorie items to help him. If you feel as though you are feeling deprived when you see his amount of food, you could increase your lower calorie portion. For example with salad I can double my greens and hardly even add to the calories, but it is huge and filling. Visually it looks as though I am having just as much or more than hubby because his caloric intake is more.

If he needs to up his calories with a snack and you don't want to be tempted, etc. is it possible for him to eat it where you do not see him doing so? If your space is small, etc. is it possible for him to eat it when you are outside watering the plants/going on a walk/folding the laundry/getting a shower/etc. That way if you aren't in the immediate area you won't see it and be tempted.

Calories don't care what time of day it is. If you can't resist bed time snacking with him, save some calories for a bedtime snack. That way you can enjoy something that you like while he has his higher calorie snack. For example you could both have some almonds, he would just have twice the amount of your serving. Personally I can nibble on my handful of almonds while hubby downs his and still be nibbling after he's done. So even though my serving might be smaller, I can make it last longer and feel as though I am eating just as much or more than him.
  • gettingto98
    Options
    i have some ideas!

i think having him drink calories is easier -- way way less tempting. milk, OJ, etc.
    cooking his food with extra sauce could help too -- if you are having grilled chicken, use extra olive oil to make his or butter or whatever. not that tempting. same with dressings for salads. nuts are also a good way - if you have a salad, put a ton of nuts on his - high calorie and high protein.

other idea -- make a creamy soup at the beginning of the week and then give him a portion every day. super easy to heat up, prob pretty cheap and not too tempting.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Maybe he can make his own freaking dinner. Sheesh!

Just add a glob of cheese on the plate? IDK. Had him a protein drink along with dinner. Give him a triple portion. Sorry not helpful because I think if he wants something different than what you are making, then he needs to get up off the couch and make it.

I love this. I for one, do not have a subserviant bone in my body:drinker:

Not that the OP is subserviant, she seems to enjoy cooking (as do I) but neverstray, I love your attitude. And old profile pic.:wink:
  • MrsBailey149
    Options

Ahem.

<
    childish

You really can't think of any holes on a man?

Well, yes, I can think of some holes on a man....I don't know why any girlfriend would need to "fill it up" though. eww.
  • MrsBailey149
    Options
    Are there foods he loves, but you are so-so on or hate? I would make a dish that I did not want or care for in addition to the regular dinner fare. That way he can have more for his intake needs and you wouldn't feel bad/be tempted about skipping it. Is there a sauce/condiment you dislike? If that was in a dish/on it I wouldn't be tempted to eat it. (My hubby loves Sirancha, I can't stand the taste.) Even if it's a food that I would absolutely love, once that sauce is on it it's ruined for me and I want no part of it.

Also, can you top his food with higher calorie items? For example some cheeses are higher in calories. You can have a low calorie cheese on your eggs/pizza/sandwich while he has the higher calorie one on his. Your bread could be a lower calorie version while he has a denser one. That way you are eating the "same" but different.

If you eat yogurt, perhaps add some mix-ins. While you can both mix in granola and fresh fruit, perhaps his a larger amount of the granola in his (typically higher in calories). You can increase his portion sizes on higher calorie items to help him. If you feel as though you are feeling deprived when you see his amount of food, you could increase your lower calorie portion. For example with salad I can double my greens and hardly even add to the calories, but it is huge and filling. Visually it looks as though I am having just as much or more than hubby because his caloric intake is more.

If he needs to up his calories with a snack and you don't want to be tempted, etc. is it possible for him to eat it where you do not see him doing so? If your space is small, etc. is it possible for him to eat it when you are outside watering the plants/going on a walk/folding the laundry/getting a shower/etc. That way if you aren't in the immediate area you won't see it and be tempted.

Calories don't care what time of day it is. If you can't resist bed time snacking with him, save some calories for a bedtime snack. That way you can enjoy something that you like while he has his higher calorie snack. For example you could both have some almonds, he would just have twice the amount of your serving. Personally I can nibble on my handful of almonds while hubby downs his and still be nibbling after he's done. So even though my serving might be smaller, I can make it last longer and feel as though I am eating just as much or more than him.

Great ideas! Thank you
  • adonnelly13
    adonnelly13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I increase portion size for my husband. I'm also going to try to start making a carb for him as well, but make enought for two or tree days at a time so he can re heat it. sometimes its hard to make a carb for only one day!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Bigger portions is the easiest thing I can think of... Instead of making dinner/meals for 2, make them for 3-4 people, and he gets all the extra? Also I saw someone listed milk - yup, that's a good one. There's a thread/discussion around somewhere called AGOMAD, which stands for 'A Gallon Of Milk A Day.' And yes, more snacks - just baked chicken with some steamed broccoli, etc. And of course, he can add a few protein shakes during the day. If you're trying to get in 5000 calories a day, you really can't do it without major snacking.

(Also, if you like making you both dinner, there's nothing wrong with that - ignore the haters who are giving you crap about cooking for him. It's a very nice gesture, and if it works for your relationship, that's great.)

Good luck.

I love this response! My DH doesn't eat much during the day, he's just too busy! So dinner is his biggest meal and he's hungry! What I've done in order to make us both happy is to make some small changes to our favorite recipes (leaner meats, less pasta, more veg) and then I make sure my portions stay within my calorie limits. He can eat however much he wants.

And I get what you're saying about the side dishes..I'm not a fan of potatoes so I can easily give him the bulk of those but when it comes to like cheddar rice or noodles of any kind, I could eat tons and it makes me a little sad when I can't. But I keep myself in check anyway because I know it's worth it not to gorge myself and I know he can use the calories more than me.

Also have to say, I HATE when people say "if he doesn't like it, let him cook his own"! First of all, it's not helpful advice. Second, some of us actually enjoy taking care of our significant others! It doesn't make us doormats or whatever the militant feminist view is. You live your life the way you want and we'll do the same...

P.S. hehe, got off on a tangent and forgot my other ideas! I like the idea of adding cheese, when appropriate to his meals. Also, have him snack on hard boiled eggs, nuts, seeds and peanut butter - all calorie dense but nutritious foods. I've heard some iffy things (not sure if true, just putting it out there) about eating too much of those protein powders so maybe do some research if he's going to continue with those.
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, Bread type things, and Nuts come to mind first