Chocolate cravings attack EVERY night, without fail... tips?

Options
124»

Replies

• Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I deal with my chocolate cravings in one of two ways, and yes I do this regularly!

1. I keep a batch of chocolate covered bananas in my freezer for a chocolate 'ice cream' like treat, the chocolate coating the banana helps with the chocolate craving and frozen banana tastes like ice cream...but with nutritional value!

2. I cut up strawberries, (or peaches, or bananas, or whatever fruit I have lying around) and I top it with whipped cream, and sprinkle unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips on top. The unsweetened cocoa gives the whipped cream a nice chocolate flavor, and the chocolate chips give actual chocolate to help satisfy.

They are both low enough in calories and include healthy things...and they feel like actual treats!

I learned a long time ago, when you love chocolate like I do, its best to find ways to incorporate it then to constantly fight it off. Will power is only temporary!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    if it is every night like clockwork- then maybe it is actually the comfort ritual part that you have come to crave. Maybe jusst bite-the-bullet, get rid of all the chocolate in the house for week and have a cup of your favorite tea instead.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    half a cup of greek yogurt with 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder

Dark Cocoa almonds

Sugar-free chocolate syrup in milk.
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    Ghradelli 72% Dark Cocao is the best. I also find that, sometimes, drinking water before you reach for the snack really helps. After I drink a glass of water, I find that most of the time I no longer crave anything.

^
    This
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    I have this problem, too. I keep handy a list of healthy recipes (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ has a ton of good ones), and I make something little myself. There are recipes on that site for a single cookie, cupcake, cookie dough balls, and sooo many other good things - having to make just 1 ensures that a) I really, really want it and b) that I can't possibly binge.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always have a glass or two of milk each day for strong bones, etc. When I have chocolate cravings I heat 8 oz. of milk, add unsweetened baking cocoa to taste, and a packet of stevia. I whisk all of this together. I'm really only consuming the calories from the milk!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Lots of research out there claims chocolate craving can be caused by magnesium deficiency and/or low progesterone levels. I used to have terrible cravings but they're gone. I've been supplementing magnesium and using natural progesterone cream for awhile though so I don't know if it was one, the other, or both. Anyway, something you might check into.
  • ebeth15
    ebeth15 Posts: 3
    Options
    I get cravings for sweets after dinner, too! Right now, I'm really into fat-free Jello pudding (I like the chocolate-vanilla swirl for 100 calories), dark-choclate covered pomegranate seeds from Trader Joe's (they are really tiny and rich so you eat a small portion of them slowly), and chocolate covered strawberries. I figure if I can work a health benefit (like calcium or antioxidants or fiber) in there somewhere, a little chocolate won't hurt ;)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I bought some Dark chocolate almond milk. I still don't always go to that, so I have some sugar free triple chocolate ice cream, it's only 110 calories for 1/2 cup. Still not that great for you though, however as long as I track it and its within my calories, I don't mind.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe for 40 calorie brownies on MFP - if you search 40 cal brownie it comes up.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day, I work it into my calories. If I have dark chocolate I can be satisfied with a small amount. Something sugary like M&Ms and I lose control! So I'll eat 1-2 squares of dark for either 75 or 125 cals. I'm much happier that way!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I add a tb or 2 of brownie mix powder to a serving of cottage cheese. Tastes like a fudgy pudding and the brownie mix only adds 37 cals a tb, not a diet killer. I use hannaford store branf dark chocolate brownie mix. I am a super chocoholic.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm such a sweets person!! I am always craving something sweet.

With that being said, usually a couple pieces of Hershey's dark chocolate suffices. Some chocolate milk maybe even chocolate whey with milk tastes good. Got to try the banana ice cream (recipe is on here somewhere).
    Um, coffee with creamer helps, so does a bowl of fruit. I try to stay away from the ice cream or the candy bars. It's hard to stop with those sort of things. It's incredibly hard to stop at 1 cup of icecream. Really not that much of you measure it out.

I've found that if I'm craving something sweet I need to satisfy the craving immidiatelu or it leads to a binge 80% of the time.

OHH.. The best and most recent thing I've been doing for my sweet tooth is having a cup/half cup of milk with 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter.