Fasting Motivation!

Options
For 2 weeks I have been a wayward child haha. Weight has gone up and down... but surprisingly I'm only .6 lbs up from 2 weeks ago. I'm okay with that bc I have been very bad. But today I woke up with my game face on! I sought out some much needed motivation. (videos of fasting on YouTube... not sure why that helps me but it does) Starting today I am shooting for a 10 day fast! In 12 days I start my new job (climbing the corporate ladder) and I would like to be a little smaller. And in 17 days my son turns 1!!! I'm sure all of you don't really care about my rambling bc we are mostly here for ourselves.... But I thought maybe my motivation on this dreary Thursday might motivate someone else! Good Luck everyone! Stay strong!

Replies

• VinoFonseca
    VinoFonseca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow. 10 days. I did 4 a few weeks ago. I was surprised how easy it was. Of course, I'm working out a lot and rarely feel hungry these days, but still, the only thing I was 'eating' was lemonade made with maple syrup. So okay, it had a few calories, but still, that's all I had. Not sure if I would ever be brave enough to go for 10 days. Are you following a specific program?
  • reaching4myUGW
    reaching4myUGW Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No program. Just a water fast. I mix my water with a crystal light that has caffeine. Peach mango is my fave. And then at night I do a lax tea. The same one that is used in the Master Cleanse. I tried the master cleanse before but I didn't love the lemonade mixture and I couldn't do the salt water flush so I felt like I was doing it wrong and I think only lasted 2 days. The longest water fast I have been able to go was 4 1/5 days and I lost 9lbs! That was just in April. I'm not sure I can last 10 days, I will just listen to my body and go as long as I can! But great job on your weight loss, it looks like you know what works for you! :)
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    You lost me at the crystal light :( Plain water would be better for you.

I'm going to start a juice fast tomorrow and see how long I can go.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    10 days with no food??

Not to rain on your parade but you will gain all the weight you lose back as soon as you start eating again. Maybe more.

speaking from experience.

but if it's a temporary thing just for your son's bday and your job then go ahead
  • RahmaB823
    RahmaB823 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For 2 weeks I have been a wayward child haha. Weight has gone up and down... but surprisingly I'm only .6 lbs up from 2 weeks ago. I'm okay with that bc I have been very bad. But today I woke up with my game face on! I sought out some much needed motivation. (videos of fasting on YouTube... not sure why that helps me but it does) Starting today I am shooting for a 10 day fast! In 12 days I start my new job (climbing the corporate ladder) and I would like to be a little smaller. And in 17 days my son turns 1!!! I'm sure all of you don't really care about my rambling bc we are mostly here for ourselves.... But I thought maybe my motivation on this dreary Thursday might motivate someone else! Good Luck everyone! Stay strong!

My daughter turns one in 8 days and I'm currently fasting. I do intermittent fasting and it's so easy to me considering I'm chasing a 2 year old and an 11 month old. Good luck!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am in the beginning stages of a 30 day fast (no food or water)... but it is for religious reasons. AND I do eat food everyday before sunrise and after sunset.

I would NEVER do this for purposes of weight loss. My main reason is because of the loss of muscle mass.... not worth it to me.
  • brendddda
    brendddda Posts: 33
    Options
    You are slowing your metabolism down which will actually make it harder for you to lose weight. The weight you lose will be water weight, and it will all come back as soon as you start eating again. If you lose anything other than water, you're going to lose your lean muscle.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You do realize that with a 10 day fast you won't lose fat right? Just water... and then gain weight back?
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Check out juice fasting! Still get nutrients, definitely low calories and it help recharge your system. I do try to fast for 24 hours once a month. Its usually after a really bad day or I feel that I am craving too much fats. Helps me recharge my taste buds!
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    10 days with no food??

Not to rain on your parade but you will gain all the weight you lose back as soon as you start eating again. Maybe more.

speaking from experience.

but if it's a temporary thing just for your son's bday and your job then go ahead
    ^^ This.

If you're into fasting, have you ever considered intermittent fasting? I think it would be a healthier alternative to what you're proposing. There are lots of programs for intermittent fasting (here is a good FAQ: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/599982-intermittent-fasting-faq), but the one that I've been doing for quite some time is where I fast 16-18 hours each day and eat all of my calories in a 6-8 hour window.

I like it from a lifestyle perspective (I'm just maintaining my weight) but I've read that many follow it as it helps them manage their calories more effectively. Just a thought.
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    why? why? do people fast for 'weight loss" smh that is so so dumb.Im sorry but like pp stated youll only be losing water weight and potentially putting your health and life at risk! Other than for religious purposes,fasting is horrible!
  • reaching4myUGW
    Options
    Wow. There are far too many negative comments to reply individually... So here is my blanket response to those saying "I will gain it back" "Its just water weight" etc... I've lost weight and kept it off from every fast I've done. I've lost 23lbs so far from fasting and IF. Of coarse coming off a fast I gain 1-2 lbs but that usually comes off in a week. Also keep in mind everyone has their own tricks or own way of getting to where they need to be. Obviously fasting is not a lifestyle. I do a fast then I diet and exercise. I'm cycling until I reach my goal weight. I'm able to maintain when off the fast. I know people have strong feelings about fasting... I guess I should have thought about that before posting...

Thanks for the support all! haha
  • reaching4myUGW
    Options

My daughter turns one in 8 days and I'm currently fasting. I do intermittent fasting and it's so easy to me considering I'm chasing a 2 year old and an 11 month old. Good luck!

I cycle between full on fasting, IF and diet and exercise. But I know what you mean about chasing little ones. I've have to break down on a couple of fast because I was feeling to weak with my son. But good luck to you! And happy birthday to your little one :)
  • reaching4myUGW
    Options
    I am in the beginning stages of a 30 day fast (no food or water)... but it is for religious reasons. AND I do eat food everyday before sunrise and after sunset.

I would NEVER do this for purposes of weight loss. My main reason is because of the loss of muscle mass.... not worth it to me.

That is awesome! Good luck to you!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    IF is one thing. No food for 10 days is another. You complained about the negative responses but they are right. It is bad for you and thats all there is to it.
  • reaching4myUGW
    Options
    Check out juice fasting! Still get nutrients, definitely low calories and it help recharge your system. I do try to fast for 24 hours once a month. Its usually after a really bad day or I feel that I am craving too much fats. Helps me recharge my taste buds!

I would love to do a long juice fast! I was totally motivated after watching, "Fat, sick and nearly Dead". But juice fasting is expensive! I resorted to Intermittent Fasting, but I sometimes spiral when I do IF. So that is what led me to water fasting. It seems to work for me, but it is not as easy as I would think the juicing would be...
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is extremely sad to see. Fasting in the long run will hurt your organs and possibly mess up your electrolytes / hydration. Speaking from experience, I've been in the hospital with my heart only beating 26 times a minute, extremely low potassium, and severe dehydration. Please rethink what you're doing--it's not safe and if you want to lose weight, my goodness, do it the right way instead of hurting your body. You may think you're invincible, but you're not.

I urge you to tell your doctor what you're doing and see what he/she says about it. Your body needs nutrients to run and water will not suffice, nor will Crystal Light packages in your water..

I've come very close to death multiple times due to my eating disorder, and this sounds extremely disordered from reading this thread. FASTING IS BAD. Intermittent fasting, I can understand that, but going 10 days without food and only water purely for weight loss reasons is moronic!

I may sound crass or harsh here, but it's because I'm concerned for your health. Look up the negative effects fasting and malnutrition has on your body.
  • hll2465
    hll2465 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could obtain the same results just with watching your calories and exercising regularly? I am just curious...
  • reaching4myUGW
    Options
    First let me say I do not have an eating disorder. A few lbs ago I was considered Overweight. There is a healthy way to fast and it can be very beneficial providing you are not underweight and/or have any health conditions.

This post clearly was a mistake to put out on here bc people have such strong feeling about it. And I'm pretty sure 95% of the people with strong feelings have never researched fasting.

Please stop posting on this thread.
  • Oooberstank
    Options
    You obviously don't know anything about health & fitness if you are doing a water cleanse. Depriving your body of the nutrients it needs on a daily basis. Waste of time. Water cleanses' are for lazy people who are too lazy to put in the work to make a body/ life style change. But hey, good luck with your goals. Don't forget to take your vitamins & some kind of medication prescribed from a professional shrink. Because you are clearly crazy and not in your right mind.