Late morning hunger (more like starvation!)

Options

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    by 10:00 i'm hungry so i have a snack because i'm hungry. my snack is either yogurt, string cheese, fruit, granola bar or nuts. if i let my stomach continue to growl at me until lunchtime i would devour my lunch so fast i wouldn't even realize i ate it. if you're hungry have a snack. there's no reason to wait until "lunchtime" to eat something. those old rules are gone.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    To carpetm - I sit at a desk all day and ALWAYS get hungry (to distraction between 10:30-11:30 a.m. I gained a lot of weight by eating the cakes etc in the employee lounge down the hall... but now I'm doing great by planning ahead. First, I plan to eat a snack at my desk every morning at this time, when I am hungry. I have snacks ready - either 100 cal worth of Kangaroo multigrain pita chips (to fulfill my crunchy-salty-carb craving) or pre-cut watermelon, blueberries, strawberries or banana (if I crave something sweet). Or I dip mini pretzels into 2 TBLS of reduced fat skippy which I keep in my desk at all times. Hope this helps.

FYI I hear you on the cakes and snacks at the office issue. I've been told I'm "too skinny" and can "afford a piece" time and time again so I started telling people I have a sugar issue and CAN'T have it. IT'S THE ONLY WAY THEY LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    I just starting intermittent fasting because I was suffering the same thing. Didn't matter if I ate 100 or 300 calories at 7AM, by 9:30-10:30 I would be ravenous. I just started skipping breakfast because I wasn't really hungry when I woke up, and the late morning hunger went away on it's own.

I'm not sure if this would work for you (I'd recommend researching before just doing this, please please please I am not a health professional AT ALL haha), but that's what cured it for me.

I have studied nutrition a bit, and for most people, this will not work. Your body needs fuel in the morning to start the metabolism... the reason not eating cured your mid-morning hunger is because you stalled your metabolism... your body thinks you're starving and is probably storing everything as fat. You may be losing weight, but imaging how much more efficient it would be if you were eating properly :). Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day (including breakfast) will increase your metabolism, causing you to burn fat faster. Yes, you'll be hungry more often, but carry some almonds or a piece of fruit. I pre-plan and pack all my meals and take them to work with me. I also have a can of almonds in my desk if I start getting hungry... a handful will cure any hunger pains. :)

Where did you study nutrition?

I took classes on weight lifting, aeorobic dance, health, nutrition science, etc. in college... I have always wanted to be a nutritionist, so I took 5 or 6 (can't remember exactly) classes so I could see if I wanted to switch my major. I have done quite a bit of extensive research over the years and I have several friends who are nutritionists and personal trainers. I am by no means an expert... I was just giving some advice, which is the point of these forums, is it not? :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Any tips for coping with an 11:00 hunger pang while at work?? I am trying to just "deal" with the hunger sensation, but at times it's too much to bear. I've been trying to keep it down to a 100 cal protein shake between 8am-1pm, but around 11 like clockwork, I get so hungry it makes me feel light headed. I've been resorting to the pretzels in my boss's office!!

Oh and PS...water DOES NOT HELP!!!!

What's funny is that on the weekends especially when I'm not on any kind of schedule, I can go quite a while without a meal and it doesn't bother me. Who knows, maybe it's all mental and I just get bored at work too often.

This whole issue could be resolved with a new job :laugh:

Anyway, has anyone discovered the secret to this phenomenon?? All/any tips are appreciated!!

Theresa

Do you eat lunch?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    SO MY PROBLEM IS I WORK OVERNIGHT....IM REAL CONFUSED ON HOW TO EAT HEALTHY WHEN I MOSTLY SLEEP DURING THE DAY(EXCEPT DAYS OFF) AND WORK OERNIGHT WHAT SHOULD MY EATIN SCHEDULE BE? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP....

Eat as often as you would eat if you worked day times. This isn't rocket science.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight. Between 8am and 1pm, all you consume is 100 calories? Do you eat anything before 8am, or is it that you are going a full night and all morning without anything but your shake?

Edited to add: You note that without a schedule, you can go quite a while between meals. Are you intentionally fasting?

Full night into morning with just the shake. I do that b/c I'm not much of a "breakfast" person anyway. I like to save my calories for lunch and dinner, especially after a good workout.

I'm not intentionally fasting, but I guess my point is the whole thing is mental. For instance on Saturday, I worked out in the AM, cleaned the house, and went to look at a car on no more than like 300 cal until I had dinner around 5:00. I was completely fine and distracted by my activities, I didn't feel hungry (at least not that I couldn't deal with).

Bottom line = I don't want to eat out of boredom, yet I don't want to starve myself, either. Trying to keep it at 1,200 cal all day.
    I'm glad you answered those questions.

So if the problem isn't really hunger but boredom, then the solution is finding something to occupy your mind, yes?

If you are hungry, eat. If not, don't eat. It doesn't matter when you consume your calories. Lots of people consume their full day's calories in a few hours window. (I can't do this without getting light-headed and grumpy, but it's perfectly fine if it doesn't bother you).

Was this post really about you just wanting a different job?

If staying at your current job and just need a distraction, have you considered chewing gum? What about doing pushups at your desk? I get the whole "eating out of boredom" thing. I get up and walk around, and drink tons of water.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you're really hungry (and not just bored :smile:) eat! You only have a protein shake between 8-1? I'd be starving too!! Bring food with you to work and eat when you're hungry. I eat several small meals throughout the day--as long as you make healthy food choices you probably won't go over on calories.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a heartier protein shake? Add some fiber to it like flax and chia seeds low cal and low fat but, will help keep you full longer. Also, maybe an apple and a piece of string cheese at 1100am so, you have something to look forward to and maybe you won't become stressed over the 1100am hunger. More fiber really does help me as I am like you I could eat all day long at work but, at home I am very satisfied with smaller meals on the weekends. A little more fiber and good fat like coconut oil will help to keep you full longer. And then eat a nice lunch. Best of luck!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I just starting intermittent fasting because I was suffering the same thing. Didn't matter if I ate 100 or 300 calories at 7AM, by 9:30-10:30 I would be ravenous. I just started skipping breakfast because I wasn't really hungry when I woke up, and the late morning hunger went away on it's own.

I'm not sure if this would work for you (I'd recommend researching before just doing this, please please please I am not a health professional AT ALL haha), but that's what cured it for me.

I have studied nutrition a bit, and for most people, this will not work. Your body needs fuel in the morning to start the metabolism... the reason not eating cured your mid-morning hunger is because you stalled your metabolism... your body thinks you're starving and is probably storing everything as fat. You may be losing weight, but imaging how much more efficient it would be if you were eating properly :). Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day (including breakfast) will increase your metabolism, causing you to burn fat faster. Yes, you'll be hungry more often, but carry some almonds or a piece of fruit. I pre-plan and pack all my meals and take them to work with me. I also have a can of almonds in my desk if I start getting hungry... a handful will cure any hunger pains. :)

I took classes on weight lifting, aeorobic dance, health, nutrition science, etc. in college... I have always wanted to be a nutritionist, so I took 5 or 6 (can't remember exactly) classes so I could see if I wanted to switch my major. I have done quite a bit of extensive research over the years and I have several friends who are nutritionists and personal trainers. I am by no means an expert... I was just giving some advice, which is the point of these forums, is it not? :)

I wish people would give no advice rather than poor advice if they have no idea what they are talking about.
  • bartmo
    bartmo Posts: 5
    Options
    Something high in protein might help. Almonds or walnuts or a little peanut butter on a cracker.
    Others have noted that not eating will slow down metabolism because your brain thinks you are starving and needs to preserve its energy stores. I guess that's why it's important to eat small meals (eg., snacks) throughout the day. Something to do with leptin I think.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    When I am that hungry I eat. I eat a granola bar so I can last an extra 2 hours. Nothing wrong with eating pretzels either. Just adjust your food later to compensate or go for a 15 min fast walk to burn it off so you even out. Either way listen to your body and do what works for you not someone else. Obviously waiting to eat is not working so add a snack in and adjust. Me I usually don't eat until 9 because if I eat at 4am when I wake up I am hungry all day. It plays with my glucose levels. Usually I have a granola bar only which gets me through until 12pm. But that works for me. What works for you?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Bottom line = I don't want to eat out of boredom, yet I don't want to starve myself, either. Trying to keep it at 1,200 cal all day.

1200 net or gross? Let me guess... gross.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    You should be eating far more than 100 calories between 8 am to 1 pm. That is the main issue. Try having a well rounded breakfast and that should help your light headed feeling as well as your hunger pangs. Most days I have some greek yogurt with fruit and nuts and I sprinkle flax seed on top. Other people enjoy eggs or hearty oatmeal as well. I keep my breakfasts between 250-300 calories but they are always filling and healthy. Hope your issue gets resolved!
  • Melissa_H_39
    Melissa_H_39 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you should have a snack around 10:30 to 11:00 before you get to the starved feeling. A snack of raw fruit prepared at home is a very low cal and healthy way to keep your body from feeling deprived and going into the phase of starvation mode where it will store all the calories to prepare for these times. Starving yourself is the worst thing you can do. If you are feeling this way you are actually hurting you diet. You can loose more easily if you consume several small meals a day or at least 3 healthy meals ( 200 to 400 cal) with at least a small healthy snack (under 120 cal) in between meals.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

I wish people would give no advice rather than poor advice if they have no idea what they are talking about.

The reason this happens is because your levels (I am sorry but I can’t remember the verbiage, too much for my brain to hanlde) are at their highest in the morning and they get the lowest at night like 20 something in the morning at only 4 at night. So if you have low body fat and eat something early in the morning your levels spike and cause you to gorge and be hungry an hour later. I have tried strictly protein in the morning too to rule out “it’s the carbs” and it makes it worse for me. This happens again to mostly people with low body fat. I can’t find the article about it anymore… erg. This doesn't happen to the average Joe. I didn't take any classes but I researched it because this was a constant battle and if I ate too early and alot my levels would spike and then I was gorging all day. If I wait until 9 to have a bar that is low cal and not alot... my levels are not as high, it’s a light snack, and I don't gorge. Easy and simple. Maybe someone has the link to the article I was talking about on this board. But regardless of how many “classes” or “articles” anyone has taken me included, this is how my body reacts to eating in the morning and I am at around 16.4% body fat. So I skip breakfast.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I recommend eating.

^ this

OR excersize more so that you can eat more if you are worried about calories.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

1200 net or gross? Let me guess... gross.

I'm working under that same assumption.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My go to snack for situations like this is a hardboiled egg. I don't know what it is, but it fills me up instantly and I'm good to go!

I suspect it's satiation from the protein and fat (which is why a snack like this is such an obviously good idea).

As for OP, (although I'm sure at least a dozen others have said it in the three pages I haven't read yet), the solution to this problem is to eat.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight. Between 8am and 1pm, all you consume is 100 calories? Do you eat anything before 8am, or is it that you are going a full night and all morning without anything but your shake?

Edited to add: You note that without a schedule, you can go quite a while between meals. Are you intentionally fasting?

Full night into morning with just the shake. I do that b/c I'm not much of a "breakfast" person anyway. I like to save my calories for lunch and dinner, especially after a good workout.

I'm not intentionally fasting, but I guess my point is the whole thing is mental. For instance on Saturday, I worked out in the AM, cleaned the house, and went to look at a car on no more than like 300 cal until I had dinner around 5:00. I was completely fine and distracted by my activities, I didn't feel hungry (at least not that I couldn't deal with).

Okay but you need to take a step back and look at your situation realistically. You're trying to get through (let's say) 14 hours on 100 calories. You are focusing really hard on disciplining yourself to not to want to eat, when you SHOULD be eating, and for a reason I can't really understand. For one, your diet is already very low calorie (1200). Furthermore, you're trying to pidgeonhole your body into rules for when you are allowing yourself to eat. But you're asking for advice on how to trick your body into not feeling legitimately hungry. Drugs, I guess.

Eating too little, and too infrequently, is not a healthy habit. If you don't like breakfast, then don't eat it. Eat when you're hungry. Would you rather do a 10:30am "brunch" kind of deal? Then do that. The timing of your meals is going to have no effect on your fitness goals.

Any by the way, you can't boost your metabolism or slow it down in the course of a day based on what you eat, or when you eat. But if you eat too little for too long, you can slow down your metabolic rate considerably. I suggest not using any "starvation" or "deprivation" methods. Losing weight doesn't have to mean being hungry. If it does, it's not a sustainable plan.
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is also my eating schedule. I learned this fact with Tom Venuto, a professional body builder and fitness trainer. I always have more protein in my meal for breakfast as well. It helps you stay full longer and I never get hungry. I have also stayed under my calorie limit and that helps the weight fall off.

I would definitely eat breakfast though, after all you have already went at least 8-10 hrs without food or drink. Your body knows best and its telling you to eat, so do it. Good luck.
    My eating schedule is:
    breakfast: 7:30am
    snack: 10am
    lunch: 12-12:30pm
    snack: 2:30-3pm
    dinner: 5:30-6pm
    snack: 8pm

never hungry... eat small meals... keeps the metabolism going and keeps you feeling satisfied all the time.