Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar Sweets, specifically chocolate truffle
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    GNC Lean 25 fo sho. Both the rich chocolate and the vanilla are amazeballs. I sometimes do one scoop of each for a nice mix. It's expensive, but it's delicious and a pretty good amount of protein (25 grams for two scoops). It's pretty popular, so it's usually buy one, get one half off.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bio Whey by PFC is awesome! We use it at my smoothie shop. :)
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i've tried many different protein shakes. The best is GNC AMP- Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I mix mine with Lactaid milk. it tastes GREAT. no chalky taste. I've only bought the vanilla, chocolate and cookies 'n cream flavor. . . actually i bought the fruit punch flavor; but it was NASTY. GNC also has a policy that if you buy their store brand items and don't like it after trying it, you may return it to the store. the best thing about it are the nutritional facts. high protein, low fat, low sugar, low carbs. i only use one scoop at a time.

I want to try this but DAMN it's expensive!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MostlyHealthyMomma
    MostlyHealthyMomma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use Apex Vanilla Lite.. I haven't tried anything else though. I loved it even when I was just mixing with water and ice. Now I mix it with Silk Original Almond Milk and I LOVE it. So yummy :)

1 scoop 190 calories, 0g Sodium, 0g Cholesterol, 3g Fat, 20g Protein, 25g Carbs, 7g Fiber, 2g Sugar

It's higher on carbs and protein than some I've seen, but I'm not doing "low carb"- I'm just trying to be balanced.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ON Cookies and Cream is good and I just got ON Mint Chocolate (it's ok).
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Natures best Isopure zero carb whey protein. Right now I have the banana cream and it's good. I only mix it with water and it still goes down good.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've had unflavoured whey protein today for first time and you know what it tastes fine without any flavours... I can't understand the need for any flavours. Just goes to show imo how so many people are addicted to sweet tasting things. I've hated the 3 sickly sweet ones I got before with a passion but used them as they're expensive, but now that I've gone for the real stuff I don't ever plan to try another artificially sweetened vile flavour one again once I finish off the remains of my existing ones!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different taste buds and what tastes good to them may not taste good to you. Unfortunately with protein powders, you may have to keep trying different ones. Often times, you can get sample packets for $1-3 depending where you go!
  • singingsoprano
    singingsoprano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you tried returning the nasty stuff, betcha you could get them to take it back.
    I have not had good luck with protein powders over the years. The chalky taste, the heavy feeling after I drink them, etc.

Since every seems to be drinking protein shakes these days, maybe the powders have improved! I tried again! I ordered Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard in French Vanilla Creme. Blech! Vanilla flavored chalk! I can barely get it down, even mixed heavily with fruit.

*kitten*'s expensive. Instead of blindly trying another flavor, I thought I would ask you guys.

So,

1) do you actually like the protein shake you are drinking?

2) If yes, what brand/flavor is it and do you mix it with anything? Also, what brands/types have you tried and hated?

I don't really care much about the properties of various protein shakes (type of protein, other stuff in it) so much as that it's PALATABLE and not chocolate flavored. Vanilla, coffee, citrus are all flavorings that I would like.

Thanks!
  • tru2rt
    tru2rt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think you first have to make a decision why you are drinking the protein shakes. There are so many protein shakes on the market and so many people have tried different ones that YOU have to determine what is best for you. I personally look at what nutrients, vitamins and extras are in the shakes. Do you want a shake that has no or little nutrients to it such as Walmart, or do you want a shake that has lots of nutrients and vitamins so you don't have to take extra pills. I have tried numerous protein shakes and the reason why i drink the shakes is to add nutrients and vitamins that I am not getting from my food intake and here is what I have found:

Walmart protein powder is just plain nasty. The only thing you get out of walmart protein is the water or milk you use in it. 30 minutes after drinking the shake i noticed that I was completely starving.

GNC protein powder is ok in french vanilla but again 30 minutes after drinking it I was starving!

Complete Nutrition power is ok too in french vanilla but gain 30 minutes after drinking it I was starving!

Shakeology from Beachbody - this has been my lifesaver! I put one scoop of the shakeology in a blender, some ice cubes, 1 tsp of natural peanut butter and 1 cup of almond milk and it takes wonderful! To me it tastes like a reeses peanut butter cup! It has 70+ super foods in the shakes, it supplies me with my daily priobotic (really helps with my IBS issues), vitamins and nutrients, and the best part is my stomach is not growling at 9:00 am.! I acutally have to force myself to eat my yogurt at 10:00 am. for snack. I am able to completely replace one meal a day with a shakeology. My favorite flavor is chocolate because I can mix it up which ever way I like it, with orange juice, frozen fruit, coffee, etc......It does come in Vegan Tropical Strawberry, Vegan Chocolate, and the regular chocolate flavor.

I know everyone has their own opinion which is why I am posting my opinion on what i like. I battled with IBS for 15 years and it was the most miserable thing i have ever been through, but I am thankful that a very good friend of mine introduced it to me. I no longer suffer from IBS and can actually feel normal again.

Whatever you choose make sure it is something that you like and it has what you need for your fitness journey.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've had unflavoured whey protein today for first time and you know what it tastes fine without any flavours... I can't understand the need for any flavours. Just goes to show imo how so many people are addicted to sweet tasting things. I've hated the 3 sickly sweet ones I got before with a passion but used them as they're expensive, but now that I've gone for the real stuff I don't ever plan to try another artificially sweetened vile flavour one again once I finish off the remains of my existing ones!

I wondered if unflavored even existed...where do they sell it or what brand is it??
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    i've tried many different protein shakes. The best is GNC AMP- Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I mix mine with Lactaid milk. it tastes GREAT. no chalky taste. I've only bought the vanilla, chocolate and cookies 'n cream flavor. . . actually i bought the fruit punch flavor; but it was NASTY. GNC also has a policy that if you buy their store brand items and don't like it after trying it, you may return it to the store. the best thing about it are the nutritional facts. high protein, low fat, low sugar, low carbs. i only use one scoop at a time.

This is actually on sale right now. You can get a 7 day supply (3 scoops) or 21 day supply (1 scoop) for $29.99 right now.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Out of the all the vanillas I've tried I only like the eas whey protein powder I can blend it with anything too.
  • KLynnBear
    KLynnBear Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really like Jay Robb whey protein powders. They seem to mix better and the strawberry is good with almond milk!
  • superfitconball
    superfitconball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Some more speciality stores will let you sample powders before buying. They might be a bit more expensive to try, but would be worth it to find something you like.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options

This is actually on sale right now. You can get a 7 day supply (3 scoops) or 21 day supply (1 scoop) for $29.99 right now.

Wow, that is so expensive...I usually use 2 scoops of protein powder a day (60g of protein), so I'd be spending almost $50 a month on protein. That's less than 1.5lbs for $30, it's twice as expensive as Optimum Nutrition and 3x more than Body Fortress.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    vanilla generally tastes like s**t on its own, but if you have a lot to use up blend with milk, espresso and ice and it makes a delicious healthy frappucino :-)
    otherwise chocolate is generally the best tasting whichever brand you get.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you mix it with. Water is just nasty. For me, milk is the way to go.
    I like Pure Protein. It's available at Target. Since you don't want chocolate, I'd still avoid vanilla.
    Get Pure Protein Cookies N' Creme http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/products.aspx?sku=016715