Do I NEED To Join A Gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love the Gym!!! It is my "selfish" time no kids, no wife, No distractions. I hit the gym 4-5 days a week. Then Do TaeKwonDo 2 days a weeks. I have worked out a deal with my local gym that I shovel snow in the winter and work on the computers when they go down, for a reduced rate. I just don't have the room to do a workout DVD at home. I want to try P90x BAD but just don't have the room.
  • SixPackSammy
    Options
    I have never been a member of a gym.....I get my excercise on my own, either through the work I do...or my own workout schedule. Much cheaper that way...and I find that it is very effective...
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10 a month. It's limited to machines, cable and free weights but it's totally worth it, if you are close to one.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    No, you don’t need to join a gym. I lost the majority of my weight without a gym membership. Body weight exercises, running, cycling were my primary forms of exercise. Really, if weight loss is your goal you want to spend money on a food scale and food storage as 80% of weight loss and being healthy is nutrition. But if want to talk about exercise we can do that.

Eventually we got a membership to the YMCA. We really enjoyed it as a family and feel that we get excellent value from our membership dues (indoor/outdoor/family/lap pools, indoor track, machines, classes, free weights, leagues, list goes on and on)

However, we recently moved and the YMCA has become less convenient to the point that it’s not worth paying the dues. There are closer gyms but they charge same money if not more for half the stuff. We’re paid for 2 more months but then it’s back to being creative. As you might tell from the screen name I like the outdoors and can find lots of things to do to keep the heart rate up…even in the winter.

I would like to continue lifting heavy as I feel its health benefits are something I don’t want to give up. Which is why, once the boxes are emptied from the garage and I get my power tools out, I’m going to build this:

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

And get the rest of the free weights from second hand stores and other websites. There a lots of ways to do things. It’s good start by creating a thread like this. Just be creative and make it fun.
  • nickmast78
    nickmast78 Posts: 65
    Options
    Not all gyms are expensive. I pay about $12.50 a month for where I go. I'm sure you could find it somewhere in your budget to cut out 15 or so dollars a month.

This coming from an unemployed father of 2!
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I had a gym membership before for a year and a half and used it ONCE. It was so hard with work and kids the prime time I would find to go would be when everyone else was going at work. I go for walk/runs around my neighborhood. I also just bought multiple workout videos. There are all different kinds depending on what you enjoy. Most of my videos I got from Target without spending a ton of money. If you have Netflix there are videos on there also.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Im a gym owner and I workout at home..go figure! Do what YOU need to do to get it done! :smile:
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I really want to get back into my fitness program (have 60 LBs to lose) but I'm very hesitant to join a gym, mostly because of the cost. Is it possible to get the same types of workouts/results by working out at home?

I'd like to hear both the pro's and con's. Do you workout at a gym or at home? if at home, what types of exercises do you do? If at a gym, whats the benefit versus working out at home in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond :)

Try P90-X or Insanity - you can get either for the cost of one month at a gym.
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    if your single and can afford a gym why not.
    its social with all the classes they have to offer and you get to meet work out buddies.

if you have a family with kids yea they have daycares but just the getting everyone ready and getting to the gym is a workout lol
    i have twins that are 2 1/2 and it takes forever to get ready to go somewhere. and i really dont care about the daycares they have to offer. so i work out at home..

work out dvds i have are

jillian michael's 30dayshred which was like 10 bucks at walmart
    also have beachbody insanity and turbo jam and recently got turbo jam elite..
    i really love just working out at home and letting the twins do their thing
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I still do both. I have my weights and stuff at home but I don't have a treadmill, so on the days I need to do HIIT I have to go to the gym.

One thing about me is that once I am at the gym, I go all out and always manage to stick through the entire workout without interruption. When I'm at home, the phone will ring or the kids will barge through the door so I don't always manage the fully focused workout I get at the gym.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Done both:

I personally enjoy working at home because:

*I feel I can work out better, harder, longer (because I am self conscience, some may not be)
    *The cost is not there in membership
    *It is convenient because I am already there, no driving, babysitter, ect. (10 hr work days, who wants to watch kids longer and drive to a gym, but thats me).
    *Anytime I want to I can work out

Have to find what works for you and that will turn into true success.:bigsmile:
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's 100% a personal preference. Working out is working out - location doesn't make a difference.

I dropped 60 lbs at home by walking 3 miles a day and doing the 30-day Shred (Jillian Michaels DVD). From there I moved on to P90X and other programs. Over the course of about 7 years, I gathered enough equipment to have a pretty decent home gym. You don't have to start out with much, honestly. And if you go with a program like P90X or Insanity, the equipment comes with it. Bodyrock.tv is a great site that uses minimal equiment and it's free.

I'm not a huge fan of gyms. I like to focus when I work out, not be bothered by other people. I don't like to be watched. I work out on my time, when it's convenient, not when classes are offered. Plus the closest gym to me is 30 minutes away - I would blow off SO many workouts knowing I'd have to factor in an hour round trip in addition to my workout and shower time! Working out at home has been ideal for me, and I've gotten amazing results. I've hit my goal weight and got incredibly toned in the process.
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Me and my mother look really similar so I used to use her gym pass to get in rather than pay as its too expensive but tbh I hated it. Far too hot, crowded, smelly,full of meat head men, queues for all equipment, dirty pigs who wouldnt clean their sweat off kit, inconvenient hours, people who sing out loud while doing their thing (I cant wear ear phones due to hearing damage), people who grunt all the time etc etc and I was supposed to be paying £40 a month for that ($80!)

Ill not be going back to a gym. I have an exercise bike, skipping rope, dumbbells, a staircase, dvds and pilates type kit ... and if im too hot here I can just wear underwear, can stop whenever and not lose my spot, dont have to lock valuables away, can watch the tv, any time I want I can do some and in total ive spent less than 2 months gym membership on kit so far!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have done both, the one thing I didn't like about the gym was having to go out and get there...then having to come home. I bought a set of bands, a total gym, I have a few exercise videos and have been watching some on you tube. I plan on getting either an elliptical or a treadmill at some point. I take my dog for a walk and work around the house. I look on craigslist for the exercise equipment and actually found my total gym for only $25.00 and it is like brand new. Good luck with what ever you decide.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that's it's personal preference!

For me, I knew I would not get my butt in gear unless I had a separate place to exercise, and had invested financially. I hate "throwing" away money, so I knew it would work for me.

My apartment is really small and unorganized, and I didn't like the idea of jumping/running around outside when I was at my heaviest (40lbs ago!). I needed a clean, quiet, dedicated room for exercise and my gym was it.

I live in a rural area so it was pretty cheap, $50 for 50 passes, expiring in 1 year. Also it's 5 minutes away from my house, 2miles if I wanted to walk there.

Once I got going at the gym, using the Couch to 5k running app and doing circuits on the machines, I became addicted to the endorphin high, and made it a regular part of my schedule. Then I felt more athletic and more comfortable to run outside and be more active around friends.

Again my gym may be an anomaly...because I was the youngest person by far in a gym usually occupied by the elderly. So I felt awesome running at 5mph next to some older ladies walking and talking at 3mph!
  • chrissy28
    chrissy28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to run and that's how I initially started to lose weight. But I don't really "like" running and found myself getting lazy about going - weather too hot, weather too cold, etc. etc. I visited the gym with a friend to do a class with her and they were having a special rate. I had joined the gym before and never went and so it wasn't worth the monthly rate when I don't use it. But, I decided to take a shot and I was motivated to start going. I think I joined in May and the first couple weeks were tough because I had to work it into my schedule. My monthly rate isn't bad at all for use of all the equipment as well as many classes throughout the day. I love zumba and they offer that throughout the week, great times and great instructors. They also have body pump which I've recently gotten into. Not to mention they have them all over my county and I can go to any of them. So, I wake up early and head to the gym every morning. The problem for me is that if I"m at home, I probably wouldn't work out as intensely then if I'm at the gym around other people working out intensely. When I take a class, I'm going to push through it and not let myself rest or pause the dvd so I can grab some water ;) haha So for me the gym helps with motivation.

But, I do think if you are motivated to do this and not a wimp like me at home, you don't need to join a gym. Get some people to hold you accountable, maybe find some people with similar goals, walking/running buddies (which is how I got into running). I'm sure if you are ready to do this, there will be no stopping you, whether you belong to a gym or not.