Do you bring your babies to the restaurant?

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Last I checked this is America and you can bring your children anywhere but an R rated movie. I might have thought the same way as you before i had kids, but until you have them and know the situation as to why their children are with them, you shouldn't judge. Perhaps there is NO family to care for them and the friggin parent needs a night out. Albeit, I've always kept my kids as quiet as possible when out, stepped outside if I had to and had the most respect I could for others, but we all gotta eat, and kids are a part of us.

If you have the money to go out to a nice restaurant, you have the money to hire a babysitter.
    And then your children never know how to properly behave in public. No thanks.
    Um, maybe stick to McDonalds and Chuck E Cheese until they've mastered behaving in that environment, and then work your way up from there? I'm all for socializing kids and teaching good manners, but you start with places that have kids menus and play areas, not nice seafood restaurants and steakhouses.

- Said the person who had their anniversary dinner at 8pm at a nice seafood restaurant spoiled by the ~3y/o at the next table over randomly shrieking just because.
    Quite honestly I'd prefer my children didn't get used to Chuck E Cheese and McDonalds. We've taken them out since they were very young. And we've had to leave early because of them, I've had to hold them the entire time so they wouldn't scream.
    But now they are very well behaved in public, because we exposed them to it.

I think the worst kids are the ones who DID always have their parents leave them with a sitter.

**that said, I have the good sense NOT to take them to a place where we spend over $20 a plate just yet. Soon though.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We rarely ever go out to eat and never to fancy places. But if we do go out we will go to family friendly joints that have outside seating. We almost always sit outside. But, like I said, very rare!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I would never take my infant to and upscale restaurant if I'm paying $25 just for the entree then that's obviously not an infant friendly place! But, I wouldn't get worked up over it the baby is just doing what it does crying. I think because you don't have children you find it annoying once you have your own trust me you just kind of develop Mama ear filters you can just drown out what you don't wanna hear!! lol

Whether you hear it or not, your screaming child is f***ing annoying.

Look, a well-behaved child in a restaurant is just fine - it's not as though the presence of a child is upsetting. However, the screaming, crying and mess are just a handful of reasons why I don't want kids. Just because you have to suffer through your kids' tantrums doesn't mean I do, especially not in an upscale place catering to adults.

The parents have just as much right to be there as you do. I don't have kids, but I don't get upset at babies being babies. If the kid is five and running around, that's different. But an infant crying--get over it.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Probably gonna get a lot or hate for this but children should be seen and not heard....anywhere

Eurgh, noisy horrid things that hurt my brain and ears with any noise that comes out of their mouths
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

*If you're being a nuisance to everybody else, get your food to go!

Fixed it, because this should go for EVERYONE not just children.... I have been way more annoyed at people talking loudly for the whole restuarant to hear about their drama for their mama problems, than any children fussying and carrying on.

^^This. My husband and I went to a jazz restaurant where a group of adults talked and laughed so loudly it was hard to hear the music. A fussy infant, I can understand. Adults? Unacceptable.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I will not bring my baby to a high class restaurant. In my opinion, if you want to bring your baby out to eat with you, you should go to a child friendly restaurant: that's to say, they have a KIDS menu.

That's really too bad. I think early exposure to adult enviornments (including formal banquets) is what taught my son how to behave so well. I always removed him if he got cranky (out of respect for others AND his little baby discomfort).

Not only that, but kids meals at most places (even the "nicer family friendly" ones like Chilies) are low quality or fried glop.

Seems to me, the real beef is not whether kids should be allowed in swanky restauraunts, but rather, whether poor parents (and ill-mannered patrons) should :wink:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love how some of the replies are about everyone having the "right" to be someplace, as though this supposed "right" excuses bad behavior (whether from an infant/child/adult). Aside from whether or not it's a right to patronize any establishment you want regardless of one's behavior, whatever happened to ***common courtesy***? If I'm trying to enjoy a meal out, which I rarely do because I do not have the funds to go out whenever I want to, I don't want to hear a constantly screaming child anymore than I want to hear a group of adults talking loudly so everyone can hear every bit of their conversation while they also laugh like a pack of hyenas. And I would say that (nearly all of the time) the number of patrons practicing common courtesy outnumber the ones who don't give a f*** because "they're paying too" or "they have a right to be there." Maybe those who have learned manners should drop their courtesy every once in a while and have a word or two with the discourteous.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh at the whole "restrict you restaurant choices to ones with a kids menu"... I'm sorry, but why? My 16 month old (which I have never, nor will I ever, stated that she is an angel... she can most definitely be a hellion) rarely eats off the kids menu... unless there is some fruit involved... she wants to eat what the big people are eating... she pretty much does not like "kid food" and honestly I would like to keep it that way... And I can bring our own crayons and coloring books...

And if it's the atmosphere... any human being can be super annoying in any restaurant setting.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband & I took our kids out at various ages. If they got fussy, we’d take them outside until they calmed down. If they didn’t, we’d ask the server to box up the food & we’d go home. If we hadn’t ordered, we’d just leave. Our kids learned quickly that they needed to behave if they wanted to go to a restaurant.

Even before I had kids what would irritate me the most is when the parents ignore their obviously distressed infant in favor of continuing their meal. Or when they let their toddlers run wild. Really? My boss told me a story about how he & his wife were at a local Mexican restaurant and toddlers were running amok. The parents did absolutely nothing to control them & they kept running by the door to the kitchen where the servers would enter the dining area. Well, they ran by one time right as a waitress was coming out with a tray of sizzling plates of fajitas. The kids damn near tripped her…she lost her hold on the tray & ended up dropping the sizzling plate on another patron. The paramedics had to be called & the poor woman ended up with 2nd degree burns. The waitress was beside herself because of what had happened & the parents…NOTHING. They collected their kids & left.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    1 - Kids scream/cry. You did it when you were a child...It's a fact of life, Get over it. Think of the parents needing to keep the magic in their relationship at all costs...could have been the situation
    2 - Parents allowing the child to continuously cry/scream without attempting to calm them...FAIL.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I brought my daughter everwhere with us. I work full time and I would never leave her to go out to eat. I spent enough time away from her. And If I am paying $25 a plate then they can put up with my child is the way I see it. She never had crying fits however she was good even as an infant and I think in that case I would of brought her outside till she calmed down. But yes I would bring a child to a high class restaurant.

You're not paying the other customers that $25 - they are paying that much per plate too, so it could be turned around to say that they should deserve an enjoyable meal without screaming or squealing.
    Re-read the part about tending to the child IF the situation occurred.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband & I took our kids out at various ages. If they got fussy, we’d take them outside until they calmed down. If they didn’t, we’d ask the server to box up the food & we’d go home. If we hadn’t ordered, we’d just leave. Our kids learned quickly that they needed to behave if they wanted to go to a restaurant.

Even before I had kids what would irritate me the most is when the parents ignore their obviously distressed infant in favor of continuing their meal. Or when they let their toddlers run wild. Really? My boss told me a story about how he & his wife were at a local Mexican restaurant and toddlers were running amok. The parents did absolutely nothing to control them & they kept running by the door to the kitchen where the servers would enter the dining area. Well, they ran by one time right as a waitress was coming out with a tray of sizzling plates of fajitas. The kids damn near tripped her…she lost her hold on the tray & ended up dropping the sizzling plate on another patron. The paramedics had to be called & the poor woman ended up with 2nd degree burns. The waitress was beside herself because of what had happened & the parents…NOTHING. They collected their kids & left.

I agree 100%. Sometimes when he's in a foul mood,
    I'll bring the wooden spoon with us! Just knowing I
    have it keeps him in check.

When he was a baby, he was really good! Then again
    we don't eat at places that charge $25 a plate. Still, I
    don't care if we're at the local hole in the wall Mexican
    restaurant. His *kitten* is planted in his seat, unless he
    needs to get up to use the bathroom. I make sure he
    WALKS!

That story sucks! Some people shouldn't reproduce!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    1 - Kids scream/cry. You did it when you were a child...It's a fact of life, Get over it. Think of the parents needing to keep the magic in their relationship at all costs...could have been the situation
    2 - Parents allowing the child to continuously cry/scream without attempting to calm them...FAIL.

^^ THIS
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    if it's a family restaurant like Pizza Hut or McDonalds I cannot really complain

but not a fancy restaurant
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this... but I have asked for the manager and told him that my dining experience is being ruined and I have no intention of paying $60 for two of us to eat at Chucky Cheeses. He needs to ask them to quiet the child down or take he/she outside until he/she has quieted down or I will leave and not pay.

Makes the manager uncomfortable, but there are people who don't have any manners at all.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Regardless of my child's volume or the value of the meal, if the child is misbehaving or crying I will attempt to resolve the issue. If that isn't possible, I leave the restaurant. I would expect others to do with their own children.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think it's cute that you think you won't take your baby to place like that one day.

Everyone makes "rules" for their future babies.

And then they have a baby.

hahaha
    so true, like i would never be "those people" welp, walking through publix this morning i am sure some heads turned.

I am really conscious over her behaving in waiting rooms or out to eat, lots of times dinner for me is boxed and eaten at home..
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I have 2 children and for people to say only take them where there is a childrens menu is unfair. My children are great in public they are polite and have never had a problem with them out of control crying. I make sure to have a bottle or a drink for my children and a toy or two to keep them occupied to avoid any meltdowns.
    Long story short its the parents decision if they want to sit theri listening to their child cry and make the rest of the customers listen as well. Unfortunatly some parents have the capability to tune out their children.
    I also find it slightly funny how you say when I have children I will not be taking them to that type of restraunt, chances are youll change your opinion on ALOT of things once you have your own child. Trust me I used to say stuff like that too!

I agree with you!!

Why should kids be limited to the junky 'kids menu'. My children have all been eating out since they were babies, I had someone complain to the management once about my first born in a so called family restaurant, he wasn't crying or screaming just babbling and chuckling, I couldn't believe someone would be so miserable to complain about that.

Sounds like America is as backwards to children eating out as it is in the UK. When we go to countries like Greece and Turkey on holiday everyone eats out, you'll see families out eating together even late at night, it's normal there.

ETA I don't want to leave my kids with babysitters...that carries it's own dangers.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options
    I only brought my baby to family oriented (loud) places. Even then, if he cried I would never ignore him and continue on with dinner. If I couldn't make him stop crying I would walk him around, and have hubby get my food to go and pay the bill. Luckily that only happened once or twice early on.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    The way you describe your experience sounds pretty awful.

However (and I'm not saying this is the case with you) I hate it when a kid is being a kid, and someone is rolling their eyes or sighing or whatever. My children are BEYOND polite and behaved in public. And I'm not sure I remember anyone doing this to us. But I have witnessed a kid be a kid, not overly obnoxious or anything close to that, and someone having a flipping fit about it.

THIS
    A few nights ago we were out, and my son was kicking his feet on the booth. He had no clue, he's a kid. It's what kids do. The woman at the table behind us TOUCHED HIS SHOULDER and said "STOP KICKING THE BOOTH". And spent the rest of the time glaring at us, meanwhile my poor three year old was sitting indian style so he wouldn't accidently kick anymore.

This was at Texas Roadhouse. A place where you can throw peanut shells on the freaking floor.

Haha! At Texas Roadhouse.

One day we went to a late lunch/early dinner, so it was me, my 1.5 year old son, and my husband....and literally 2 other people in the small restaurant. He wasn't being overly obnoxious at all, and I say that truthfully because I am the one who completely stresses out taking him anywhere now that he's 2. But apparently the middle aged lady eating in there as well, didn't want him in her presence. She kept giving us really nasty looks. We got up and went to the outside patio to finish our meal.

She was rude and it was uncalled for.

Like I said, meal time with my 2 year old son is a hit or miss these days. Yesterday, for dinner out, he was perfect (besides saying "ON'T WIKE IT!!!" talking about creme brûlée). Other times, my husband and I take turns of shifts taking him outside. I wouldn't take him to an upscale place at all....however, in a vacation spot, 25$ meals are not necessarily considered "upscale".