Replies

• MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    2hgbho0.jpg
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just out of idle curiosity: has anyone ever thought of going on a DetoZ diet? :glasses:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think the OP was chased away from MFP :cry: But people were being relatively nice with their Dr. Oz bashing....
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Having just read his 2-day detox meal plan: 2 days of eating quinoa, flax seed oil & some prunes sprinkled on top for breakfast, a kale & pineapple smoothie or veggie sticks for lunch, and veggie soup for dinner. I don't understand all the negative reaction to this making him a quack. If anything, it seems like a good step on the right direction toward eating less crap and eating healthful foods.

I'm not claiming that this will detox anyone, or that it's a miracle cure, but jeez...is it really that bad?

Please proceed to unleash all your Dr. Oz hating on me :-)

Ok....you asked for it. :smile: Well, if it doesn't detox anyone, why in the hell would you call it a detox plan....especially after you've proven that they don't work? I'll tell you why....because detoxing is the flavor of the month and coming up with a detox in your name will get your over inflated ego attention in the media, viewers to your TV show and visitors to your website.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    MikeDaMotivator Posts: 1,144
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do anything Dr Oz recommends.

You don't need to cleanse and him being a "doctor" should know that. When fed healthy, whole, fresh foods, lean meats, water and given exercise a body will cleanse itself. That's why we have a liver and kidneys.

Well said.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    MikeDaMotivator Posts: 1,144
    Options
    Just out of idle curiosity: has anyone ever thought of going on a DetoZ diet? :glasses:

I do it once a month. 5 days at the end of every month. All it is raw fruits and veggies and water fro five days. No oils, butters, creams, sugars, or seasonings. Just Fruit and Veggies in its rawest form possible. Its a great booster.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Those are good points! I can why that over marketed hype is annoying and misleading. Too bad since there might actually be some good ideas in there.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The best way to detox is usually rehab. The Betty Ford clinic is very popular if you have the money.

If not THAT sort of detox, then you must mean either Kidney failure or liver failure. Luckily we can regenerate the liver, if its too bad, get a transplant from a family member.

As for the kidney, await an organ donor and do dialysis until then.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Agreed...he's a total sellout!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Was hoping this thread meant there was a way I could avoid seeing any Dr Oz references for 48 hours

Disappointing
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options

You don't need to cleanse and him being a "doctor" should know that. When fed healthy, whole, fresh foods, lean meats, water and given exercise a body will cleanse itself. That's why we have a liver and kidneys.

This. Dr. Oz is a quack.
  • wotews
    wotews Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found a college course on nutrition that, in one of the 36 lectures, discussed the lack of need for detox programs. The professor went on to talk about the effects it has on retaining the needed water in the body, though I am probably doing a poor job of summarizing it.

In all, I think Dr. Oz has many good things to say but the lesson may be that nobody knows it all and can be believed verbatim. The "You! On a Diet" book did quite a bit to explain some of the science to me, so I appreciate Oz for that contribution.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I think Dr. OZ likes to look at alternative things as opposed to tried and true methods. He knows most people will absolutely refuse the Tried And True, and really enjoy they idea of alternative medicine.

So, I think his show is geared more towards that audience.

After all, everyone wants to hear "Drink this chocolate milkshake and suddenly look like Carmen Electra" rather than "If you jog every day, reduce your calories, and change your eating habits, you could lose a good POUND a week!".

Which one would YOU want to hear while sitting on the couch, shoveling a carton of ice cream down your neck.
  • crazysexykoo
    crazysexykoo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to swear by Dr. Oz initially until I started to actually RESEARCH his claims. IMO, he's hit and miss on topics. So, people should be aware that a lot of what he says is inaccurate and exaggerated.

Oprah has managed to once again "manufacture" a celebrity, this time a surgeon into "America's Dr."....it's like with her, whatever Dr. Oz says most be so, NOT!

Don’t just act on his advice, do your homework/research and check with your own doctor.
  • patkterry
    Options
    I just got off Cruise Vaca- the fitness trainers were trying to sell me a seaweed detox system. its was REALLY expensive- so I didnt buy it. It was a bath of seaweed 1x a week for 9 months- cleanse my body of the extra 20 lbs of water surrounding my fat cells...

Anyone know anything about this? Should I try to find a similar product and use it??
    Thanks!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I just got off Cruise Vaca- the fitness trainers were trying to sell me a seaweed detox system. its was REALLY expensive- so I didnt buy it. It was a bath of seaweed 1x a week for 9 months- cleanse my body of the extra 20 lbs of water surrounding my fat cells...

Anyone know anything about this? Should I try to find a similar product and use it??
    Thanks!!!

Good move in not doing it. Don't waste your money on crap like this.