The Starvation Myth

Options

Replies

• Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Weightwatchers don't want you to lose weight, they want you to keep paying =]
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I, personally, believe that starvation mode is utter bull-pucky, unless you've been eating less than 500 calories for several months consistently. People who freak out about their metabolism slowing down drive me nuts...it's like soaking your house in water to prevent fire. Sure, no fire, but now you have mold, lovely.

The entire "starvation mode" myth is moldy as f***
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is no myth. If you eat too little, your body goes in to starvation mode to save itself. Your body will start using muscle for energy as you are not eating enough to keep it going.
    1200 calories is a basic minimum in many experts opinions. As far as eating back calories, if you eat under 1200 exercise or not it tells you here you are not eating enough. If you eat that as a min, and like me tonight still have MANY calories you earned in exercise, it does not say you did not eat enough. These are calories , again in my opinion, that helps your weight loss.
    I used to severly restrict calories to lose weight. Problem is when you go and eat normally, healthy but normally, it immediately converts it to fat to store and use in the future in case it is needed in starvation times.
    Look it up. Starvation mode is real and unhealthy
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Come on people the word starvation mode is taken way out of context around here... No one is comparing anything to starving kids in Africa.... The way most use this term is that if you run to high of a caloric deficit your bodies metabolism slows to a crawl and your weightloss stalls... So in essence your body tries to protect itself aka starvation mode.... Then there is the other side "Eating more to lose weight" this comes in to play when you consume those calories burned during exercise. You have to fuel your body for the workouts you ask of it to do... It is as simple as that...

agreed
  • OnTheReg
    OnTheReg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I, personally, believe that starvation mode is utter bull-pucky, unless you've been eating less than 500 calories for several months consistently. People who freak out about their metabolism slowing down drive me nuts...it's like soaking your house in water to prevent fire. Sure, no fire, but now you have mold, lovely.

Wow bad analogy. So those extra calories I eat are just getting me all moldy up inside and not giving me energy?

It's real, you can't completely stop losing weight but you will slow. It takes a lot less time than several months. Metabolism is controlled by hormones and if you don't get the right nutrition you'll throw everything off, feel like crap and not lose weight as fast.
  • jnewsome62
    jnewsome62 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my only problem with de-bunking the starvation myth is this: what is considered the cut back of calories is different for each of us. For instance if someone cuts theirs back too much then we start getting into danger of an eating disorder. And no matter how badly you want to lose weight is it really worth ruining your health? Let's please not encourage possibility of this disease by saying..."hey- that is a myth -so starve yourself and lose more weight." Losing weight in a healthy way is not going to be super fast or easy. Just be careful what "advice" you give out on a public forum like this.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    You people are confusing the hell out of me........mfp needs a panel of nutritionists to jump in here and unscramble my brains.
    I guess the only real way to loose is trial and error. If one don't work do the other.
  • rubymerryn
    Options
    Sounds like people cry starvation mode in order to justify eating a little more food. In that case, throw out those funny egg whites in a carton and eat an omelette with real eggs. Put some sugar on your porridge or have a handful of nuts instead of going into drama queen mode.

Haha yes.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the starvation mode thing but in my opinion the reason there is so much talk (or questions) about eating back exercise calories back is because I feel like MPF makes it a big deal. It says "oh hey you earned these calories back!!" Personally, I think people use it as an excuse to eat way more than they need to.

Agree with this. Its not the eating back the calories that poses the problem, Its the fact that people (and MFP for me at least) incorrectly calculate the calories they actually burn during exercise and therefore over eat. This coupled with the fact doing a lot of cardio does make you hungry (again it does for me at least) and I find I grossly overeat any calories burned after doing such activities

I said the same thing on another thread and got CRUCIFIED FOR IT. I said most people on MFP greatly overestimate calorie burn.

And I was crucified. THat's why i don't even put down my actual workout because if I see MFP telling me I "earned" more cals to eat..I WILL! So I just don't give myself that option.

Crucifixion sounds painful! Glad you survived it though.

I agree with you. MFP misleads by saying ' you earned 200 calories' then you go and eat 200 when in fact you only burned 50 walking to shop that took 10 mins.

There obviously needs to be common sense but the HR monitors are pretty good, There is also a calculation on the livestrong website that gives much more accuracy and takes into account age, weight and hr etc. Both of which always give me lower values for calories burned than MFP.

I wrote myself an excel spreadsheet based on the livestrong calculation which I now use a lot!

I have a polar FT60 but I rarely use it nowadays. I really could care less how much I burn now. But back when I was wearing it religiously the Ft 60 would tell me I burned 100 calories, the machine would tell me I burned 300!

I am going to guess that most MFP people are relying on what the machines are telling them. If they are it's no surprise why they aren't losing weight.

Another surprising thing is the BETTER I got at exercising the less I burned where I just stopped doing hardly ANY cardio. PERIOD.

When I started running, I'd burn about 100 cals a mile(per my FT60). Now? I am lucky if I burn 50. (although now if I throw it in there every now and then I will see that I might burn 60 or 70 now that I don't run almost every darn day..)

Seeing how i got so darn efficient...I decided to lower my caloric intake.

Sometimes below 1200!!!

Didn't starve.

Lost weight. Built muscle.

Now off to a thread about why cardio is overrated for weightloss...night all!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Wow bad analogy. So those extra calories I eat are just getting me all moldy up inside and not giving me energy?

The extra calories aren't literally molding you but they might be contributing to the metabolism 'damage' no one here speaks of-- metabolic syndrome. There are many reasons to quit *****footing around and get the weight off. Obesity has serious health consequences in most people. It's so popular here to fly the tortoise flag but most dieters won't stick to a diet for years with painfully slow results. The scale has to move or they give up. And that's a dead tortoise who wins no races.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You people are confusing the hell out of me........mfp needs a panel of nutritionists to jump in here and unscramble my brains.
    I guess the only real way to loose is trial and error. If one don't work do the other.

eat less, move more generally works :laugh:
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

eat less, move more generally works :laugh:

Although I've eaten significantly more since joining here and more again this week and I've lost weight and my 10k fell run yesterday for the first time I ran it without needing to walk some of the hills and my legs never tired, its not only my training paying off it was fuelling my body for the first time and giving it enough to run on.

Ultimately everyone is different you need to find what works for you and people who dont have actual knowledge to butt out from giving their opinions to individuals
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    weight watchers does the same thing. You can earn points to eat more, thru exercise. That part of it did not work for me.
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This "written by a nobody next to a shake weight ad" article trumped every article written in scientific journals in the last 40 years, I'm shocked!

You're kidding, right? Did you do any research into who the authors even were?

Dr. Tymoczko is a biochemist, teaches Biochemistry, Oncogenes and Molecular Biology of Cancer, part of Introductory Biology, and a seminar on Exercise Biochemistry. He has recently co-authored the 5th edition of Stryer's Biochemistry, and is currently writing an introductory level biochemistry text. His research interests are in the area of signal transduction.

Jeremy Mark Berg : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_M._Berg
    Lubert Stryer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubert_Stryer

I guess those credentials don't make them very qualified to write a book on similar topics as this, though.
  • ichigo007
    ichigo007 Posts: 97
    Options
    I think the problem everyone is missing about eating back calories is that MFP uses your BMR and minus deficate calories off that. When trully your deficate should be subtracted from your Total Daily Energy Expendenture (TDEE) calories. So because MFP uses BMR your need to eat your calories back from exercise because you are already way under on calories needed before you even started exercising.

BMR calories are like others said is the approx. minimum your body needs to function doing absolutlly nothing all day.

TDEE is your BMR multiplied by your normal activity level per day.

Multiplier = My Description or Alternative Description

1.2 = Desk job with little exercise or Little to no exercise
    1.375 = 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise or Light exercise (1–3 days per week)
    1.55 = 3-5 hrs/wk of moderate exercise or Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week)
    1.725 = 5-6 hrs/wk of strenuous exercise or Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week)
    1.9 = 7-21 hrs/wk of strenuous exercise/work or Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts)

My current BMR is 2280 cal/day
    My current TDEE is 2736 cal/day
    if I want to loss weight of 2 lbs/week my calories based on my TDEE would only be 1736 cal/day but my body needs a minimum 2280 cal/day to function so trully my my healthy cal/day should not go under 2280 cal. Also if I where to exercise My calories eaten should always be my bmr plus my exercise calories to insure that my organs and muscles have enough energy to fuction.

MFP took my BMR of 2280 cal/day and minused 1000 cal/day (2lbs/week) making my goal 1280 cal/day. now if I where to do 1280 calories of work out in 1 day it would put me at 0 cal/day which means I could of just not even eaten that day and acheived the same goal hense why it is a absolute must to eat your exercise calories back.

good site to calculate your BMR, TDEE and daily calorie goal is: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I did say vegetables. The poster intentionally cut that out, because the poster just wants to argue and is, as I said, intentionally being obtuse.
    So you can't come up with an answer about the essential carbohydrate (which doesn't exist) and resort to attacking the person instead.

(Some) Universities may well be teaching that glucose is the only fuel for the brain. They're wrong. Ketones can provide most of it and the rest can be from glucose produced within the body. Hence you don't have to eat any carbohydrates to live.

That's why your brain is the last thing to die (rather than the first), a guy can fast for over a year if he's fat enough, etc etc.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but a lot of people say they never heard of eating back exercise before.

Weight Watchers does this. When I was on their plan, I could earn extra points through exercise. Same concept,
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I watched a youtube diary/vlog thing of a chick who did 40 day fasts 3 times...with very short (I tihnk like a weekish) spaces in between them to lose weight and because she thought fasting would make her feel closer to God (she was very religious). She actually did fine and 6 months later was really healthy, and was pregnant...and eating normally. I kind of wish I had that sort of drive, except then after I would probably regain because I wouldn't have developed better eating habits like I've been trying to do.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    In case I haven't posted it yet on this page, WW 'eating back' is optional and maxes at half your exercise calories. It's a little different from MFP's "eat ALL your exercise calories or risk starvation mode".
    National Institute of Health--

Food Intake and Starvation Induce Metabolic Changes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/

Did you post this as part of the discussion about what brains use for fuel or about starvation? I think they're talking about starvation effects from 0 intake in this article, aren't they?
  • bartmo
    bartmo Posts: 5
    Options
    WebMD.com has an interesting article about "The facts on Leptin", a hormone that is said to give feedback to the brain about the state of the body's fat stores and starvation signals.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-facts-on-leptin-faq