Any LOTR geeks here?

Options

Replies

• courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    At risk of getting mauled to death by a mob of angry geeks I'll say I prefer the movies over the books.

Don't get me wrong, I comprehend the zeitgeist-changing innovations the books brought to fantasy literature, but personally, I can only read a limited number of awfully written hobbit poems in one sitting...

LoL...I enjoy the books, but I almost prefer the movies (and I DID read the books first)...on the one hand (just like the Harry Potter movies), reading the books gives you some background so you might get some things that aren't described very well in the movies....on the other hand, unlike the Harry Potter books, the LOTR series had a LOOOOTTTT of detail. I mean....I love Tolkein, but he would spend a page and a half describing a tree...

I very much agree and I also read the books first. So, are we saying we should publish a "cut & paste" version of the trilogy? Probably less paste and more cut... For those times when I want to read the books again but then realize I don’t really want a geography lesson for my fun-reading-time.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The more I think about it, the real reason I liked the movies was because I wanted to man-hump Viggo Mortensen. He was so... kingly...

He was. But my crush was Sean Bean. That voice...he could read me the phone book and I'd be happy.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Total LOTR geek here.

Read the book several times, (and all the others including farmer Giles of Ham and the Father Christmas Letters) played various computer and pen and paper and board games based upon it. Seen the films lots and have all the formats (just because i couldnt wait!) and still have the Ralph Bakshi version on tape somewhere.

My name online used to be "Witchking" before it became common as muck as every bugger had seen the films.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Me Me Me!!!!! LOVE me some LOTR:) I have to say that Im really into the movies but never could quit really understand and get into the books:) Cant WAIT for the movie The Hobbit to come out:) Sitting on ready!!! Me and my husband also have a kinship in the MOORPG LOTRO. He plays more often than me now, but its still a huge part of my heart:)
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Heck yes! My Mom and I get together around Christmas and watch the extended editions together. All in a row. Everyone else things we're NUTS.
    We are.
    It's OK.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Me me me! I'm trying to find a reason to buy Eriwen's dress (more of a book fan but the movies are good too), the green one. Someone give me a reason please? (Feeble reasons are gladly accepted) :tongue:
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I def am a LOTR fan!!!!!! Saw the sneak peake for The Hobbitt at the theatre the other night.........I am fired up!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Me me me! I'm trying to find a reason to buy Eriwen's dress (more of a book fan but the movies are good too), the green one. Someone give me a reason please? (Feeble reasons are gladly accepted) :tongue:

The name is Eowyn...
    this dress?
    Miranda_Otto_Eowyn_.jpg

And yes I am SO excited for the Hobbit.

I always wish for a theater to do all 3 movies back to back, extended versions, 12 hours of moviegasm.....
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I posted a comment about the Silmarillion. Almost no one even knew what it was let alone read it. Made me kinda sad.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i'm not obessesed, but i did read all the books and see all the movies. including The Hobbit
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    This girl right here! They are my favorite set of movies. I am such a fan that I have an elven tat and my wedding bands are the elven love rings.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am an uber geek!

My username, Nauriel R, is elvish (the R is short for Rochnur, which means "horse friend". Nauriel means 'Fire maiden") A bit geeky, I know, but I'm proud of it :)

I read the LotR books about once a year

I even taught myself how to write in Tengwar, the elvish alphabet. I'm best at the Sindarin mode, but with a bit of concentration I can pull or the Quenyan mode as well.

My best friend and I have LotR marathons a couple times a year, where we watch all three extended addition movies back to back.
    A few months ago I posted a comment about the Silmarillion. Almost no one even knew what it was let alone read it. Made me kinda sad.
    This is how I measure the dedication of a LotR geek. If they've read the Silmarillion all the way through, then they pass the test and can be considered a true LotR geek :P
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Once a year my husband and I watch all three, all in a row, with extended versions.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have all the extended editions. My Elven name is Eriathwen, and I use it at times. I've read all the books too.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    How the crap did I miss this thread?
  • backwoodsbama
    backwoodsbama Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Love the movies and the books. :D
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    present! Loved the books, was impressed with the movies.

the hobbit should be good :D
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Once a year I watch all 3 extended version. This year I plan to watch them in November, which is also the month I watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles ( another movie I watch yearly, near Thanksgiving ) I can't wait till December... The Hobbit FTW!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Once a year I watch all 3 extended version. This year I plan to watch them in November, which is also the month I watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles ( another movie I watch yearly, near Thanksgiving ) I can't wait till December... The Hobbit FTW!
    I just watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles a week or so ago because it had just been too damn long since I'd seen the car rental scene.
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles a week or so ago because it had just been too damn long since I'd seen the car rental scene.

hehe, Classic Scene. =)