Carbs & calories

Options
Just looking for some advice about counting carbs as well as calories. I know to lose weight you just have to have a calorie deficit and there ya go, but I noticed that 50-60% of my calories each day are from carbs and I wonder if it has anything to do with how well you lose weight. My mom and sister do low carb diets sometimes to lose weight and they will lose it pretty fast but I feel like they pick foods that may be low in carbs but still high in fat and not really good for you so I've never been a fan of going low carb. So does anyone try to stay under a calorie and carb goal? I feel like my weight loss is pretty slow and I'm looking to see if maybe it has to do with too many carbs! My diary is open also. Thanks!

Replies

• dmcb24
    dmcb24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I think you should try to eat less processed food and more clean foods to get out of your plateau. It's not the carbs but the kind of carb. Choose fruits, veggies and whole grains instead of processed.
  • MeganRhea_x
    MeganRhea_x Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm right at 5ft. Thanks for your advice!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    My diet is 60-65% carbs and I've been steadily losing weight for over a month now. 17lbs down, and still going!

The only reason to do a low-carb diet is if you are very, very inactive, or you have a medical reason to do so. Either that, or genetics (such as the Inuit) because your ancestors didn't eat a lot of carbs, you may not be used to them.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    way too many... just go for lean meats and beans and pulses and protein shakes are a really good one... i do 40% carbs since i have lowered them i have had great success, before i was at a standstill. it's still a reasonable amount of carbs and easy to stick to. FIsh such as tuna is also great protein. im very active (more than i have ever been) and i have more energy than i have ever had!

My macros are 40% carbs, 30 % protein and 30% fat...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My diet is 60-65% carbs and I've been steadily losing weight for over a month now. 17lbs down, and still going!

The only reason to do a low-carb diet is if you are very, very inactive, or you have a medical reason to do so. Either that, or genetics (such as the Inuit) because your ancestors didn't eat a lot of carbs, you may not be used to them.

would love to see a report proving this theory!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is my most favorite way to gain weight. I tried once and put on 25 pounds - now I recommend it to everyone I know who wants to gain weight ;( too many calories/carbs for not much full feeling.

Obviously I have no idea what your time is like or your level of comfort in the kitchen but there looks like a lot of your carbs are coming from processed foods and Pre-packaged things. Do you feel hungry a lot? the corn dogs, McDonald's and sugary cereals would leave me ravenous ;(

I'm not an expert but between those convenience foods and not eating all your calories it's possible that you could be losing faster but spending a little time at night packing healthy lunches and breakfast.

Best of luck in your journey *hugs*
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

total complete nonsense.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You're going to get two different groups in here with two different views on the subject and there are good chances this turns into a pissing match between the two, haha.

First, you will lose weight quickly when you start going low-carb. However, the first week or so's loss is simply water weight (water attaches itself to carbs so when you lower the carbs in your body, you lower the water your body retains as well - though it's not fat loss, you almost immediately see a decrease in 'bloat' which is fairly nice).

Group one will tell you a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you watch your calories.

Personally, I find losing weigh on low-carb much much easier. In my opinion, there may be different reasons for that.
    First and foremost, fat and protein are much more filling than carbs so it's actually fairly difficult to overeat. Also, recently they've shown that our bodies burn more calories on low-carb (approx 300 day*). There's also the insulin argument that by limiting carbs, you limit the insulin that stores fat to your body.

Anyhow, I'm low-carb (Paleo) and l love it. You can eat unhealthy and be low-carb (sugar-free sweeteners, trans fats), just as you can eat unhealthy and eat high-carb. However, don't equate eating fat to eating unhealthy.

Fat gets a really bad rap, but there is nothing that can show that eating fats, even saturated ones, is unhealthy.

Anyhow, hope that was helpful!

Edit: Also you'll have people tell you you need carbs for energy and that you'll be lethargic if you don't get enough. I'm doing Tapout every day (one of those video workouts), bike to work a couple times a week (30k ride), play softball every week, and play volleyball, and hockey (I sub for a couple teams). I also have two dogs that I regularly walk and take to the park.
    I average under 100g of carbs/day and I feel great.

* some people will come back and say that the study showed negative effects on stress and inflammation levels, but if you look at the actual study there was a negligible difference between the low-carb, low-fat, and mediterranean in terms of inflammation and stress, but the media stuck to it as proof that low-carb was bad (http://eatingacademy.com/books-and-articles/good-science-bad-interpretation)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it is quite possible that if you are eating the MFP suggested amount of carbs ( over 250g per day) that you will not lose weight very fast, or you could even gain weight!! About 8 years ago I was on WW and gained about 10lbs a month for 3-4 months, was eventually diagnosed with insulin resistance.

So 6 months ago I started back with MFP, and started at the Y. I was there 3-4 times a week for 90 minute workouts. It took me 3 MONTHS to lose 7 measly pounds. Then I reduced my carbs to under 100 g net ( total carbs minus fiber/sugar alcohols) per day. The first month I lost 8lbs, the second month I lost 6lbs, I'm wrapping up the 3rd month soon and on track to lose 6lbs again this month. I cut my workouts by 30% because I was having trouble eating enough. If I went as low as I did when I was in treatment for Insulin resistance (50g net per day) I would lose quicker, but it would not allow for me to eat as *normally* as I do now.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt to try it out and see.

Low carb did not work for me. Actually, it worked great for weight loss but I felt like crap the entire 2 months. Within about 3 days of returning whole grains to my diet I felt soooo much better.

But there are clearly people who absolutely love it and didn't experience what I did.

I am currently losing about a pound a week.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    My macros are set to 40 Carbs/ 30fat / 30 protein, and I try to keep my carbs under 160 net, lost 53 lbs so far, lol.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    firstly - DONT DO LOW CARB - your body wont thank you for it, believe me, i did it and it was terrible, low energy, mood swings, constipation to name a few side effects.

eat the amount of carbs that MFP recommends, choose carbs of a wholegrain variety e.g. brown rice, wholegrain bread, wholewheat pasta and noodles.

restrict your fruit portion to two a day and for the rest eat veg because fruit contains alot of fructose sugar which wont work wonders for your diet.

hope this helps (:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    firstly - DONT DO LOW CARB - your body wont thank you for it, believe me, i did it and it was terrible, low energy, mood swings, constipation to name a few side effects.

eat the amount of carbs that MFP recommends, choose carbs of a wholegrain variety e.g. brown rice, wholegrain bread, wholewheat pasta and noodles.

restrict your fruit portion to two a day and for the rest eat veg because fruit contains alot of fructose sugar which wont work wonders for your diet.

hope this helps (:

millions of people disagree. MFP carb recommendations are very high. There is no reason to eat that many carbs unless you are an endurance athelete or work physical labor all day or you just like to eat a lot of carbs.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

hope this helps (:

I'd be curious to see how long you went low-carb and how low you went.

If you've been eating higher carb your whole life and move to very low-carb (<50g), your body does need to adjust and you can go through a period (usually a week or so) of feeling a little crappy (just because you feel like crap when you first quit smoking doesn't mean you shouldn't).

I'm by no means saying that low-carb is for absolutely everyone, but the MFP carb recommendations are extremely high for the average person.

Anyhow, don't let the fear-mongering get to you. I've been doing it for two years now and I'm healthier than I've ever been.
    Also, my ratios are ~50F/35P/15C and my diary is open.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Try it and see for yourself. If you find weight loss better without carbs and you are more satiated on a high protein diet then stick with it, and if it doesn't work for you then stick with a calorie controlled diet with carbs. Both will allow you lose weight either way so the choice is entirely yours and what suits YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • nicole9008
    nicole9008 Posts: 23
    Options
    I just started low carbing on Monday and the first day was fine, i felt okay. the 2nd day was absolutely awful I was tired and lethargic and felt like my limbs weighed 100lb each. the Third day was even worse than that! BUt I am in my 5th day now and I feel great. I don't have any cravings, I am not experiencing the heavy or lethargic feeling anymore and best of all my appetite is suppressed and I've already lost 5 lbs. and I am only trying to lose 15 lbs total.

So it is working for me so far and what I like most since I dont' have much weight to lose is that I have a great energized, non hungry feeling all the time. I don't think about junk food all day. I would keep doing this diet just for that feeling since I will likely reach my goal vanity weight within a month or so.

If you have the motivation I think you should try it out and get past the 3rd day and see how you feel.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes or any other medical issue that "forces" me to eat low carb. I can do low carb to lose the weight ....but this cannot be a lifestyle change for me. I refuse to give up certain foods .... for life ..... all because of 15 pounds.

My approach is lifestyle changes, not "dieting." What will I do to keep the weight from coming back? I will eat "better for you" carbs, swap out processed junk whenever I can. Whole grains are filling too. I will "focus" on getting enough protein & good for you fats.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Lowering carbs will help lower water weight in the body (that's why weight loss is quick when starting a low carb diet).

A "normal" and healthy diet should be roughly 55% carbs, 25% protein and 20% fat. These can be varied day to day and do not have to be exact. But this is just the standard type of suggested intake.

Carbs are great for your body. They contain a great deal of nutrients for you. The goal is to get unprocessed carbs such as broccoli, apples, oranges, bananas, whole wheat grains, etc. These are terrific for the body.

Any diet that literally shuns 1/3 of all calorie sources cannot be maintained in the long term.

If you are getting all your carbs through healthy choices, then you're fine. If your carbs are: Cupcakes, white bread, Twinkies, Doritos, etc. then you have a problem.

And remember, this is a numbers game. You can be unhealthy and lose weight, but it is better to be healthy and lose weight.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister do low carb diets sometimes to lose weight and they will lose it pretty fast but I feel like they pick foods that may be low in carbs but still high in fat and not really good for you so I've never been a fan of going low carb.

from what i've learned and experienced, fat doesn't make you fat. the first two weeks of my low-carbing adventure, i ate a lot of full-fat greek yogurt, cream cheese and whole eggs pretty much every day (no exercise) and still lost 5 lbs. it's great... not to mention fun. :)

i do plan to go full on primal and once i reach my goal weight, i'll start introducing potatoes and whatnot. at any rate, i'm doing a calorie zig-zag and i'm telling you, it's super hard to go above 1200 calories for me on low-carb. i'm freaking too full all the time!!!! but i won't argue with you that it was hard at first and bread is SOOOOOO delicious :3 however i feel better health-wise and mood-wise and i'm not looking back. that's just me.
  • LLRider
    LLRider Posts: 65
    Options
    I agree completely with Fufonzo.

When I first started going very low carb (20-30g) I did feel crappy. Flu-ish. I took it easy for a few days and drank a lot of water. It passed.

Yes, my calories from fat are quite high - I do my best to focus on quality fats (e.g., avocado (surprisingly high in FIBER ... important for low carbers), olives, healthy oils, nuts (almonds, walnuts), flaxseed meal (Omega3).

I'm not suggesting that a very low carb plan is appropriate for everyone. Personally my reasons for eating a low carb diet are health related. However, I think folks who are overweight (a little or a lot) would benefit from a lower carb diet (the 30 - 40% range).

My diary is open and you are welcome to look at it. It's not perfect and I am open to suggestions. I've only been keeping track on MFP since July 13, 2012 . I plan to increase my carbs into the 50g range Aug 1.

:) L