what do you use to measure body fat???

Options
I have been "trying" to use a hand held body fat indicator, but it doesn't seem very consistant. i.e., i am loosing inches in my waist, but its going up (and i follow a pretty lean diet 25/25/50) - curious what everyone else uses, i know there are several variations, what do you use & what is the cost?

I'd much rather go by a body fat % than the scale... and it adds to the encouragment of loosing inches (when it's acurate)...

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Personally, I also purchased a hand held, but have been going back to using calipers because I find them to be much more consistent and I also like the number better. :laugh:
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    My Pants
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I have access to a BOD POD in the facility I work in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I use an Omron HBF-500 body composition monitor. I've read that someone tested it, and found it to be accurate to within 2%.

I bought it for $60 CAD from Costco.

Been using it for 6ish months, it's been VERY consistent. No complaints so far!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I find this to be insanely inaccurate. For me, it's off by 6%, which is a lot by anyone's standards.
  • Magnamus
    Magnamus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use my eyes (best) and online calculators.

Formerly I used to use calipers and that was by far the most accurate method.

The worst is Weight watchers scale resistance, it's usually off by +6-8% in my experience. (which is demoralizing)
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm so fat I have to use the old fashioned ice tongs:

image165.jpg
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch your macros to 35/35/30?

I agree, those hand-held devices aren't that accurate, nor are the weight scales that also offer that function.
    Honestly, I've had my bf% taken "professionally" by PT's at the gym where they used the foot device, as well as the electrodes device, and within 2 months, my bf% had varied between 22% and 12% which didn't make sense.

The best way to get it done would be the water displacement test, but I think you'd have to go to a medical facility for that. In the mean time, you may be able to get a slightly more accurate reading with the calipers.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    my GF and I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK

and ten pounds ago it had me at 19%, now it has me at 20%, when I almost have visible abs. It has also been known to vary about 4-5% from one second to another, or one tile on the floor to another, etc. I asked my gym (LA Fitness) if they had calipers or something more accurate, but they use the same machine for the personal trainers as I do. FML, right?

Yeah, go by inches or belt notches, I guess, eh? :)
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I use body fat calipers. I also take photos every week, and compare them with the previous week, and the previous month to see how I'm doing. These two things together make for a very good measuring stick. The photos don't give me a number obviously, but they do remind me that I change a little everyday, and I just don't see it!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Bod Pod every 3 months
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    41C5qeyAdiL._AA300_.jpg
    pretty dang accurate for me... use it at the same once a week before eating or drinking/showering/exercising
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My Pants

:D Certainly, a quick glance in the mirror is enough for me to tell whether I'm on target or not.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We have a bod pod available at the base we're located at.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

That site gave me exactly the same number as my hand held...neat!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    why would i need to change up my ratios? just curious - i'm trying to reduce my body fat, so i would think i'd need to keep the % lower? i make sure those are healthy fats too - not crappy food, but as fresh as i can get - so i assume i'm getting a good amount of healthy fat.

just curious.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    41C5qeyAdiL._AA300_.jpg
    pretty dang accurate for me... use it at the same once a week before eating or drinking/showering/exercising

that's the kind my gym has, and it's gone from 19.8 > 19.5 > 22.8 > 22.1 ... i do it at the same time everytime & if i'm loosing inches per the measuring tape, i don't see how that could be accurate... lol
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    i do the pics too & measure. i just like having something else to track - i'm a "tracker" lol...

i think i'll see if i can get some calipers - seems like they'd be good b/c i can measure the body fat % in different areas right? like my butt, abs, etc???
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I just got a body fat %/ water level scale last night. I use it keep the front door open when I run outside, cause Im not sure what this water number means and I dont like the bf% number.

:smile: