Re-thinking my position on eggs...

Options
I always believed the old theory that eggs are bad for you (ok I know its the yolks but that's the part I like so I won't do without those), so I stayed away from eggs all together. Since I started getting healthy, though, I have added eggs back into my diet. I don't eat ANY fried foods and I eat only very lean meats. I eat mostly whole foods and foods with very low additives and cholesterol. I've found that on the days that I eat eggs, I have an easier time meeting my own personal goals when it comes to fats and carbs and cholesterol. I've also found that my weight goes down faster when I've thrown some eggs into the mix. I know it isn't the eggs themselves that are helping me lose weight but perhaps they are helping me do something else right. I'd be interested to hear other opinions on eggs, yolk and all.

Disclaimer - Before anyone gets freaked or anything, when I say I added eggs to my diet, I still only eat maybe 3 a week.

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 sometimes 3 a day, whole eggs. I'm not a doctor, but I heard somewhere that it's only a problem if you have cholesterol problems or family history.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine for you. Those old studies are crap :) I say eat as many as you want, You don't have to limit yourself to 3 a week. They are a great source of protein and keep you full. Plus the good stuff is in the yolk. GO EGGS!!
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    My doctor says that unless you already have existing cholesterol problems, don't worry about your egg consumption. I love eggs, they have really helped along my weight loss by giving me a good protein that makes me feel full for a while! You can throw a ton of veggies into them to make them super-healthy. I also read a study (I wish I had saved the page) that shoes that modern eggs have a lot less cholesterol than eggs 50 or 60 years go. Not sure why, but I found that interesting.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The newer thinking is that eggs are pretty much a perfect food. I have also read that dietary cholesterol does not really equate to increased cholesterol in our blood. Can't tell you where I read that...probably on here somewhere...perhaps a thread about shrimp? Anyway, I love eggs...from my head down to my legs (I think that's how the jingle went).
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yay! That's awesome to hear that others agree :). I don't have any cholesterol problems at all and my fat intake is always at or below 30% and always mostly the good all natural fats so I thank you all. I will eat my eggs with joy and vigor now lol.
  • Soltari675
    Soltari675 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs pretty regularly. Usually one or two for breakfast on days I am not going to class. Sometimes I hard boil a few eggs and have one for a snack or something too. They do great and keeping my appetite under control.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Eggs are amazing. Don't cut yourself short. I eat 2 everyday. EVERY.SINGLE.DAY (the whole thing).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 dozen eggs a week some weeks, and rarely less than I dozen. 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites. They're yummy and healthy.
  • PrayerofAmity
    Options
    My one guilty pleasure is pickled eggs. I don't worry about the egg part, but I do know the sodium is high and I try to keep my sodium down to a dull roar since I am on a med that increases blood pressure. So far so good though, my bp is always in the normal range. One the days that I indulge I just watch my sodium elsewhere.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, I'll eat at least 2 per day.

Also, love pickled eggs...used to get one every time we went to the chippy...nommmmmm!! Haven't had one for a while though, maybe I should put them on my next shopping list :happy:
  • PrayerofAmity
    Options
    Strub's pickled eggs....-mouth waters-
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a great source of fat and protein. Fat and protein keeps us full.
  • goodcoffy
    goodcoffy Posts: 25
    Options
    Don't dump the yolk because it builds muscles and most of the egg protein is in the yolk. I use to toss my yolk away, not anymore (well not as often, because I really prefer the white only.) Also the yolk boost brain and muscle power.The yolk also fends off sore muscles, because of the choline. Plus have 1 or 2 eggs a day keeps the pounds away.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Eggs are THE superfood. Eat in abundance, like an oviraptor would
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome. I usually hard-steam a dozen each week and use them for snacks. Scrambled eggs will go with just about any veggie you want to throw in, and keep you full for a long time. Eat up!
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have my own chickens. They get fresh grass and bugs on a regular basis and their eggs are healthier than what you get in the store. Yay eggs!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I do two egg whites and one whole egg (so three whites and 1 yolk) when I cook. It's filling, has lots of protein, and doesn't taste overly eggy. :)

I also make this amazing dish that involves the same proportions, but usually doubled, sometimes tripled.
    1) whisk the egg whites to form peaks
    2) mix yolks to form as close to peaks as possible
    3) fold together
    4) gently cook on the range, in an oven safe skillet for 3 minutes.
    5) Transfer to a pre-heated oven at 350
    6) Cook for 5 - 10 minutes.

While egg is cooking, mix until blended
    1 TBSP Neufchatel / light cream cheese
    1 tsp powdered sugar
    2 tbsp milk

Microwave 1 tsp - 1 tbsp raspberry jam until it's slightly runny (Will be really hot)

When the egg is cooked, add the cheese mix and drizzle with warm jam.

Sounds gross, but I love this. ANd it's not that bad for ya. :)
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am meant to be working at keeping my cholesterol in check over this past 2 years. When the problem was first detected I went to a dietician to get advice on what I should eat/reduce, etc. She said that 3 eggs a week was fine. Unfortunately since then we have started to keep and breed hens so we have bucket loads of lovely organic eggs....bad timing, lol.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Eggs keep me full for a very long time and they're cheap. I'm sick of them, though. Anyone want a couple? Still got two hardboiled in my fridge waiting for me to be hungry enough to eat them. Bleh!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You could try 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Or maybe 2 and 2. Living without is a terrible idea. Better to find ways to live with them!

Remember: spices are your friend!

Many ways you can do them as well. If you use all egg whites and try to make an omelet with them, you can still achieve great flavor.