I want a ballerina body

Options

Replies

• ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was in ballet when I was younger. I would love to take it again, not because I was skinny (I wasn't) or even because I was good at it (I wasn't) but I really enjoyed it.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A willowy body comes from being naturally built that way. If it isn't you, it's best to not attempt to get it because you will eventually drive yourself to unhealthy means. It is imporant you instead focus on being the best "YOU" that you can be.

^^^^This. I long to be voluptuous and curvy but I'm not built like that. I have more of an athletic build. You can definitely "fine-tune" things about your physique but at the end of the day, genetics does play a role...like it or not.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Take up ballet?

I know "Vim_n_vigor" seems blunt, but she's spot on ;)

I've been modifying my body between a gymnast & fighter, what did I do?
    I dropped a weight class & started including gymnastic routines and stopped lifting heavy.

I think it's working, but then that's me ;)

If you don't want the class and you're confident in your ability and knowledge of exercise, "steal" what you can from the internet ;)
    But...many techniques could put you in danger without good guidance!
    Don't join a beginners class with a bunch of 4 year olds, go and pay for privates and see how you get on ;)
    Those dancers are STRONG!

or you could just focus on your "core", improve your core, improve your composition (reduce your fat % & increase your muscle mass). you will not become bulky. lb for lb, muscle takes up considerably less space then fat. you'll be lithe ;)

you can find your own way or ask for tips from MFP, get a hard nosed ballet teacher or even a "quality" PT instructor ;)

if you're really interested in doing this, please friend me as I'd love to track your progress. I reckon with the right diet, rest, training you could see results within 6 weeks and reach your goals if you write them down ;)

Good luck!
    ps
    remember, you may be limited by certain genetics (apple/pear/hourglass/tube)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBAfBT-P1PdVqsaLALnQsNC1hXtWN_UDIuzwvI3SfY9CUbbViJxDdhBJFPYg
  • thefullmontysmom
    thefullmontysmom Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I found 2 great DVD's on amazon that I can do at home so I am not as embarassed. Beginners balet, and balet conditioning...they are great and man do you feel it after! :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great advice. Ballet lessons it is...anyone know offhand if there's a ballet group on here?
  • melisha922
    melisha922 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OP: I actually get what you're saying. The workouts you choose do impact the way your body bulks. Case in point, my sister who is in fantastic shape and is on a college swimming scholarship has huge shoulders due to the amount of swimming she does. This is typical of swimmers. Certain activities tend to build up different parts of the body which can cause it to look bulkier in those areas. Like you, I have no desire to look like a weight lifter... more toned and slender. My advice would be yoga, pilates, core-centric workouts, and swimming (if you're not swimming 4 hours a day like my sis you won't get the shoulders ;)). Good luck!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, to some extent your body type is your body type. I'd love to have slender legs, but I have Mary Lou Retton legs instead. I wear size 6 or 8 bootcut jeans, have 18.5% body fat and need wide calf boots. My daughter has a Jennifer Lopez butt and big boobs but slender legs. You can ditch the fat, but you can't change your basic body type.

That said, if you're not taking steroids lifting won't make you bulky.

Well said!

Ballet is a great exercise, I do ballet once a week, been doing it for a long time and I don't have and I never will have a ballerina body. You need to start dancing at a very early age to get such a slender body, and dance a lot, not just a day or two a week. However, it is genetics what determines out body type.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    not all ballerinas are tiny..they come in all shapes. :). i did it for several years. i had a nice core and legs but i was never super tiny. after i stopped about 3 years ago i put on weight...dancing is definitely a good workout and it is enjoyable. even dancing for 17 years (6 years of competitive) and i always considered myself curvy.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, to some extent your body type is your body type. I'd love to have slender legs, but I have Mary Lou Retton legs instead. I wear size 6 or 8 bootcut jeans, have 18.5% body fat and need wide calf boots. My daughter has a Jennifer Lopez butt and big boobs but slender legs. You can ditch the fat, but you can't change your basic body type.

I'm with her. You can't really change your basic body type. I can lose all the weight I want, but I am never going to have an Audrey Hepburn figure. I will always have an *kitten* and boobs.

Same! This goes for ballerinas, too. I got to a conservatory of music and dance, and while I'm on the music side, the dansers have all kinds of body shapes and while they're all in really superior shape, some of them still are really big. It's body type. If you try to avoid hard exercises because you think it will make you bulky, you probably won't see much progress. I suggest reading New Rules of Lifting for Women...it will totally change the way you think about exercise.
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    I totally agree with all the comments so far - especially the ones about "body type." Still, I want to add another suggestion that may help you achieve long lean muscle. Look into a Bar Class - for example "Karve (located in Arizona & Utah, I think), "Bar Method" (all over U.S.) or "Dailey Method." Also - a good Pilates class and even a good Yoga class (i.e. Asthanga) will help you provide similar results with dedication! Good luck - and most important - Be Strong & Healthy! :o)
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Just a note: You "cannot" achieve "long, lean" muscles. You either have them or don't. Muscles insertions and shapes are determined by birth. You can't "elongate" a muscle. You can "visually" make it look longer by reducing body fat or losing muscle (through catabolic means) to look more "lanky" (my term). But no program is going to change muscle length or shape unless you're doing one where you're adding muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Just a note: You "cannot" achieve "long, lean" muscles. You either have them or don't. Muscles insertions and shapes are determined by birth. You can't "elongate" a muscle. You can "visually" make it look longer by reducing body fat or losing muscle (through catabolic means) to look more "lanky" (my term). But no program is going to change muscle length or shape unless you're doing one where you're adding muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

Yep this, Stretching/toning routines won't make your have long lean muscles either. If you are a girl and bulky you have either A. eaten too much, or B. used drugs.
  • soverykarri
    Options
    Stick with the pilates and you'll get there. And a lot of cities have ballet-esque dance studios like Pure Barre.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Taking up dance classes is a great way to get in that lean body shape! But keep in mind, a lot of proffesional ballet dancers are naturally that thin because they've done it all their life - their muscles are conditioned for it. Dancers that start later on in life or non-proffesionally while of course can be in great shape, tend to be not as slender. (At least in my experience with dancing ballet up until my teens this is what I've seemed to notice). Dancers have a lot of pressure to be thin, and eating disorders are sadly very common. The ideal weight for a professional ballet dancer is about 85lbs at 5' tall and add 5lbs for every inch taller - this is considered underweight on a BMI scale!
    By all means though don't let that discourage you, just be mindful of your health :P - dance is one of the most beautiful forms of art, it's a great source for inspiration!!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The ideal weight for a professional ballet dancer is about 85lbs at 5' tall and add 5lbs for every inch taller - this is considered underweight on a BMI scale!

Yes but you can't really trust a BMI anymore since its so outdated. I do agree that many dancers are pressured to be skinny.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

^^^ This.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    I have done ballet since I was 5 years old. I started being classically and professionally trained before I entered high school. Ballet does give you an amazing body, but there are other work out's that can give you a similar look. Yoga is one of the best!! There is a dvd called "yoga booty ballet" that is a-ma-zing!!!:heart:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    do ballet?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    The ideal weight for a professional ballet dancer is about 85lbs at 5' tall and add 5lbs for every inch taller - this is considered underweight on a BMI scale!

Yes but you can't really trust a BMI anymore since its so outdated. I do agree that many dancers are pressured to be skinny.
    Well IMO BMI is still low on the scale for most. At 5'8 BMI states I'd still be normal at a weight of 130lbs. Yeah, I'd be a stick since I was 126 when I graduated from highschool and was a stick.

IDEA Fitness member