Is too much tuna bad?

Options

Replies

• qwertypie
    qwertypie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a can every day. Did it for about a month. Never had any problems at all. The only residual effect I noticed is that my body had to adjust to not getting as much protein after I lost all the weight I wanted and stopped eating the tuna every day. I'd have days where I was feening for protein and would have to grab the peanut butter or get some beef immediately. I still eat a can at least once a week for lunch. Starkist Select Very Low Sodium is my go to.

Mercury is a cumulative poison. It stays in your body for a long time after you eat it. So you might not feel the effects of it after eating it every day for only a month. But if you eat one can a week for a year or more, the mercury builds up in your system. Not everyone who does this will develop mercury poisoning symptoms, but do you really want to take a chance? You don't need to eat tuna or meat to get enough protein: beans, legumes and nuts will do just fine.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have eaten up to two cans a day for weeks on end.

I'm alive and I'm fine.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I ate a can everyday for months. Sometimes i even ate 2 tins. I'm alive.

Yea...but look at your head in your pic....you have things sprouting out of it :P
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I love good tuna!
  • rhaven15th
    rhaven15th Posts: 14
    Options
    It really depends, I heard too much of anything can be bad.
    I eat one or two Greek Yogurts a day, that have an excellent source of protein.
    I heard people either love the Greek Yogurts or hate 'em.
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a can every day. Did it for about a month. Never had any problems at all. The only residual effect I noticed is that my body had to adjust to not getting as much protein after I lost all the weight I wanted and stopped eating the tuna every day. I'd have days where I was feening for protein and would have to grab the peanut butter or get some beef immediately. I still eat a can at least once a week for lunch. Starkist Select Very Low Sodium is my go to.

Mercury is a cumulative poison. It stays in your body for a long time after you eat it. So you might not feel the effects of it after eating it every day for only a month. But if you eat one can a week for a year or more, the mercury builds up in your system. Not everyone who does this will develop mercury poisoning symptoms, but do you really want to take a chance? You don't need to eat tuna or meat to get enough protein: beans, legumes and nuts will do just fine.

Like I said above. I didn't have any problems and that was well over a year ago. But, I knew the risk and decided it was low enough that I'd do it anyway. So, hopefully the OP can now do the same.

OP: Just because me and a lot of other people here eat/ate a can a day (or more) doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. You'll just have to read up and decide for yourself if you think it's worth the risk.

Here's a link to the NRDC chart.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Well *kitten*, I've been eating about a can every night this week because I made tuna salad.

It's not like you've been ingesting arsenic-injected Marlboro Reds, I think you can relax ;)
    This thread is about eating tuna, not ingesting arsenic-injected Marlboro Reds. So are you saying that's bad also?
    This is just not my week.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    So far the arguments for eating a can of tuna a day include:

-It's not as bad as some other things
    -I do it, so how could it be bad?
    -At least it's not arsenic/cigarettes

Some really amazing reasoning you people have
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I've heard about the mercury nonsense too... I suppose it's not that good for you in the long run.
    But neither is eating cheese burgers.
    You gotta make a decision somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about it to the point that you ration yourself to a can per week because your afraid your going to sprout an extra arm due to mercury.
    But if you are concerned, you could always try working in some grilled chicken or a protein shake instead. I also rinse off my tuna after draining out the excess water- rinses off a little sodium too.

A good, grass fed burger is better for you than a mercury filled tuna sandwich. But I agree with you on the rest.
  • spawelcz
    spawelcz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The warning the FDA released was geared towards women who are pregnant, may become pregnant, nursing, or young children. So I would assume as long as you are not one of those a can of tuna a day is just fine.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    As seen on: http://howmuchfish.org/

canned Albacore Tuna
    Good news! An eight-ounceserving of canned Albacore Tuna is low in calories and loaded with these essential nutrients. (For nutrients other than omega-3s, “RDI” numbers represent the USDA’s Reference Daily Intake):

Omega-3s (EPA+DHA): 1.95 g (391.2% of daily need*)
    Protein: 53.60 g (107.2% of RDI)
    Vitamin B12: 2.40 mcg (44.0%)
    Potassium: 536.00 mg (15.2%)
    Selenium: 148.80 mcg (270.4%)
    Iron: 2.16 mg (12.0%)
    Fat: 6.72 g
    Sodium: 853.36 mg
    Calories: 291 (canned)

Hypothetical concern:

Health problems associated with mercury in commercial fish are theoretical, and highly unlikely unless your weekly intake of canned Albacore Tuna is more than:

80 ounces (16 5-oz. cans).

sources: USDA, EPA, FDA. (*Omega-3 “daily need” from the Int’l Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    For men, it's probably not much of a problem to eat 1-2 cans per day or albacore tuna.

The reason it's such an issue with women is how slowly methyl mercury is eliminated.

It also readily crosses the placenta, so if you do get pregnant even small amounts of methyl mercury can have developmental effects. It's more likely in susceptible individuals, but have you ever been screened for susceptibility (don't think such a test exists, that was rhetorical).

For this reason, the FDA has to set the warning where they do. If you are not pregnant or breast feeding and don't think there's a chance you could get pregnant, then you can probably consume as much as men and be fine. Any overt toxicity isn't likely in a healthy adult even if you ate it every day.

Reading about the disaster in Minimata Bay Japan might be interesting to those who haven't heard of it. Scientists learned much of what we know of methyl mercury effects from this.

Signed,
    Taylor5877, PhD Toxicology.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I bought 7 cans for snacks at the office today...

Oh, and you can eat chunk light tuna which contains far less mercury.
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat a can a day as well and have seen no ill effects. But as a result of the mercury I tell the temperature accurate to a tenth of a degree!
  • Yellabutterfly05
    Yellabutterfly05 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Got any good recipes for tuna? I'm new to low fat healthy cooking and could use some suggestions. Thanks!:smile:
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I've heard about the mercury nonsense too... I suppose it's not that good for you in the long run.

I'm sorry. Nonsense? So because you don't like the way something sounds it's just nonsense now? :noway:

Have you ever heard of bio accumulation?

http://www.lvrj.com/news/study_-mercury-in-canned-tuna-high-83006612.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2007/02/19/tuna-testing.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/heart-healthy-tuna-is-good-until-you-get-mercury-poisoning/article4190583/

Mercury is extremely high in large ocean fish like tuna. You are not supposed to exceed 3 CANS A WEEK. Especially if you are a woman and especially if you are of child bearing age.

Switch to salmon, it is not nearly as bad.

I do not get this site. Do you people never read/watch the news/been in a science class?

^^^THIS X 10
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love my tuna, but I was concerned with eating "too much", so I switched a few things about and also included sardines :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/550938-health-risks-of-eating-sardines/
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it to the point that you ration yourself to a can per week because your afraid your going to sprout an extra arm due to mercury.
    this is true too haha!

you are right you wont sprout an extra arm but you might experience sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation and a lack of coordination
    I get that after a 12 pack of Bud also. :drinker:
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Dammit, I want a tuna melt now...
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Dammit, I want a tuna melt now...

Yup