Re-thinking my position on eggs...

Options

Replies

• akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I hard boil a bakers' dozen and have one (yolk included! Good stuff in there!) for breakfast almost every day, it seems to keep me fuller, by about a half hour than if I had a 3/4 cup of dry oatmeal. Weird really. :)
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    Eggs are the most complete protein you can put into your body. They have the most essential amino acids that your body needs. So, my diet is full of eggs...mostly egg whites but I do have some hard boiled eggs..maybe 2 or 3 a week
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've eaten them raw. Just cracked them open into a glass and slid them down my throat. Haven't done that in awhile.

When I was a lad I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning to help me get strong. Now that I'm grown I eat 5 dozen eggs and I am roughly the size of a baaaaarrrgggge!

When people talk about raw eggs, this is what I think of right away. Anyone know what movie it is from??
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I vote for "joy and vigor"!!! Eggs are wonderful! I eat 2 or 3 a day. I can cut the fat somewhere else because eggs are in my diet to stay!
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Eggs are wonderful. I'm pretty sure that they don't affect cholesterol levels actually. I have one fried egg for breakfast a few times a week, and would you believe it, it only has 25 calories?????? Yet it keeps me pretty full until lunchtime (along with a slice of bacon and a small piece of bread).
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get there... I'm a vegetarian and borderline vegan (but having too much trouble giving up cheese!). I've never LOVED eggs, but I enjoy a good egg breakfast sammich from time to time - I used to love egg salad till my hubby said it looked and tasted liked chopped up eyeballs (that did it for me) and I always liked hard boiled eggs. I also feel so much better, and stay full longer, when I have egg protein in the morning... just having trouble bringing myself to eat them cuz they kind of gross me out now
  • hollyk57
    Options
    I've eaten them raw. Just cracked them open into a glass and slid them down my throat. Haven't done that in awhile.

When I was a lad I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning to help me get strong. Now that I'm grown I eat 5 dozen eggs and I am roughly the size of a baaaaarrrgggge!

When people talk about raw eggs, this is what I think of right away. Anyone know what movie it is from??

Hahaha Gaston singing in Beauty and the Beast! Love that movie!

beauty_and_the_beast_gaston.jpg
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    EAT EGGS they're not bad for you I don't know why people think that. The cholesterol isn't bad cholesterol. If you're worried about calories try and omelette with 2 eggs and 2 whites.
  • hollyk57
    Options

OMG that would be like fear factor for me. I wouldn't do that for a billion dollars

dr.evil.jpg
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eggs are Egg-cellent! :bigsmile: Organic for me
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I suppose the level of health and nutrition in an egg depends on where they come from.

Buying in a supermarket, you're going to get eggs loaded with anti-biotics from chicken raised in a factory farm.

Take the extra step (and just a couple more dollars) and buy them from a source you can trust. You'll get healthier eggs!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I eat between 24 and 42 a week. My thyroid, liver, kidney and HDL/LDL etc levels are perfect. Cholesterol is not effected in a negative way with eggs if used as part of a healthy diet.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i thought the same thing for a long time. i had blood work done and my levels were in the "normal" range for being a 23 year old college student. Then I got into CrossFit and started eating at least 2 eggs every. single. day. for breakfast. Sometimes I'd have one or two more throughout the day as a snack. (whole eggs, not egg whites). Of course there were some other things I changed too. Like: I started eating bacon, more bacon, bacon as often as I could get it. seriously. no not organic, freshly sliced from the pig in the backyard bacon, but grocery store bought plain ol' bacon that anyone has access to. I also started using the bacon grease to cook with, instead of using olive oil. Yes, I even put bacon grease in cupcakes once instead of oil... delicious.

Of course I swapped foods too, iceberg lettuce for romaine lettuce, ranch dressing for oil and vinegar or no dressing, peanut butter for almond butter, cow milk for almond milk, etc. I didn't do a whole lot of swapping or eliminating other than this list.

Point is, I went back 6 months later to recheck my blood work, I gained 2 pounds but according to the nurse, my levels were "the best i've ever seen for a girl your age that isn't a competitive athlete". I believe it was the change of adding more protein to my diet that caused these changes. I also have family history of high cholesterol and heart attacks, but I don't believe genetics has much to do with my levels. I think it stems from coming from a fat family. I don't believe in predisposed diseases. But that's just me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Eggs have been key to me losing almost 90 lbs. I try to limit myself to one yolk a day (most of what I have read still says more than that might be a problem), but I will have 4 whites with one whole egg a day. Eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and lite string cheese are my 4 "secret weapons"!

Do you have links for the claim that more than one yolk a day "might be a problem" (and what kind of "problem" are we talking about, here?)?

To the OP - eggs are awesome! I have three every morning, scrambled and cooked up in the same pan that I cooked a couple pieces of bacon plus a little coconut oil (the bacon sticks like no other if I don't put a little oil in the pan before anything else). Keeps me full for a good 5 hours, even with a workout in the middle of that.
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me hungry for eggs! I don't eat them everyday, but I eat them whenever I want them, either poached on toast or scrambled with maybe some salsa on top. That's really good, if you haven't tried it.
    I don't listen to any of the crap when they come out with the latest thing that isn't good for you. A few years ago it was bread --- Don't eat bread --- Bread is bad for you. The company in Buffalo that made the best rye bread ever for as long as I could remember wound up going out of business. My mantra is, 'All things in moderation' and it seems to be working for me, since I've lost 21 pounds since mother's day. :smile:
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article talking about the reality of eggs, high cholesterol, and heart disease:
    http://www.wellnessletter.com/ucberkeley/feature/the-sunny-side-of-eggs/#
  • xilef76
    xilef76 Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat a ton of egg whites! my food diary is open to the public, sometimes I eat 12 a day. I eat them as a snack because protein curbs hunger. I think two egg yolks is the most you should eat in one day, because the cholesterol is high... also keep in mind that an egg yolk is high in calories... egg yolks are about 60 calories, while the egg whites are only 17. food for thought!
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I suppose the level of health and nutrition in an egg depends on where they come from.

Buying in a supermarket, you're going to get eggs loaded with anti-biotics from chicken raised in a factory farm.

Take the extra step (and just a couple more dollars) and buy them from a source you can trust. You'll get healthier eggs!

Luckily I live in an area with amazingly diverse agricultural resources and we have a farmer's market where you can buy anything from corn anh honey to eggs, dairy and meat straight from the local farmers.
  • huron81
    huron81 Posts: 9
    Options
    I also have started eating eggs again. If I have a hard boiled egg in a salad, the salad is just more filling for some reason. More than putting ham or chicken in it anyway. Another way I like them is soft poached then put over steamed asparagus. One egg is 72-75 calories, so I count it like a salad with dressing.

Anyway, I'm off-topic - But I find myself REALLY looking forward to my egg (like all day!). I don't have one every day, but I do probably eat 4 or so a week.

As for cholesterol, I just can't worry about every possible problem - I would be overwhelmed into not doing anything. Right now I DO have a weight problem so I'm focusing on taking care of that. Afterwords, I'll see.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Gotta love people when they go on about organic eggs etc. They are still fed with the same junk feed in the same way and they even get rained on with the same polluted rain etc. No better or worse in reality unless your chicken producing eggs are fed seeds rather than feed.

Reality of eggs and cholesterol can be found on the British Heart Foundation website (e.g. the UK's premier website on heart health!) - http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=12920