Better bowel movement - constipation - HELP!

Options
So I need tips on how to improve my 'bathroom' situation. I went shopping last night and got one of those fiber powders that you can mix with your water...Called Metamulcil..?

Anyone knows a better way to deal with heavy consitpation?

Replies

• missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A big tablespoon of ground flax seed mixed into applesauce is wonderful natural remedy. Are you getting too much iron?
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    any type of fiber, the powder, pills, gummies, fruit, wholr grain products, fiber one snack bars, some cereal has a lot of fiber, almonds and nuts have some fiber
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You could eat more fiber instead of taking the powder... celery and broccoli are great sources. Fiber, in the long term, will harden the stool (if its soft and runny), and will also help keep you regular (strong intestines).

Caffeine actually aids in encouraging bowel movements as well. (Excited intestines)

Fair warning #1: Increasing fiber in the diet may lead to excessive flatulence.

Fair warning #2: Caffeine, such as coffee, on an empty stomach can lead to very liquidy stool.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Nuts and beans have tons of fiber.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Fair warning #1: Increasing fiber in the diet may lead to excessive flatulence.

Is that a warning for her or the people around her?
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just don't forget lots of water, or the fiber can make it worse yet...
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    coffee first thing in the morning tends to do the trick for most people it seems
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When increasing fiber intake you also need to increase water intake, or else the increase in fiber will have the opposite effect of what you want it to do.
  • pk6868
    pk6868 Posts: 16
    Options
    I recommend over the counter Miralax (go for the generic)for my patients to help with immediate constipation. It is a powder you can add it to any liquid and it is tasteless. Sometimes you have to take it several days in a row to help you develop regular bowel movements, but it is safe and gentle on your system.

To help prevent problems in the future try taking a daily over the counter probiotic--I like Floragen--you have to ask the pharmacist for it as it is kept in the refrigerator. The probiotic is just good for overall colon health. Besides taking the Floragen eating oatmeal and a container of yogurt daily really helps me. Metamucil is good as well because it is a good source of fiber, I just personally don't like the taste (but that is just my opinion).

Good luck, that is a tough problem to have.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I take a 60cal prune pak each night, and strong coffee each morning....
    also, miralax daily....
  • Naomipal
    Naomipal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Read up on taking magnesium, it helped me lots.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of water, nuts, raw veggies, and if you still can't go... a coffee should do the trick!
  • PARCELQUEEN
    PARCELQUEEN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    prunes in juice
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Increase your fiber intake (as previously said). Personally, the taste of Metamucil makes me want to hurl so I shy away from it. My son has cerebral palsy and constipation is a huge issue for him, regardless of foods eaten. We use Miralax and I totally swear by it! There is zero taste and it dissolves in any beverage.

I have IBS and started taking a 25 billion count probiotic. Hello regularity. Check probiotics out, they're worth it!
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    I take Miralax everyday, DR reccommended.. It does help
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    In addition to making sure you're getting enough fibre, it's also important to get enough dietary fat and water... too little fat makes everything harden up, and becomes harder for your body to move. Many people dieting cut most of the fat out of their diet and this can be a side effect. If you're increasing your fibre, as mentioned above, you should also increase your water intake.

Think of it like the difference between squeezing a tube of toothpaste vs trying to squeeze gravel through a garden hose that is bent in tight curves. Great mental image but the best comparison I can think of! (need more coffee) :laugh:

If it's really bad, or you're getting sharp stomach pains etc, you might want to considering seeing a doctor for a solution and then work on a longer term diet change to prevent future issues.
  • Skyyy12
    Skyyy12 Posts: 24
    Options
    A P P L E J U I C E WORKS FOR ME!! :)
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Ask a Dietician says: "Generally, a person should consume 1 gram of fiber for every 100 calories or approximately 25 grams of fiber per day. Persons with reduced food intake, say 1200 calories, should aim for at least 15 grams of fiber as the average American only eats 12 grams per day."
    You should
    "Choose whole fruits more often than fruit juice. Fresh, frozen, or canned, it doesn’t matter, they all count.
    Try to eat two vegetables with your evening meal.
    Keep a bowl of veggies washed and prepared in your refrigerator. Cucumbers, celery, or carrots are a good choice for a quick snack.
    Make a meal around dried beans or peas (also called legumes) instead of meat. "
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    plenty of fiber, plenty of fat.
  • ifyouwanttosingout
    Options
    Read up on taking magnesium, it helped me lots.

I agree with this. I have horrible issues w/constipation and this is the only thing that's helped me.