Help with muscle gain diet & workout (I'm slightly new to macros and clean dieting for muscle gain)

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to the balancing my macros and I've put loads of effort in researching not just the right foods to stay under my desired caloric limit but to get the right balance between protein, carbs and fat.

Below is a summary of my past and present workouts and nutrition:

Workouts:

My past:
As of January 8th 2014 I was clearly overweight at 79.8kg with roughly 21.7% body fat and I worked had over the last 10 months and currently my weight is 64.8kg with roughly 14% body fat. In the first 6 months I was on a pure cutting workout program.

I also managed to get my nutrition right from a diet with zero portion control and zero balance between protein, carbs and fat to the diet you see when you click the attachment I called Cutting days nutrition.pdf (130.0 KB)

Currently (as of 06/12/14):
My goal: Gain lean muscle.

My weight: 65kg

My body fat: 14%.

My BMI: 20

My recent and current workout program with the goal of gaining muscle is as follows:

Day 1: Abs, Cardio, Back and Biceps.
Day 2: Abs, Cardio, Chest and Triceps
Day 3: Abs, Cardio and Shoulders
Day 4: Abs, Cardio then Full Body workout (2 sets of one workout for back, biceps, chest, triceps, shoulders and legs)
Day 5: Abs, Cardio then Legs
Day 6: Soccer practicex9k04wwmmrbj.png
m5ibf55h2k5p.png

Day 7: Rest

I've been on the above program for the last two weeks.

My current diet:

On my training days based on the above training program click the attachment I called Training days nutrition.pdf (133.3 KB) and see the attachment called Training days breakdown for my protein, carb and fat summary

On my REST days based on the above training program click the attachment I called Non-training days nutrition.pdf (132.1 KB) and see the attachment called Non training days breakdown for my protein, carb and fat summary

Basically I need help with figuring out if my diet is right for achieving my goal of building muscle whilst staying under my calorie limit of 1700/1800 calories specifically and which clean portions of proteins, carbs and fats to add.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am going to say you are eating too little in order to gain muscle. If you want to gain muscle you have to eat a calorie surplus. Your body needs the raw materials to build muscle, which comes in the form of extra calories. You can't build muscle without materials. Maybe if you are very genetically gifted it's possible, but not for the general population. For reference, I weigh 148 lbs (slightly more than you) and I eat 2600 calories per day to gain muscle/weight. This is based on MY activity level (4 days weight training and ~1 hour and 15 mins of cardio per week).

As a starting point I would take 14 and multiply it by your weight in pounds to get your maintenance calories. Then add on 150 calories. If the scale is not moving up, then you need to eat more. I kept upping the calories each week until I started seeing consistent gains. You need to come to terms with the fact that if you want to build muscle you have to gain weight or else you will just be spinning your wheels trying to build on 1800 calories.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Won't work. I don't know if you're male or female, height etc. but I'm guessing that 1700/1800 won't put you in calorie surplus, which you'll need to gain muscle.

Also, having a 'leg' day after a 'full body' day isn't going to give you enough recovery time IMO.

I didn't look at the attachments, sorry, so that's all I've got.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Your profile says your 26 yr old male, yeah you most definitely need to eat more then 1700/1800 calories, more like 2 times that amount most likely.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You said you've put loads of effort into researching but it looks like you have done nothing. Your fat is extremely low and your total calories are inadequate for your goal of building muscle. Use this site to calculate your macros based on your activity level: www.iifym.com
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Check out http://scoobysworkshop.com, plenty of good advice and none of the BS.
  • AMonari
    AMonari Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thank for all the replies. I've updated my profile.

@burtnyks: Really appreciate the detailed reply. Gradually but intelligently on my non training days I'm looking increase my calorie intake to 2000 calories and on my training days I'm looking to raise this to 2200 calories.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my approach is to add complex carbs with low GI before my workouts and lean protein after my workouts in addition to my current diet (if you have time please have a look at the attachment in my original post titled Training days nutrition.pdf).

To quickly use your suggestion:

My current weight (as of 07/12/14): 65.8kg or 145pounds)

Multiplying 14 by 145 pounds = 2030 calories

1st question: I guess this the total number of calories I should be eating to maintain my current weight or what does this number represent?

If I add 150 calories that amounts to 2180 calories. Using this number should I look to then gradually my calories intake from 2130 to 2180?

Out of curiosity why did you go for 150 calories? Were there any carbs you went for that were low in fat with a low GI that fitted under this limit?
  • AMonari
    Options
    @3alain75: I've updated my profile and if you can have look at my history. Most definitely I need to increase my calories but I intend to do this without grossly increasing my current body fat of 12% which I've worked hard to achieve say without increasing it past 16%
  • AMonari
    Options
    @Serah87: At this very moment doubling my calorie intake isn't possible but gradually as I mentioned I would like to start with 2000 on my non training days and 2200 calories on my training days.
  • AMonari
    Options
    @Jbgolf52: The tool is pretty awesome.

Basically using the Athletes formula (I chose this formula as I guess with 12% body fat I'm somehow lean) an selecting an activity level of 4 times/week:

Step 1:

BMR => 1598 calories/day
    TDEE => 2267 calories/day

Step 2:

I chose bulking with the 5% cautious option as the goal and 2343 calories/day is the outcome.

Step 3:

My choices for protein and fat for step 3 are as follows:

Protein: .7 grams per lb. of body weight
    Fat: .30 grams per lb. of body weight

Step 4:

Based on 5 meals a day the results are as follows:

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
    GRAMS per day 410.3 89.3 38.3 29 - 36 2343
    GRAMS per meal 82.1 17.9 7.7 6 - 7 469

The above results are quite interesting especially the 469 calories per meal.

Now what I would like to know more is building on my current training diet (if you have time please see in my 1st post the PDF I called Training days nutrition.pdf) which low fat complex carbs without grossly increasing my current body fat of 12% which I've worked hard to achieve .. basically say without increasing it past 16% …

Thanks
  • AMonari
    Options
    @steveyinasia: Thanks I'll have a look at the site in more detail.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but without a picture all this means nothing.

How tall are you?
    You're 145 lbs and likely you shouldn't be losing more weight? Picture needed.
    You are not going to gain muscle without a surplus.
    Your fat intake is to low.
    Forget the whole GI nonsense. It's all based on the consumption of the singleading carb with no added fat or protein.
    Your training is terrible. Get on a proven barbell program.

Most importantly, post a picture for any valid advice.

Five foot 7 inches......145 pounds.

• AMonari
    Options
    Hi all, I've uploaded a couple of pics.

@MrM27: Would like your opinion after seeing my pics.

Thanks
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You can add pics to the thread easily now by clicking on the bit of paper with a folded corner icon. Sorry, I'm just too lazy to go into profiles - since the update mine does crazy things when I try to, hasslesome :/
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but without a picture all this means nothing.

How tall are you?
    You're 145 lbs and likely you shouldn't be losing more weight? Picture needed.
    You are not going to gain muscle without a surplus.
    Your fat intake is to low.
    Forget the whole GI nonsense. It's all based on the consumption of the singleading carb with no added fat or protein.
    Your training is terrible. Get on a proven barbell program.

Most importantly, post a picture for any valid advice.

Totally agree with all of the above. There's no way that your TDEE is that low--calculators are not all that accurate, they're just an estimate. I'm a 5'6" 130 lb female and my TDEE is over 2300/day. And your routine is...interesting. Find a good program that's been created by a professional and follow that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Your profile says your 26 yr old male, yeah you most definitely need to eat more then 1700/1800 calories, more like 2 times that amount most likely.

Lul- 1700 is my "light weight" percentage cutting number as a grown *kitten* woman.

no way at 17/1800 is he gaining.

I co-sign- it's going to be 2x this amount. if not more- I was eating over 3000 at the top of my bulk.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Disclaimer: You asked for my opinion and you got it. If you have more questions I'm happy to respond. To the lurkers that think I could have been nicer about it, I'm not here to be nice, I'm here to provide actual information not a turd wrapped in sprinkles.

This is my favorite part of the thread. :laugh:
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Disclaimer: You asked for my opinion and you got it. If you have more questions I'm happy to respond. To the lurkers that think I could have been nicer about it, I'm not here to be nice, I'm here to provide actual information not a turd wrapped in sprinkles.

This is my favorite part of the thread. :laugh:

I know, right? I want a turd wrapped in sprinkles!