Help with muscle gain diet & workout (I'm slightly new to macros and clean dieting for muscle gain)

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Fascinating. Four pages and no one freaking out that he's "clean dieting".

ps: THIS is trolling lol. (Trolling: the most misused word on the forums)
    :drinker:

Hmm.

Enters every thread to complain about hijacking and mean people. Then starts the fight herself. I have a confuse.

And note that I self identified. cheers.

Well at least we all now know that the motivation behind most of your posts is really that you enjoy the fight.

:laugh: Nope. Not accurate at all. Thus, the reason I clearly indicated that I was trolling here. Nice try though. And please, feel free to flag it. I've made my point.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hmm.

Enters every thread to complain about hijacking and mean people. Then starts the fight herself. I have a confuse.

Well at least we all now know that the motivation behind most of your posts is really that you enjoy the fight.

:laugh: Nope. Not accurate at all. Thus, the reason I clearly indicated that I was trolling here. Nice try though. And please, feel free to flag it. I've made my point.

Very accurate....and I've made my point. ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Hmm.

LOL. You've been around here long enough to "know" me. Flag people? C'mon, get real.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Hmm.

LOL. You've been around here long enough to "know" me. Flag people? C'mon, get real.

I don't know you from adam, actually. You don't flag? Okay. How about we get back to the topic at hand then?
  • PRMinx
    Options

Hmm.

I don't know you from adam, actually. You don't flag? Okay. How about we get back to the topic at hand then?

outlander106c.gif
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Forever bulk brah
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hmm.

and that makes it okay then...

"I'm annoying people on purpose-- but it's okay- because I cracked a veiled joke at it."

How well did that work for Niner?

Oh wait- that's right- it didn't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Hmm.

and that makes it okay then...

"I'm annoying people on purpose-- but it's okay- because I cracked a veiled joke at it."

How well did that work for Niner?

Oh wait- that's right- it didn't.
    No clue what you're talking about. But ok.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Hmm.

Hi! I'm Adam
  • PRMinx
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Hmm.

Hi! I'm Adam

giphy.gif
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Hmm.

It was a failed troll attempt. Do you even lift?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Hmm.

derailing is her game, trolling is just an added bonus..

oh, and not reading is also an expertise for this one...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I would presume that no one addressed the clean eating portion because he's looking to bulk. He's going to end up being in a surplus anyway, so fat gain is inevitable no matter how "clean" his food selection is.

People usually dog pile on the clean eaters who feel as though it is the holy grail of weight loss when it really doesn't make a difference regarding body composition.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Disclaimer: You asked for my opinion and you got it. If you have more questions I'm happy to respond. To the lurkers that think I could have been nicer about it, I'm not here to be nice, I'm here to provide actual information not a turd wrapped in sprinkles.

Why aren't you on my FL? <3

• AMonari
    AMonari Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @3laine75: Lol .. I do eat a lot of fruit and veg and I'm looking to using the balance of fruit and veg I enjoy as a basis/foundation for the addition of my bulking food options across the 5 meals I eat. Thanks for the suggestions particularly the olive oil, vinegar, chilli flakes, mustard seeds. Lol .. I'll look if Tesco have each of them. As for the bran flakes I have it with half a banana plus 85ml of Soya milk.

In addition to a full banana this is my combo before my workout. Regarding the peanut butter (say 1 tablespoon) is it ideal to have this with my shake pre or post workout? I'll also take a look at the omega 3 or cod liver oil capsules.

And as for being veggie I'm not but as i mentioned I love my fruit and veg.

@JoRocka and Sabine_Stroehm: Lol .. clean bulking or clean dieting .. the key word for me is CLEAN ..

And I like Clean bulk = small surplus ..

And indeed dirty bulking is what I really want to avoid ..
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have peanut butter anytime =D I was just trying to work suggestions in to compliment things I saw on your diary. A whole grain one would probably fit in well with your way of eating rather than Sunpat etc (think I tried one called 'whole Earth' before).

Hell, if you're not veggie, where's the meat? Easiest way to get complete protein. And I love me some veggies too but not if there's not a nice steak or chicken or something sitting beside it.

Oily fish, salmon, trout, mackerel whatever - doesn't come much 'cleaner' - loads of protein and fat for the WIN!

I'd say feel free to stalk my diary but my food choices would horrify you =D
  • AMonari
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @3laine: I'll go looking for the whole grain peanut butter ... didnt even know whole grain peanut butter existed .. thanks for that .. I'll also have a good look at your diary .. thanks for the suggestions ..

Now that you mention fish I had tilapia last night .. in fact as my diary shows for my dinner according to my family FOR ONCE I decided to deviate away and i've been left feeling tubby :-).. but as I mentioned in one of the responses to one of the posts .. cardio and abs tomorrow before I'm back to my all pro program on Sunday ..
  • AMonari
    Options
    Hi all,

Its been just over two weeks since I discovered my maintainance macros which are i.e. Protein => 132g, Carbs => 413g and Fats => 66g plus having gradually been eating around 2300 calories which isn't too far off from my close to my maintaiance calories i.e. 2415 I'm looking to increase my caloric intake by roughly 200 calories so as to get to a figure of 2500/2600 calories so as to increasing my bulk.

Regarding my training I've completed my first week on the All Pro program (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843) and so far I've enjoyed the challenge. I'm into the 9 reps for the last 2 sets of each routine bit of the program using the same weight levels as in teh previouse phase based on 8 reps.

The transition into 9 rep phase is why I'm posting the above and to also ask if I'm moving in the correct direction

Thanks for any suggestions.

In case your interested here's how I go my maintaiance figure:

To get the above macros figures I used the help of http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Here's a more detailed breakdown:

STEP 1 - FIND BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).:

Basically using the Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate for those who are relatively lean. Use if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

My BMR = 370 + (21.6 * LBM)

My LBM = 66 KG + (100 - 13%) / 100 = 57.42

So my BMR = 370 + (21.6 * 57.42) = 1610.27 CALORIES

STEP 2 - TEE = My BMR * Activity Factor

TEE = 1610 * 1.5 => 2415.40 CALORIES

STEP 3 - Select a goal: Either lose, gain or maintain
    Generally:
    - To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories
    - To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories

Attempt calc for 2 goals:

GOAL 1 - Maintain:
    After step 3 calculation calories remain the same => 2415.40

GOAL 2 - Gain:
    => 10% of 2415.40 = 241.54

Hence to gain based on 10% increment => 2415.40 + 241.54 = 2656.94

SO FOR GOAL 1 - Maintain:

STEP 4 - Macronutrient Needs:

1. Protein:

So - GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on clinical trials suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.4 to 2g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.2 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)

So for me WRT:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.4g to 2g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound):
    LOW END GRAMS/KG VALUES: My weight = 66kg meaning for 1.4g per KG of 66KG my PROTEIN GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 92grams.

HIGH END GRAMS/KG VALUES: My weight = 66kg meaning for 2g per KG of 66KG my PROTEIN GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 132grams.

ENDURANCE training -> 1.2g to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound):
    LOW END GRAMS/KG VALUES: My weight = 66kg meaning for 1.2g per KG of 66KG my PROTEIN GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 79grams.

HIGH END GRAMS/KG VALUES: My weight = 66kg meaning for 1.8g per KG of 66KG my PROTEIN GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 118grams.

General 'bodybuilding' training (same as HIGH END GRAMS/KG VALUES for strength training) -> My weight = 66kg meaning for 2g per KG of 66KG my PROTEIN GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 132grams.

So PROTEIN GOAL: Target should be an DAILY intake of 132 grams OF PROTEIN.

2. Fats:

General guides:
    Average or low bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.4-1g total weight/ pounds]

So for:

0.30g FAT / KG => My weight = 66kg meaning for 1g per KG of 66KG my FAT GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 19grams.

0.40g FAT / KG => My weight = 66kg meaning for 1g per KG of 66KG my FAT GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 26grams.

0.5g FAT / KG => My weight = 66kg meaning for 1g per KG of 66KG my FAT GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 33grams.

1g FAT / KG => My weight = 66kg meaning for 1g per KG of 66KG my FAT GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 66grams.

High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ Kg LEAN weight [between 0.4-1g LEAN weight/ pounds]

Low calorie dieting: You can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.30g/ pound.

So FAT GOAL: Target should be an DAILY intake of 66 grams OF PROTEIN.

3. Carbs:

For 'general gyres':

simply find the calories left over from subtracting fats/ protein from your TEE:

remaining cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams x 4] + [fat grams x 9])
    Therefore grams carbs = (remaining cals)/ 4

REMAINING CALS = 2415.40 - [(132 * 4) + (26 * 9)]
    = 2415.40 - [528 + 234] = 2415.40 - 762
    REMAINING CALS = 1653.40 CALORIES

CARBS GOAL Target = 1653.40 CALORIES / 4 = 413.25g

So for 'general goers' CARBS GOAL Target should be an DAILY intake of 26 grams OF PROTEIN.

OR

For athlete involved in a good volume of training:

Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    My weight = 66kg meaning for 4.5g per KG of 66KG my CARBS GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 297grams.

My weight = 66kg meaning for 5.5g per KG of 66KG my CARBS GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 363grams.

High active: 6.5 - 8.5 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
    My weight = 66kg meaning for 6.5g per KG of 66KG my CARBS GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 429grams.

INTENSE activity: + 8.5g / kg (more than 4g/ pound)
    My weight = 66kg meaning for 8.5g per KG of 66KG my CARBS GRAMS/KG of my weight is: 561grams.

Then find your protein as above normal. Fats then form the remaining cals from your TEE:

remaining cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams x 4] + [fat grams x 9])
    Therefore grams carbs = (remaining cals)/ 4

REMAINING CALS = 2415.40 - [(132 * 4) + (26 * 9)]
    = 2415.40 - [528 + 234] = 2415.40 - 762
    REMAINING CALS = 1653.40 CALORIES

CARBS GOAL Target = 1653.40 CALORIES / 4 = 413.25g

So for 'more than active general goers' CARBS GOAL Target should be an DAILY intake of 413.25 grams OF CARBS.

Thanks.