Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have never heard to bento lunch box

It's fun and not as tough to do as it looks. Grab a tupperware or a gladware and give it a try :smile:

• zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    my bento for today (total 775 cal):

briyani basmati rice,
    aubergine with guilin chilli,
    roasted chicken breast
    and under the seaweed rolled egg is stir fry cabbage with carrots,

for snacks:
    longan,
    grapes,
    chocolate pejoy stick

i tried to make the bunny to look like it is sleeping, but it turn out to look like it was trying very hard to sleep.. (somehow, i have a bunny with insomnia in my bento box) :#
    dgxy2sii68k9.jpg
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For bunny to sleep, try - - as eyes, and ^ as mouth. n___n Or A works, too, open-mouthed sleeping. /draws adorable lil chibi stuff all day
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bunnyxhime wrote: »
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Oh wow, everything is so cute! Cute accessories make bento more fun.
    And that's why I believe in eating with my eyes. If it looks good, and was fun to make, it'll always taste better
    bunnyxhime wrote: »
    I think I have the same owl on the way teehee.
    I ordered a pink one and a yellow one >__< why are these owl bentos soooo kawaii?
    I've always been an owl fan. Most of my coffee cups and stuff have owls on them. The only worry I have about this box is that it's a lot bigger than my others, and I don't want to have the compulsion to fill it when it'll be too much food.

I was so tired when I got home last night that I completely forgot to make my bento. I also forgot to post the pic from yesterdays, so here it is. My go-to quick bento, the smoked salmon flower bento
    boa4cirwvg62.jpg

Sooooo lovely. Your smoked salmon flowers are so intricate!
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    For bunny to sleep, try - - as eyes, and ^ as mouth. n___n Or A works, too, open-mouthed sleeping. /draws adorable lil chibi stuff all day

Thank you! ill definitely do this!!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »
    my bento for today (total 775 cal):

briyani basmati rice,
    aubergine with guilin chilli,
    roasted chicken breast
    and under the seaweed rolled egg is stir fry cabbage with carrots,

for snacks:
    longan,
    grapes,
    chocolate pejoy stick

i tried to make the bunny to look like it is sleeping, but it turn out to look like it was trying very hard to sleep.. (somehow, i have a bunny with insomnia in my bento box) :#
    dgxy2sii68k9.jpg

I love the pejoy sticks! The red wine chocolate one is my fav.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    First bento with Penguin. It's cute and definitely helps with portion control. Could only use half the microwave minute rice. The sauce bins are too small for the panda cooks so I just tried using the separators and hopeful that works out well, or I'll have soggy cookies, but oh well. Lunch for at work on freight day is: minute jasmine rice, lentil and potato curry with curry seasoned chicken, a babybel gouda and 4 hello panda cookies. Also have a rockstar protein drink as I wanted to try it and am having a day where I eat some dairy. Not counting rockstar it comes to just over 450.

katn5r6808oz.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Today I have a great example of how the idea of a 'prepped stash' of food for Bento's makes some days easier. Having your pre-made 'stash' of goodies should be a necessity for any bento-er. It might mean 1 or 2 hours pottering about in the kitchen every second weekend, but it's worth it. I cook a batch of rice each week (which really doesn't need that much of my attention), pre-weigh it and freeze it in clingfilm or ziplock bags, and usually pick up one or two proteins on sale, cook them and freeze them.

On Sunday this week I decided for the first time to pre-cut a whole heap of veg for the week and pop them in a large tupperware box ready for use during the week for my Bento's. Last night after coming home grumpy and hungry, I stuffed my face, fell into a food coma and went to bed early. There's no bento making in last night's list of activities there.

In the morning I grabbed a frozen packet of rice and beef soboro, piled some veg into my microwavable sistema cup, threw everything in my freezer bag and headed out the door. 3 minutes of steaming veg in the microwave at work, with the last minute including the rice and soboro and my lunch was done. I knew I had 160g of veg, and the soboro and rice is pre-portioned, so I knew exactly how much was in there. Not as neat as my normal ones, but still tasty, bright and pretty:
    a6k58sc1u0dr.jpg
    If most of my normal boxes were microwavable, I could have used those and know that without even thinking bhat everything will fit in the box, and what the cals will be so I can I log without difficulty. Even without a microwave, the rice and soboro had defrosted to room temp, and I would have had fresh raw veg for lunch.

Also, this way I won't be tempted to walk down the street and grab some fish & chips ;)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Nice tip. I tend to make mine the day of instead of night before but that's because I work afternoon/evening and rarely ever have a morning shift. But it does help to have stuff made ahead of time, for sure. Showed my coworker's my bento box today, that was fun. One asked about bento and then turns out she'd never heard of Hello Panda cookies, so I showed her the ones I'd packed. I may get her a box next time I'm in the store. I may shop tomorrow and try to pick out a rice.

Also, cause it was fun. I took a picture of one of my Hello Panda cookies. They had sports images printed on them. This one is lifting weights (dumbbells).

a2vk5aspk814.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Today I have a great example of how the idea of a 'prepped stash' of food for Bento's makes some days easier. Having your pre-made 'stash' of goodies should be a necessity for any bento-er. It might mean 1 or 2 hours pottering about in the kitchen every second weekend, but it's worth it. I cook a batch of rice each week (which really doesn't need that much of my attention), pre-weigh it and freeze it in clingfilm or ziplock bags, and usually pick up one or two proteins on sale, cook them and freeze them.

On Sunday this week I decided for the first time to pre-cut a whole heap of veg for the week and pop them in a large tupperware box ready for use during the week for my Bento's. Last night after coming home grumpy and hungry, I stuffed my face, fell into a food coma and went to bed early. There's no bento making in last night's list of activities there.

In the morning I grabbed a frozen packet of rice and beef soboro, piled some veg into my microwavable sistema cup, threw everything in my freezer bag and headed out the door. 3 minutes of steaming veg in the microwave at work, with the last minute including the rice and soboro and my lunch was done. I knew I had 160g of veg, and the soboro and rice is pre-portioned, so I knew exactly how much was in there. Not as neat as my normal ones, but still tasty, bright and pretty:
    a6k58sc1u0dr.jpg
    If most of my normal boxes were microwavable, I could have used those and know that without even thinking bhat everything will fit in the box, and what the cals will be so I can I log without difficulty. Even without a microwave, the rice and soboro had defrosted to room temp, and I would have had fresh raw veg for lunch.

Also, this way I won't be tempted to walk down the street and grab some fish & chips ;)

This is the best tip ever. Making my rice stash helped tremendously, and I was able to stop buying the pre-made microwave rice. Pre-measured means I don't have to think about it, just nuke and pack. I haven't got up to making the meat and veg stash yet, but I hope to someday get that organized. Husband mentioned he hadn't seen me make bento in a while and when i told him that our schedules were too messed up for it right now, he said he's going to figure something out so I can make my "cute" lunches again. And I think he wants bento again too... :naughty:
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I needed a comfort food bento today. I didn't bother counting calories. I'm just feeling kind of bummed and just generally down today.

jroqmlrhfcxh.jpg

Champagne grapes, baba ganoush, pretzel crisps, babybel cheese, leftover stir fried veggies, mac and cheese.
    image.jpg 1004.9K
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I needed a comfort food bento today. I didn't bother counting calories. I'm just feeling kind of bummed and just generally down today.

jroqmlrhfcxh.jpg

Champagne grapes, baba ganoush, pretzel crisps, babybel cheese, leftover stir fried veggies, mac and cheese.

Sorry to hear you are feeling down today ): Your bento looks so colorful and delicious however!!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yay, just caught up!! So school starts again, well has started, we moved, and things are starting to settle down for us. So back to bento boxes! I need to buy more, so I can make some for kids and myself at night (we all stay at home). Might make the days easier, plus low low calories for me for a while. Love all the wonderful lunches/breakfast!
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    H
    Narcissora wrote: »

jroqmlrhfcxh.jpg

Hope you feel better soon. You have made me fancy mac and cheese now :)
  • Bananahat
    Bananahat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a lurker, I think this might even be my first post. But I just had to tell you guys... It took a week to read the entire thread, but thats OK, because today my Bento boxes and the Just Bento Cookbook arrived and I'm very much inspired to start bento-ing Monday.

So thank you everyone, for the inspiration, the recipes and the fun I'm already having!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bananahat wrote: »
    I'm a lurker, I think this might even be my first post. But I just had to tell you guys... It took a week to read the entire thread, but thats OK, because today my Bento boxes and the Just Bento Cookbook arrived and I'm very much inspired to start bento-ing Monday.

So thank you everyone, for the inspiration, the recipes and the fun I'm already having!

I used a recipe from Just Bento for the mini burgers I made for my bentos last week. They were super good! I recommend trying them out! Just make sure to mince up the onion into pretty small chunks. I left mine a little too large, and it was rough getting the tiny burgers all shaped right with big chunks of onion everywhere.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    More leftover curry, but no chicken this time. Just the lentils, potato and onion curry on the leftover half bit of rice from last time. Also have kiwi slices and two strawberry mochi. Though after taking the picture I switched which was in the middle and bottom containers. The head has more room cause of the way the top is, so the curry fits better there. Just over 400 calories today.

hb4zj2g797ei.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Bananahat wrote: »

Another one comes out into the bento kitchen instead of hiding in the weird rustling bush by the window
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Another one comes out into the bento kitchen instead of hiding in the weird rustling bush by the window

OMG !!!!!! I'm laughing so hard ! I hope you're a writer; the talent I see.
  • mangrothian
    Options

OMG !!!!!! I'm laughing so hard ! I hope you're a writer; the talent I see.

Nope, just a weirdo who reads too much. I typed a nice long post on my phone this morning along with that line, but mfp in all of it's infinite wisdom decided to not include :( Sad panda...

But anyway, Monday bento: marinated panko coated chicken with the usual sides (540 Cal)
    6b4c1ye0qk0u.jpg