Grocery store nightmare

Options
Is the grocery store a nightmare for you too? Its not surprising at all that so many people are overweight. Every corner you look around is designed to lure you into buying something unhealthy! All of the junk food is cheap and easy to cook. You actually have to search out the healthy options. The more I discover about what's in the food we eat is just crazy. I feel like I have to force myself into tunnel vision just to get through the store. Don't look around too much or you might see something calling to you. O.O Anyone else have this problem or realization?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Nope. But then again I eat all of these "bad" foods and I've lost 27 lbs, because food doesn't make people fat. Eating too much of ANY food makes people fat.

And "healthy" is subjective and changes throughout history, as well as general physical health being based on diet context and not the individual foods you eat.
  • melifairy
    melifairy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you can eat all these bad foods and still lose weight. I hope to be able to do that someday too. :) I guess my main point was, all the advertisements and the way they position things in the store is to get you to buy the unhealthy stuff. Why don't they make it harder to find the "bad" stuff and easier to find the good stuff? :)
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Nope. But then again I eat all of these "bad" foods and I've lost 27 lbs, because food doesn't make people fat. Eating too much of ANY food makes people fat.

And "healthy" is subjective and changes throughout history, as well as general physical health being based on diet context and not the individual foods you eat.

It doesn't matter how much vegetables and fruit you eat..it won't make you fat at all. Eating processed chemical junk, excess oil and dairy can however make you fat!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hm. I have a pretty good idea of what is "healthy" (in the stereotypical sense) and what is "not." I don't have trouble finding the good options. A general guide is "shop around the outside of the store"--produce, meats, dairy--instead of up and down the aisles. Nutrition data is right there on the products even if I didn't know.

However.

I have several trigger foods, by which I means foods that I cannot keep in the house or I will eat the whole thing in <12 hours. Sometimes the entire thing in the car on the way home. These foods are very yummy and I like them very much. Every time, it is a struggle not to buy them.

Sometimes I let myself buy ONE thing. That keeps me going on the days I don't buy any of them. Sort of. I spend most of my shopping trips debating with myself whether I can have anything, what I can have.

Every now and then I test it out to see whether I can keep any of them in the house. I'm not there yet.

Shopping is stressful.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    melifairy wrote: »
    I'm glad you can eat all these bad foods and still lose weight. I hope to be able to do that someday too. :) I guess my main point was, all the advertisements and the way they position things in the store is to get you to buy the unhealthy stuff. Why don't they make it harder to find the "bad" stuff and easier to find the good stuff? :)

It is done that way to make money. It can be cheaper to buy some junk food just like it can be cheaper to buy some healthy food. However, most of the healthy food that I like is the most expensive stuff in the store. I like candy, I used to buy a lot of it. I found that eating or drinking something sweet right before I go to the store or while I am on my way to the store, like a soda, a slushy (frozen soda), a donut, or ice-cream helped me not to buy every delicious high sugared food people call unhealthy I came across in the store. Kind of like the don't go to the store when you are hungry thing.
  • ana3067
    Options

It doesn't matter how much vegetables and fruit you eat..it won't make you fat at all. Eating processed chemical junk, excess oil and dairy can however make you fat!

So I haven't lost 27lbs despite eating "junk" food this entire time? Damn!

Seriously. You need to stop.

BalCalories2.png
  • ana3067
    Options

Why bother hiding it and making it more difficult to find food that is perfectly fine to eat? You can also eat all these "bad" foods because CICO. Although you will probably have an easier time practicing true moderation if you stop looking at food as being good or bad, based on the many experiences of lots of users here who have been successful in their goals.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    No. Variety is good.

You use a lot of conspiratorial language.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    As long as I don't go shopping when I am hungry (this is so very bad for me) I do really good at not buying things that aren't on my list. I personally don't use it, but two of my local stores have where you can grocery shop online, then at the designated time, pull up to a pick up section and get your groceries without ever having to step foot in the store. If you find that shopping is to stressful or you can't seem to avoid buying things you don't want to buy, see if your local store offers that type of service.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Nightmare?

How dramatic.

Now, my grocery store is just a repository of items I may choose to purchase, or not.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

lulz. You have some learnin' to do.

xk1miqsd4m6f.gif
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Couldn't be more wrong. Health is complicated, weight loss is not. Weight loss is just physics. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. If you fewer calories than you take in, you will gain weight. That is literally the only factor in weight loss.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

^ You have a long way to go, and a lot to learn.

There is no BAD food. Food is food - it is time to start breaking that fad diet mentality and look at food for what it is. There will always be someone who has an opinion on anything you eat, next year - I bet protein will be the next "evil culprit to all of our fat problems".

Grocery stores do not care about your health - they care about your money. They also should not have to spell it out for you...you might have to reach a little higher on the shelf...or spend more time in the produce section...but eventually, if you put focus and determination you will find the "healthy" stuff (no they are not hiding it all behind the "bad foods")

I have lost 90lbs - No fads, no eliminations...I LOVE CARBS, SUGAR AND OMG....GLUTEN!! (drool!)

ETA - Dr. Oz can shove it!
  • I am losing weight, although I'm mostly consuming junk. I believe that what's meant by the terminology of bad foods, is that because it's so high in Calories, etc., it requires extra restriction unlike broccoli; in order to not gain weight from it. Like it isn't typically satisfying to for me to eat just one cookie in 2 bites, when it actually takes me consuming 4 cookies in 8 bites; to be content.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I always go when I'm not hungry and I had a satisfying meal, that's the main thing. I actually like looking at new products.

Tip = stick to the outside of the store, that's where the non packaged stuff is. You don't HAVE to go through the isles of cookies or chips.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    To OP,
    No, I can't say I feel the same. When I go to the grocery store, I'm in control, not the advertisements. It's just a place to buy groceries.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Not for me. I always go when I'm not hungry and I had a satisfying meal, that's the main thing. I actually like looking at new products.

Tip = stick to the outside of the store, that's where the non packaged stuff is. You don't HAVE to go through the isles of cookies or chips.

This. Good tips. And I agree that it is possible to lose weight eating whatever, but if there are trigger foods for you you may need to limit them until you learn to eat them on moderation?

And the store is a nightmare for me, but for different reasons. I end up with anxiety attacks from all the people, and there are times I just have to leave. Honestly, I'd rather have your problem...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is the grocery store a nightmare for you too? Its not surprising at all that so many people are overweight. Every corner you look around is designed to lure you into buying something unhealthy! All of the junk food is cheap and easy to cook. You actually have to search out the healthy options. The more I discover about what's in the food we eat is just crazy. I feel like I have to force myself into tunnel vision just to get through the store. Don't look around too much or you might see something calling to you. O.O Anyone else have this problem or realization?

Not at all. I guess the "junk food" if I am correct in what you are calling that mostly doesn't appeal to me that much. I do like that they have better brands of ice cream than they used to and especially like that WF has Jeni's (as well as all kinds of silly stuff I don't buy and plenty of delicious stuff I do), but when people claim it's hard to find the healthy stuff in their groceries I wonder if theirs are really so different from mine. I mean, obviously the WF is overpriced and tries to make their expensive veggies and fruit and fish and so on look delicious (and I fall for it from time to time), but even my mainstream grocery that I go to more often than not opens into the produce section and has beautifully arranged produce clearly designed to appeal, and a perfectly convenient and nice looking meat and dairy section (although I have personal issues about a lot of supermarket meat). Even before I was trying to lose weight it was easy enough to walk past the aisles I wasn't interested in (cereal and chips and candy and such, or anything frozen other than berries, veggies, and ice cream) to grab the few things I wanted (oil, vinegar, oatmeal, dried pasta, dried beans, baking stuff if so inclined, so on) and go to the drug store section which in mine is part of the grocery store on the other side of this stuff.

The supermarket really has no power to make people buy anything they don't want to, any more than WF has the power to make me buy silly supplements or their version of convenience foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Going when not hungry is really excellent advice, however.
  • ljohnson216
    ljohnson216 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used to have a harder time food shopping until I changed how I thought about it. Instead of rushing into the store to get what I need and get out I made more time to browse the aisles. I found that shopping with my kids to be a very bad idea (on so many levels). And instead of focusing on all of the things I shouldn't eat I tried to get excited to find new things that I could. It takes more time, and admittedly I am a total geek, but it's worked for me. After a while the displays and ads become like tv commercials... Just background noise.