The Truth about Calorie Restriction

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rebeccaxf wrote: »
    jvt63 wrote: »
    a lot of you ARE mean people. mocking someone pointing it out doesn't change that.

Yeah, it's a PERSON, not a post.
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Wow..... the amount of flaming and general rudeness in the replies is astounding. Agree or disagree the OP, whatever happened to respectful discussion?!

Welcome to the internet.

Well, if other people do it, then by all means, carry on. ::eyeroll::

No one has been mean.

Pointing out fallacious thinking isn't mean. Disagreeing isn't mean.

Too bad I gave up playing guitar when I was younger. I'd offer to start strumming Kumbaya for you.

• JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    Options
    I actually just had this conversation with a friend of mine... I find it funny how people who dont have much drive or self disipline will use whatever they can to justify not putting in the work, staying the course and settling for only moderate success.... this includes CICO and other irrational concepts and studies...
    Look folks... its not just calories.. its also about the content of what you eat... You're comparison is the same as comparing AM PM Gas to Aviation Jet Fuel.. true they are both gas and have the ability to run your car.. but Aviation Fuel is far stronger and provides much more energy...
    So you can eat your pizza and feel lethargic and like crap after you do.. and I'll eat my veggies , brown rice and chicken... and have energy to run 5 miles...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's especially annoying when someone takes the time to type out a huge post, and then doesn't bother coming back....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I actually just had this conversation with a friend of mine... I find it funny how people who dont have much drive or self disipline will use whatever they can to justify not putting in the work, staying the course and settling for only moderate success.... this includes CICO and other irrational concepts and studies...
    Look folks... its not just calories.. its also about the content of what you eat... You're comparison is the same as comparing AM PM Gas to Aviation Jet Fuel.. true they are both gas and have the ability to run your car.. but Aviation Fuel is far stronger and provides much more energy...
    So you can eat your pizza and feel lethargic and like crap after you do.. and I'll eat my veggies , brown rice and chicken... and have energy to run 5 miles...

I eat pizza and run well over 5 miles... doesn't that negate your comment?

Also, Aviation Jet Fuel is not gas. Sorry.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

You know how I know you don't know very many athletes........
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Brb, filling up my tank with jet fuel.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

You know how I know you don't know very many athletes........

Robert-Downey-Jr-laughing.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ayan ,

Weight loss is about eating less calories than you burn (calorie restriction), whether you are actively counting those calories or not. The only thing type of diet has to do with weight loss is if that particular diet helps you to eat less calories, which is often done through choosing lower calorie foods. It sounds like you believe vegan is the diet for you do do this, which is wonderful. However, there is nothing wrong with carbs, sugar, meat, or any other type of food.

Could it be that you were eating more than you realized and that's why you were gaining and/or maintaining?

Have you read up on the Minnesota Starvation Experiment? Starvation mode as to the common dieter is a myth. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    a lot of you ARE mean people. mocking someone pointing it out doesn't change that.

Yeah, it's a PERSON, not a post.
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Wow..... the amount of flaming and general rudeness in the replies is astounding. Agree or disagree the OP, whatever happened to respectful discussion?!

Welcome to the internet.

Well, if other people do it, then by all means, carry on. ::eyeroll::

Um, no. It's the post being mocked.

"Your comment is stupid" != "You are stupid".

Besides, who actually bothers to have a respectful discussion when the other side of the argument is so obviously wrong it is ridiculous? I mean, maybe if the other side happens to be your boss and you want to keep your job ... but otherwise?
  • FourthChakra
    FourthChakra Posts: 12 Member
    Options

OP is spewing misformation while claiming "SCIENCE" and absolute truths, and yet ignores the responses from people discussing/pointing out the fallacies in their post. So yeah, I can understand the slight mocking tone people in this thread might have.

872gm2av2uf8.gif
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

I lost 55 pounds so far and last Saturday I ate my calories Reese's Pieces...then magically had the energy to do 90 minutes of Pilates.

So you can stick with your chicken and brown rice if that makes you happy. But I choose Reese's B)

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Why is it that these drive-by word explosions don't have follow up?

I can see our young and righteous twenty year old thinking "hah, hah, I told them!"

Such hubris and absence of openness to criticism is an example of an unexamined life.
    Poor Socrates.

I think where the OP is at is pretty normal for 20 year olds.

Don't you remember when you were young and knew everything? :D

If you could have heard my mother back then.
    Apparently I was pretty insufferable.
    Four years later I had a degree in insufferable and the volume set to 11.

The biggest difference now is I don't care enough to have a dog in these paper bag arguments.
    Invariably some good soul comes along and deconstructs, point by point, these "Truth" threads.

I'm here for the pearl clutching and teeth knashing.

Aren't we all here for the sane thing?
  • Akeche
    Akeche Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unsurprisingly the quack hasn't bothered to reply to anyone in the thread because they have nothing to actually argue against hard cold facts.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

So, you can't eat chicken, brown rice, veggies, and pizza?

Really?

This thread just keeps getting better and better. It really does have it all.

Now we can tick off the a calorie is not a calorie square.

• avshwartz
    avshwartz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yay! Somebody who understands what i understand! Diets are stupid. Eat whole foods. Cut out junk like dairy, meat and gluten. Carb the *kitten* up and feel better than ever!
    Ps. You're advocating for this lifestyle in the wrong place. These people dont want to hear that there's another way besides calorie restriction!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I thought I was being pretty nice by resisting the urge to post a gif on page one of the thread. o:)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    avshwartz wrote: »
    Yay! Somebody who understands what i understand! Diets are stupid. Eat whole foods. Cut out junk like dairy, meat and gluten. Carb the *kitten* up and feel better than ever!
    Ps. You're advocating for this lifestyle in the wrong place. These people dont want to hear that there's another way besides calorie restriction!

So if you eat over your TDEE eating only "whole" foods, you won't gain weight?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

So, you can't eat chicken, brown rice, veggies, and pizza?

Really?

This thread just keeps getting better and better. It really does have it all.

Now we can tick off the a calorie is not a calorie square.

Well, we hit on 'starvation mode' (on 1400 calories a day) so it was only a matter of time...

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Why is it that these drive-by word explosions don't have follow up?

I can see our young and righteous twenty year old thinking "hah, hah, I told them!"

Such hubris and absence of openness to criticism is an example of an unexamined life.
    Poor Socrates.

I think where the OP is at is pretty normal for 20 year olds.

Don't you remember when you were young and knew everything? :D

If you could have heard my mother back then.
    Apparently I was pretty insufferable.
    Four years later I had a degree in insufferable and the volume set to 11.

The biggest difference now is I don't care enough to have a dog in these paper bag arguments.
    Invariably some good soul comes along and deconstructs, point by point, these "Truth" threads.

I'm here for the pearl clutching and teeth knashing.

Aren't we all here for the sane thing?

Yup. I'm here with my bingo marker.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    avshwartz wrote: »

Strong first post.

BINGO!!
This discussion has been closed.