The Truth about Calorie Restriction

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    avshwartz wrote: »
    Yay! Somebody who understands what i understand! Diets are stupid. Eat whole foods. Cut out junk like dairy, meat and gluten. Carb the *kitten* up and feel better than ever!
    Ps. You're advocating for this lifestyle in the wrong place. These people dont want to hear that there's another way besides calorie restriction!

So if you eat over your TDEE eating only "whole" foods, you won't gain weight?

Yup! I dont watch my calories, but my guess would be around 2000, instead of the recommended 1200, and ive lost 30lbs.
    Basically, i eat as much as i feel like and listen to my body. Sometimes i crave only light veggies and fruit, and sometimes lots of starches.

Your TDEE is the number of calories your body needs to maintain it's current weight. It's not the same thing as the number of calories you're recommended in order to lose weight.

• determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I feel like someone made a new profile to back themselves up.....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

*nod nods* At least one if not two :laugh:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

*nod nods* At least one if not two :laugh:

Pssh, that never happens...

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yay! Somebody who understands what i understand! Diets are stupid. Eat whole foods. Cut out junk like dairy, meat and gluten. Carb the *kitten* up and feel better than ever!
    Ps. You're advocating for this lifestyle in the wrong place. These people dont want to hear that there's another way besides calorie restriction!

Yup! I dont watch my calories, but my guess would be around 2000, instead of the recommended 1200, and ive lost 30lbs.
    Basically, i eat as much as i feel like and listen to my body. Sometimes i crave only light veggies and fruit, and sometimes lots of starches.

1200 is recommended by MFP. That doesn't mean that is your maintenance calories. You do not eat above your maintenance and don't gain weight.

1200 is the recommended minimum for a sedentary person. Not a recommended intake for every person.

• wizzybeth
    Options

Agree

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

1200 is recommended by MFP. That doesn't mean that is your maintenance calories. You do not eat above your maintenance and don't gain weight.

1200 is the recommended minimum for a sedentary person. Not a recommended intake for every person.

I'm assuming she put in sedentary? Not sure what you are trying to clear up for me. She is the one that said 1200 was recommended. Not I.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ayanasioux wrote: »
    Now here is the science behind all of this.

The human body uses food as energy. An adult needs at least 2000 calories to adequately function daily in order to be healthy. Anything lower than that is considered starvation according the world health organization. The reason we all lose weight by restricting our calories is because we are going through starvation, and the body uses long term energy sources (fat) to replace the calorie deficient. When the body gets to a point where if feels like its losing too much emergency energy sources, not only does it begin to hold on to every source, it will try to replenish it once the individual eats more. The individual is destined to eat more because it knows that it is being starved and needs more energy. The brain will send you signals to eat certain things and to eat more of it. That is why we have undyingly strong cravings for a food. This is why I binged. This is why most people binge. Your body will only take but so much abuse before it goes into that mode. 2000 calories gives the body enough energy to sustain a healthy weight and to lose weight if you're over your healthy weight.

You are suggesting every single person needs 2000 calories? Really?

Like, no one needs less and no one needs more, just, 2000 is perfect for everyone? :neutral_face:

I think that's the general concensus. In the 'fasting rule book,' they say women should eat 1/4 of their regular calories on fast days. Which is 500 calories taken from the generic 2000 calorie. It must be written somewhere that all women shouldn't go below 2000 calories?? I know I'd pack on the weight eating that much everyday!

I'm losing eating more than 2000 B)

I know, Everytime I read that I think "you suck Ana"!! :wink: :heart: xx
    You exercise a lot more than me. I reckon I could maybe eat that many calories if I got off my *kitten* and started an exercise program

lol that probably does help. I'm also a bit heavier than you too. Go out for a walk or something every night for abit more food! Foooood
  • avshwartz
    avshwartz Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Can you please explain the physics behind this?

*Also, 1200 calories is not "recommended" across the board. This is the minimum that anyone should ever be eating. Most people should be eating more calories than that.

Sorry, my mistake. To lose weight, it is recommended for my to eat 1200. I eat anywhere between 2000-3000 depending on how i feel.
    If you look into 'the starch solution' all the research is there.
    To me, it just makes sense. Im fuelling my body and brain with glucose, without sugar rushes/crashes because of the natural fibre. Im getting in waaay more nutrition because of all the fruits and vegs, which heals my body and makes it work more efficiently
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Honestly, I skimmed until I got to the inevitable: "Now, I'm not telling anyone what to do, but..."
    I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but I will tell you want I'm going to do. I will no longer fall for the propaganda that carbs make you fat.

Okay, I'm with you. Carbs don't make us fat! Yay!
    Calorie restriction has made me fat.

What? no.
    Fat has made me fat.

Really, no.
    For now I'm going to document my journey on a high carb, low fat, plant based diet in hopes of not only losing weight, but to forever get off of the roller coaster of crash dieting and binge eating and starvation and etc.

I honestly wish you luck finding the right journey for yourself. But I'm not with you on this one.
    From what I recall those higher carb diets are more likely to contribute to weight gain anyways, likely due to lowered satiety and thus eating more food. Pretty sure that my old fat-self diet was much higher carb and lower fat/protien than it is now haha.

So you're lower carb. But not low carb. By your standards.
    I eat 200+g of carbs. Compared to when I probably ate 400-500+g of carbs while gaining weight, yeah, I'm lower carb.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Because you said 1200 is recommended by MFP. But it's not recommended for everyone and it's the minimum. That's all.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself: lots of binging. That, not calorie restriction sent your weight back up. Dug.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    Okay, I'm sucked in.

"An adult needs at least 2000 calories to adequately function daily in order to be healthy. Anything lower than that is considered starvation according the world health organization."

Please provide a source for the "adults need at least 2000 calories" claim. Articles that state it as a fact with no referencing do not count. The WHO recommends eating at an energy balance.
    As a population measure, WHO does indeed say that per capita consumption of 2000 calories is insufficient--an indicator of not enough food available in the country or region being analyzed. It's a correlation. In no way should that be misinterpreted as an individual recommendation.
    Or perhaps you are referring to the "in a 2000 calorie diet" reference in nutrition facts panels? Also not a recommendation or a minimum requirement for health. It is a benchmark for average consumption.

Sounds strangely familiar today, doesn't it!

Serious deja vu :noway:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Because you said 1200 is recommended by MFP. But it's not recommended for everyone and it's the minimum. That's all.

I'm not gonna get in a pissing match with you, but did you even read the quote that I quoted? She said that 1200 was recommended. I was telling her that the recommended 1200 was from MFP, but it wasn't her TDEE. Do you even reading comprehend, bro?
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know how I would have lost weight without dairy, meat, and some other 'non-whole' foods. I've enjoyed a Snickers almost every day on the side of my diet, and now have these weird "fat chunks" that organize themselves in groups of six on my torso.

So strange.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

*Also, 1200 calories is not "recommended" across the board. This is the minimum that anyone should ever be eating. Most people should be eating more calories than that.

Sorry, my mistake. To lose weight, it is recommended for my to eat 1200. I eat anywhere between 2000-3000 depending on how i feel.
    If you look into 'the starch solution' all the research is there.
    To me, it just makes sense. Im fuelling my body and brain with glucose, without sugar rushes/crashes because of the natural fibre. Im getting in waaay more nutrition because of all the fruits and vegs, which heals my body and makes it work more efficiently

So my TDEE is around 2100 calories. I am eating around 1700 to lose a pound a week. If I were to eat 3000 calories cutting out gluten, meat, and dairy, I would still gain weight.

You are counting incorrectly. You are not a special snowflake. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. That is the way our bodies work. We are just giant, breathing, farting, chemistry machines.

• ana3067
    Options

......... you just described a diet, as that will most likely result in initial calorie restriction while restricting foods you love.

Calorie restriction IS the only way to lose weight. What you eat is irrelevant to that, and the combination of proper caloric adherence and eating foods you enjoy = your lifelong dietary lifestyle
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I eat anywhere between 2000-3000 depending on how i feel.

Wait...so you DO count calories? Or do you just spin the wheel of fortune and declare whatever number comes up to be how many calories you ate that day?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP I think you are a vegan robot trying to start some kind of movement
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm not gonna get in a pissing match with you, but did you even read the quote that I quoted? She said that 1200 was recommended. I was telling her that the recommended 1200 was from MFP, but it wasn't her TDEE. Do you even reading comprehend, bro?

Yes I read it. I do reading comprehend, how about you, sis?

I just wanted to expand upon your comment for clarity, because I felt it was a little incomplete. Ok sis?

This discussion has been closed.