The Truth about Calorie Restriction

Options

Replies

• avshwartz
    avshwartz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel like someone made a new profile to back themselves up.....

That would be funny. But no, i just stumbled upon this thread and felt like i should back this girl up since she was getting so much hate
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I lost 30-40kg using energy restrictions. Unsure how much cause my scales didn't go high enough

I don't feel like I'm starving, no more than I did when I was eating 10k kj or more a day
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    avshwartz wrote: »

That would be funny. But no, i just stumbled upon this thread and felt like i should back this girl up since she was getting so much hate

No one is hating on the girl that posted this topic. People are correcting misinformation to help lurkers who may take what she said to heart.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Yay! Somebody who understands what i understand! Diets are stupid. Eat whole foods. Cut out junk like dairy, meat and gluten. Carb the *kitten* up and feel better than ever!
    Ps. You're advocating for this lifestyle in the wrong place. These people dont want to hear that there's another way besides calorie restriction!

You do understand that by replacing certain foods with ones that are less calorie or/and nutrient dense, you are eating less than you were which is still calorie restricting, right?
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Yay! Somebody who understands what i understand! Diets are stupid. Eat whole foods. Cut out junk like dairy, meat and gluten. Carb the *kitten* up and feel better than ever!
    Ps. You're advocating for this lifestyle in the wrong place. These people dont want to hear that there's another way besides calorie restriction!

You do understand that by replacing certain foods with ones that are less calorie or/and nutrient dense, you are eating less than you were which is still calorie restricting, right?

Well if eating 5 bananas plus dates for breakfast is calorie restricting... Then im doing it wrong

It IS calorie restriction.

Calorie restriction = restricting your calories.
    Restriction = the limitation or control of someone or something, or the state of being limited or restricted.

I feel so sad for your brain right now, sorry not sorry.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone always hate on pizza? It's actually a really good meal with a decent macro breakdown depending on what your toppings are.

That's all I have to contribute.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Interesting...I eat primarily whole foods and meals prepared from whole food ingredients...I have successfully lost weight, maintained weight, and done a bulk and cut cycle...with the difference between those objectives being the amount of calories I'm eating.

So how is it possible in your world that I was able to bulk on weight eating a diet rich in whole food nutrition.

Also, since when are dairy, meat, and gluten "junk"? Gluten exists in whole foods...meat is a whole food...dairy products are whole foods or otherwise derived from such.

By whole foods i meant whole plant foods. The reasom why you bulked up is because you ate a lot of fat most likely. Fat is not bad if it comes from plants and in moderation. But my guess is that it didnt.

And since you're grasping at every word i use or misuse, dairy, meat and gluten are generally not favoured by the body of most people. It causes stagnation and intolerant reactions that you wont immediately see but will affect you in the long term.

Please cite your source for and explain exactly what are "stagnation" and "intolerant" reactions.

• ana3067
    Options

Interesting how, while you are posting, she is nowhere to be seen...........
    tumblr_m479w3yGmv1ql7ggvo4_400.gif
    conspiracy.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

So if you eat over your TDEE eating only "whole" foods, you won't gain weight?

Yup! I dont watch my calories, but my guess would be around 2000, instead of the recommended 1200, and ive lost 30lbs.
    Basically, i eat as much as i feel like and listen to my body. Sometimes i crave only light veggies and fruit, and sometimes lots of starches.

Can you please explain the physics behind this?

*Also, 1200 calories is not "recommended" across the board. This is the minimum that anyone should ever be eating. Most people should be eating more calories than that.

Sorry, my mistake. To lose weight, it is recommended for my to eat 1200. I eat anywhere between 2000-3000 depending on how i feel.
    If you look into 'the starch solution' all the research is there.
    To me, it just makes sense. Im fuelling my body and brain with glucose, without sugar rushes/crashes because of the natural fibre. Im getting in waaay more nutrition because of all the fruits and vegs, which heals my body and makes it work more efficiently

So my TDEE is around 2100 calories. I am eating around 1700 to lose a pound a week. If I were to eat 3000 calories cutting out gluten, meat, and dairy, I would still gain weight.

You are counting incorrectly. You are not a special snowflake. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. That is the way our bodies work. We are just giant, breathing, farting, chemistry machines.

Apparently not according to Dr. McDougall. This is fabulous (and SO Susan Powter):
    While easily providing the abundance of calories needed for winning marathons, starches do not promote excess weight gain. That is because the human body efficiently regulates carbohydrates from starches, burning them off, rather than storing them, when consumed in excess. How effective is our body’s regulation? Obesity has been unknown among billions of Asians with a wide variety of activity levels who have followed traditional diets based on rice. However, these people’s immunity immediately disappears when they switch to meals based on meat and dairy foods, because the human body unsuccessfully balances for excess fat consumption—storing these calories in the abdomen, buttocks, and thighs. The fat you eat is the fat you wear.

I really want a cage match between one of the disciples of this guy and one of the low carb gurus who likes to talk about how carbs get stored as fat, even in a deficit.

It would be an epic battle of who is the most annoying
  • avshwartz
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Interesting...I eat primarily whole foods and meals prepared from whole food ingredients...I have successfully lost weight, maintained weight, and done a bulk and cut cycle...with the difference between those objectives being the amount of calories I'm eating.

So how is it possible in your world that I was able to bulk on weight eating a diet rich in whole food nutrition.

Also, since when are dairy, meat, and gluten "junk"? Gluten exists in whole foods...meat is a whole food...dairy products are whole foods or otherwise derived from such.

By whole foods i meant whole plant foods. The reasom why you bulked up is because you ate a lot of fat most likely. Fat is not bad if it comes from plants and in moderation. But my guess is that it didnt.

And since you're grasping at every word i use or misuse, dairy, meat and gluten are generally not favoured by the body of most people. It causes stagnation and intolerant reactions that you wont immediately see but will affect you in the long term.

...............................................................................................................................................

tumblr_inline_mwl1ogkIXT1qg94cj.gif

Also please provide a reference list from which you are spouting these bits of information. I'm going to guess they will be Google hits pulled from your butt.

When i first got a glimps of this lifestyle, i did a ton of research for months to figure out whether this is right or not for me. Im not gonna do the work for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I skimmed until I got to the inevitable: "Now, I'm not telling anyone what to do, but..."
    I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but I will tell you want I'm going to do. I will no longer fall for the propaganda that carbs make you fat.

Okay, I'm with you. Carbs don't make us fat! Yay!
    Calorie restriction has made me fat.

What? no.
    Fat has made me fat.

Really, no.
    For now I'm going to document my journey on a high carb, low fat, plant based diet in hopes of not only losing weight, but to forever get off of the roller coaster of crash dieting and binge eating and starvation and etc.

I honestly wish you luck finding the right journey for yourself. But I'm not with you on this one.
    From what I recall those higher carb diets are more likely to contribute to weight gain anyways, likely due to lowered satiety and thus eating more food. Pretty sure that my old fat-self diet was much higher carb and lower fat/protien than it is now haha.

So you're lower carb. But not low carb. By your standards.
    I eat 200+g of carbs. Compared to when I probably ate 400-500+g of carbs while gaining weight, yeah, I'm lower carb.

So I guess even low carbers are just IIFYM.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So how come when I ate a vegan diet for about 8 months, I never lost a single pound? Obviously it's not because I was eating too much of it. What did I do wrong?
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Threads like these are why I spend so little time on the forums. The hostility is ridiculous.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

...............................................................................................................................................

Also please provide a reference list from which you are spouting these bits of information. I'm going to guess they will be Google hits pulled from your butt.

When i first got a glimps of this lifestyle, i did a ton of research for months to figure out whether this is right or not for me. Im not gonna do the work for you.

Ah the classic response.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That's what every single person who doesn't have a scrap of evidence says. In scientific debate, the person making the claim has to back it up. Otherwise you forfeit the point.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow. I walk home and this thread gets 99 more posts. AND gets weirder. :huh:
  • ana3067
    Options

And this is the argument that every single person like you gives when asked to provide sources.

Since you've already done the research, you shoudl already be familiar with sources, or at least with the search terms that brought up those sources. Thus you doing another quick search would be more efficient than us going about blindly trying to find information that doesn't exist.

And there actually have been cases where I took up this offer, used my university's library database to come up with articles from actual peer-reviewed journals, and the few results I did find that actually pertained to the topic did not support what the person in the thread was saying. And there have been times when people posted links to scientific articles, claiming it was stating one thing when it wasn't stating that at all.

So I'd rather not waste my time, again, because someone isn't willing to take a few minutes to search again for the articles that originally shaped their decisions.
  • ana3067
    Options

Please cite your source for and explain exactly what are "stagnation" and "intolerant" reactions.

No man she said we have to do it.
  • avshwartz
    Options

So if you eat over your TDEE eating only "whole" foods, you won't gain weight?

Yup! I dont watch my calories, but my guess would be around 2000, instead of the recommended 1200, and ive lost 30lbs.
    Basically, i eat as much as i feel like and listen to my body. Sometimes i crave only light veggies and fruit, and sometimes lots of starches.

Can you please explain the physics behind this?

*Also, 1200 calories is not "recommended" across the board. This is the minimum that anyone should ever be eating. Most people should be eating more calories than that.

Sorry, my mistake. To lose weight, it is recommended for my to eat 1200. I eat anywhere between 2000-3000 depending on how i feel.
    If you look into 'the starch solution' all the research is there.
    To me, it just makes sense. Im fuelling my body and brain with glucose, without sugar rushes/crashes because of the natural fibre. Im getting in waaay more nutrition because of all the fruits and vegs, which heals my body and makes it work more efficiently

So, you just know... in your knower... that you're eating 2000 calories, but you're not counting them... and it's recommended that you be at 1200 for... what???? A deficit of how many calories? What's your TDEE?

I'm sorry, but as other people have said, you're not a special snowflake. If you're eating above your TDEE, you'd gain weight. If you're eating below it, you'll lose weight.

The 1,200 number recommended by MFP is a guideline based on a number of factors and you're not providing accurate enough data to assess the validity of your claims.

I am too a special snowflake. And my knower is myfitnesspal that i used to track my calories for a few weeks some time ago.
    My recommended calories to lose weight is 1200. I eat over 2000 and lose weight at the same rate.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    atkladund9in.jpg

Well, I have to say, this is new. Usually, it's cut all the carbs and sugar and don't count calories!!!!

Now it's eat all the carbs and plants and don't count calories!!!!

Dairy is the debil!!!!!!

Pretty soon, the only thing that's going to be okay to eat is going to be lettuce.

I tip my hat to you. You are in on that before the rest of the haters can get there. Kudos to you!

Your comment amused me and I had nothing constructive to add to this dumpster fire :drinker:
  • avshwartz
    Options

This is not true.

Also, if you're going to make such wild claims, please provide sources (not anecdotes based on your best guess of how many calories you're eating).

My proof is that im a nutritionist and have a bookshelf filled with books about different foods and lifestylrs and their affect on the body.
This discussion has been closed.