Is Pizza Fast Food?

Options
like dominos pizza for example. or pizza from your local pizza parlor. is that considered to be fast food?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Considering how long it takes them to make my pizza, I don't consider it fast food.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Fast Food is a label. Generally speaking I think of food as home prepared or eating out. So this would fall under eating out food.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    No... it takes forever and a day to get pizza... unless you're getting a $5 little Caesar pizza. Lol!! Pizza is not fast food.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'll answer at face value since I have no clue why it matters, but no, I would consider pizza under the category of "delivery", not fast food. Chinese food would be under the same category. Even if I pick up, I still call it delivery, lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    why does it matter?

are you trying to label it as bad, because fast food?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    like dominos pizza for example. or pizza from your local pizza parlor. is that considered to be fast food?

I am curious on the subject in general. I am a non-native speaker of English and would like to know what the expression really includes. I have American neighbors and they consider for example Rice-a-Roni to be fast food compared to a rice dish cooked from scratch. The same goes for Mac & Cheese from Krafts, while home made Macaroni and Cheese is not.
    I always thought that only food from chain stores like Burger King, Wendy's etc was " fast food ". Does KFC, Taco Bell, or Pollo Loco fall under fast food ?

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

It kind of begs the question of how we define "fast food" as a term at all. Given that, I'm inclined to agree with the posters who are asking why it matters.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, pizza is pizza...it is it's own thing...

Also, Dominoes isn't pizza...don't know what it is, but it's not pizza....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

amen LOL

i guess it could be considered fast food, if its crappy pizza like dominos. LOL if its GOOD pizza - its a whole food group unto its own ;)

• gouldyftw
    gouldyftw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One look at the nutritional content will tell you it's at least as unhealthy as McDonald's and other fast food!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

I am curious on the subject in general. I am a non-native speaker of English and would like to know what the expression really includes. I have American neighbors and they consider for example Rice-a-Roni to be fast food compared to a rice dish cooked from scratch. The same goes for Mac & Cheese from Krafts, while home made Macaroni and Cheese is not.
    I always thought that only food from chain stores like Burger King, Wendy's etc was " fast food ". Does KFC, Taco Bell, or Pollo Loco fall under fast food ?

fast food is *generally* considered anything with a drive thru. so mcdonalds, burger king, wendys, etc anything beyond that is highly subjective.
  • ndj1979
    Options

LOL

I like the new recipe...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

I agree.

I don't see pizza as fast food. It takes 45 minutes to an hour for it to hit my door. That is not fast at all.
  • rlwilson1967
    rlwilson1967 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I consider most Taco Bell, BK, KFC and any "drive thru" type places to be fast food.

In the lines of Rice a Roni, I wouldn't consider it "fast" food, but it is boxed/convenient type foods that are easy to prepare and highly processed.

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    To quote my daughter, when she was younger, while we were waiting on our food at a drive in, from start to finish it took nearly 15 minutes, in anger she blurts out "THIS ISNT FAST FOOD AT ALL! THIS IS SLOW FOOD!!!"

LoL...but yeah, I think generally speaking, anything with a drive through is fast food. Except coffee or donut joints with a drive though, thats still just a coffee and/or donut shop.

And to answer @ang108 food prepared at home isnt fast food... I grew up calling anything out of a box hamburger helper, even though technically thats a brand, and not everything uses hamburger (like mac and cheese, or tuna helper, or chicken helper lol) but its just the concept of fast, cheap, easy and out of a box. Generally speaking though, I think those are just called um..actually, I dont think theres a name for it..is there?! LoL
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

hey now. i actually like Domino's the best out of all the big chains.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

The term was first coined for places like McDonld's, KFC, Taco Bell, etc. Places where you could walk in and get food quickly because it was already made. It did not include restaurants or take-out that you had to order and wait for the food to be prepared.

A few years ago I saw a rep from either McD or BK (I think) say that their food isn't fast food, it's "quick service". LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I am curious why OP wants to know...

I guess she is not coming back to clarify
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think of some of it as fast food - usually depends on salt content for me LOL. I don't base it on the speed I can get it and instead base it on the nutritional value. Some of it can really be total crap lol.

Pizza can be a fairly balanced meal if it's a good one. I prefer pizza from a mom and pop italian place instead of a chain restaurant...or make it myself
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am Italian, born and raised there and pizza for us is just a staple...replaces pasta for lunch sometimes... a neapolitan margherita pizza with just tomato sauce and nice mozzarella can't be seen as junk food honestly. I live in NY now and I never order domino pizza or equivalents because I think there's too much stuff on them and they're not as healthy... HOWEVER... you can eat domino pizza or whatever you like for that matter as long as you keep it within your calorie goal...