Essential oils for weight loss

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Elaneor wrote: »
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite. But always use it in your lamp with basis oil.
    For example:
    • grapefruit helps with overeating and stress
    • peppermint increases motivation and calms the appetite
    • cinnamon helps to improve the immune system
    • and so on (i suppose citrus oils are one of the best here - they tone up, calm appetite and give you better mood)
    Proper usage of essential oils can help you eat less (but still counting and your own work really matter).

g'wan then .. show us the science
  • Elaneor
    Elaneor Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I found a list of scientific references here http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/explore-healing-practices/aromatherapy/what-does-research-say-about-essential-oils
    And i'm not forcing anyone to use oils, really.
    If you don't want it, you simply don't use them. :)
    But if someone got a nice effect using oils, why don't give a try?

Have a good day, dear all.
    As for me, i use wax with lots of essential oils for skin on my fingers - and it really prevents burrs and made my nails more healthy and good looking.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I use diluted peppermint oil for headaches (works immediately and is amazing). I also use lavender oil for sore muscles. Other oils have other uses, but these are the two I use the most.

Very important! Do not ingest essential oils. They can be fatal!

If using them for homeopathic reasons, make sure that you are getting them from someone who knows what they are doing. Some oils need to be diluted before being placed on the skin, others can NEVER be used on the skin. This can lead to burns and scarring. Always test any oil you wish to use on a patch of skin, and wait 24 hours to ensure you will not have a bad reaction.

Please be very very careful with essential oils, and again, do not ingest them.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Sesame oil is pretty essential for a good Thai or Vietnamese salad.

Good call, absolutely! My wife does the Asian cooking so it slipped my mind.

EVOO and Sesame Oil!!
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options

elphie754 wrote: »
    I use diluted peppermint oil for headaches (works immediately and is amazing). I also use lavender oil for sore muscles. Other oils have other uses, but these are the two I use the most.

If using them for homeopathic reasons, make sure that you are getting them from someone who knows what they are doing. Some oils need to be diluted before being placed on the skin, others can NEVER be used on the skin. This can lead to burns and scarring. Always test any oil you wish to use on a patch of skin, and wait 24 hours to ensure you will not have a bad reaction.

A lady came into my job, asking if we sell Peppermint oil, as people use it to scare off&kill spiders...

Other than that, I haven't heard legitimate claims to it "aiding" in weight loss. I don't normally buy into that kind of stuff, though. Most of these claims are often so the little guys can make a profit from people that don't know that CICO works... I've lost 27 pounds so far, just by watching(weighing and counting) what I eat, and walking/exercising whenever possible.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite. But always use it in your lamp with basis oil (3 drops of oil is okay). You can even make baths with essential oil (3 drops of oil on the 2-3 spoons of the sea salt is a good deal).
    For example:
    • and so on (i suppose citrus oils are one of the best here - they tone up, calm appetite and give you better mood)
    And beware that some of them (like citrus) may cause photosensitivity to the sun if you use it on skin (with massage oils).
    Proper usage of essential oils can help you eat less (but still counting and your own work really matter).
    Will putting them on crystal pyramids help, or should I avoid that?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite. But always use it in your lamp with basis oil (3 drops of oil is okay). You can even make baths with essential oil (3 drops of oil on the 2-3 spoons of the sea salt is a good deal).
    For example:
    And beware that some of them (like citrus) may cause photosensitivity to the sun if you use it on skin (with massage oils).
    Will putting them on crystal pyramids help, or should I avoid that?

Only if you sing the proper incantations while doing so
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like lavender oil. It makes my home made face wash and cuticle oil smell really nice. I also have these little sachet things I put it on that I throw in the dryer. My laundry smells good too.

• cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think some really do have good properties. Instead of the actual oil (sometimes it's too strong) I get mint or ginger tea & they really do seem to help with stomach issues. Also lavender tea is good before bed. I love lavender for de-stressing! I want to try a diffuser since most regular candles/sprays aggravate my allergies. If it works for you, go for it. If not, oh well.
  • lifeisbueno
    lifeisbueno Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i add it to my water bottle for a little flavor variety... a few drops of grapefruit, lemon, orange, or even cinnamon if its cold out. no weight loss expectations from it, but it makes my water taste different on occasion :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    i add it to my water bottle for a little flavor variety... a few drops of grapefruit, lemon, orange, or even cinnamon if its cold out. no weight loss expectations from it, but it makes my water taste different on occasion :)

Essential oils? They can be very dangerous to consume.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    chubbard9 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

A lady came into my job, asking if we sell Peppermint oil, as people use it to scare off&kill spiders...

Other than that, I haven't heard legitimate claims to it "aiding" in weight loss. I don't normally buy into that kind of stuff, though. Most of these claims are often so the little guys can make a profit from people that don't know that CICO works... I've lost 27 pounds so far, just by watching(weighing and counting) what I eat, and walking/exercising whenever possible.

I've used a combination of peppermint oil on the doorframe and cinnamon on the ground to get rid of ants. The oil was like $4.29 at the grocery store. Someone wants to sell the same bottle to me for $20 for 'weight loss'...the only words I have for that are swear words.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that ingesting oils is generally a very bad idea, and that no oils are going to magically increase your weight loss or affect the CICO equation directly. And I'm not sold on anything suppressing your appetite, either.

That said, if you're a stress eater or emotional eater, oils used as aromatherapy to reduce stress or induce a calming feeling might be worth a try. No, there's not a LOT of science behind it, but aromatherapy to reduce stress has been used for centuries. Science probably isn't going to back a lot of it up, but it's a psychosomatic effect anyway - if you feel calmer and less stressed, then it's working, it doesn't matter WHY it's working or if it's actually impacting anything physically in your body. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Worst case is that you're out the $25 or whatever you spent on the oil.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a friend from high school who sells this stuff. It seems like harmless woo woo, but that *kitten* is EXPENSIVE. Expensive and unnecessary. If you like the smell of peppermint, have some mint ea. Use lavender soap. Don't pay so much for something with such a subjective and non-scientific base.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also 'essential oils' are not to be ingested....if you are going to try oils and things, most definitely don't buy essential oils.

Quoting, in bold, for a few who obviously don't read labels and such.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Please stop doing that. Essential oils aren't safe for consumption.

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is kind of scary. I have a couple of Young Living consultants on my Facebook and they talk about ingesting the oils all the time, and their children too! They even give "recipes" for different things like weight loss and such. I have never and would never buy any, it's not my thing. But it's scary that they suggest consuming the oils when it's actually dangerous to do so!
  • virelay129
    virelay129 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use lemon, grapefruit, and orange to flavor my water, but that's just for taste. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    Essential oils marked "Essential Oil Supplement" are safe for consumption. I use a drop or two of lemon essential oil in my water with cucumbers. I cannot use lemon slice because the acid is hard on my kidneys and bladder.

Does the FDA regulate the labeling of such oils?

The FDA only regulates them in the sense that they can send a warning letter when they think a company is making unfounded claims (which they have done to doTERRA and Young Living when they claimed their oils could prevent Ebola, for example). But I don't think they test them to ensure they are safe for consumption.

That would be up to the company to determine. Any consumer who was harmed could presumably seek civil relief. Before consuming these, I would carefully consider how truthful and ethical these companies have been in the past when they stand a chance to make money.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    Essential oils marked "Essential Oil Supplement" are safe for consumption. I use a drop or two of lemon essential oil in my water with cucumbers. I cannot use lemon slice because the acid is hard on my kidneys and bladder.

Does the FDA regulate the labeling of such oils?

The FDA only regulates them in the sense that they can send a warning letter when they think a company is making unfounded claims (which they have done to doTERRA and Young Living when they claimed their oils could prevent Ebola, for example). But I don't think they test them to ensure they are safe for consumption.

That would be up to the company to determine. Any consumer who was harmed could presumably seek civil relief. Before consuming these, I would carefully consider how truthful and ethical these companies have been in the past when they stand a chance to make money.

[incredulity intensifies]