Essential oils for weight loss

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Peppermint helps relax the tense muscles in the digestive tract. You can rub some over your tummy, and put a drop on your tongue (place it on the back of your hand first and lick it off, then swish with some water before swallowing). Don't use this around toddlers though!!! It's way to strong for them, and can actually arrest breathing if they get a hold of your bottle.
    Tea tree oil, add liberally to your body lotion to stimulate your lymph system.
    Lavender reduces stress and relaxes muscle tension, I love to use it on tight muscles!
    Frankincense is awesome if you've had emotional shock.
    They are multi-purpose, too many to list!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out how the oil on your skin affects the muscles underneath. Are you claim that the oil gets absorbed into the skin, passes through the fat layer, and other organs and then is absorbed into the stomach muscles?

It's really amazing. I usually tap the dropper bottle right over the area to dispense a few drops. It's super concentrated and yes you can use it over the area.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    troelsy wrote: »
    Plenty of the essential oils mentioned here have been said to stimulate appetite... lol

Peppermint, orange, ginger...

I mean the oils from herbs aren't completely bogus. But I would say having the actual herbs growing and rubbing a leaf in passing is a better way to get the experiences.

Eating it fresh. I find ginger does aid in digestion if I eat it in food or drink it in tea.

Ginger is one of those spices that have documented benefits, especially to calm mild nausea. There have even been studies done that shows some benefits for mild morning sickness with no danger to the baby. This is the actual spice though (whether fresh, dried, crystallized, infused, etc), not in any kind of essential oil form.

:wink: explains why I like it. Peppermint makes my stomach worse ( plus it tastes terrible to me.) Ginger works better for me than some medicines I've had to take. Ginger brew from Reeds--looks like a beer bottle which raises eyebrows at work but I'm telling you, it does wonders for me when I feel sick to my stomach.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Plenty of the essential oils mentioned here have been said to stimulate appetite... lol

I mean the oils from herbs aren't completely bogus. But I would say having the actual herbs growing and rubbing a leaf in passing is a better way to get the experiences.

Eating it fresh. I find ginger does aid in digestion if I eat it in food or drink it in tea.

Ginger is one of those spices that have documented benefits, especially to calm mild nausea. There have even been studies done that shows some benefits for mild morning sickness with no danger to the baby. This is the actual spice though (whether fresh, dried, crystallized, infused, etc), not in any kind of essential oil form.

:wink: explains why I like it. Peppermint makes my stomach worse ( plus it tastes terrible to me.) Ginger works better for me than some medicines I've had to take. Ginger brew from Reeds--looks like a beer bottle which raises eyebrows at work but I'm telling you, it does wonders for me when I feel sick to my stomach.

When I was a little kid my mom would give me ginger ale for an upset stomach. I enjoy ginger tea but I don't like the prepared packets (too much sweetener). I use cracked dried ginger root and steep it for about 10 minutes (then add more boiling water so it is a hot drink) and don't sweeten it at all. Peppermint is notorious for being bad for the stomach if you have issues like GERD or a hiatal hernia. I drink peppermint tea on occasion but not often.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also 'essential oils' are not to be ingested....if you are going to try oils and things, most definitely don't buy essential oils. They are for burning only!

It depends on the purity of the oil, actually. Some can be ingested. The bottle will say how they can used (topical, aromatherapy and/or internally).

Essential oils are concentrated oils from actual plants. Some of the plants used are toxic to humans (and our pets, but that's another thread probably) - and the only cases of death and hospitalization that have occurred from the use of essential oils occurred due to toxic levels of ingestion by mouth. Please do not ingest essential oils.

***Side note - the science behind essential oil use is fairly lacking. There are those that believe it helps, and some essential oil scents are said to help curb appetite (like grapefruit). However, essential oils are not going to replace the CICO model. You have to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. Period. Essential oils may help you, and if they do then that's great. But they are not a magic bullet.

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

When I was a little kid my mom would give me ginger ale for an upset stomach. I enjoy ginger tea but I don't like the prepared packets (too much sweetener). I use cracked dried ginger root and steep it for about 10 minutes (then add more boiling water so it is a hot drink) and don't sweeten it at all. Peppermint is notorious for being bad for the stomach if you have issues like GERD or a hiatal hernia. I drink peppermint tea on occasion but not often.

I have ulcers which probably explains why peppermint hurts. It's a good thing that I absolutely hate the taste of peppermint. Ginger on the other hand is fantastic and the stronger the better. I don't drink regular ginger ale, I drink the really strong kind. I don't prefer prepared ginger tea, either. I like to chop up pieces of fresh ginger and steep it in water with a little honey and lemon (if I'm doing it for taste, if not the ginger root itself will suffice).
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options

I have ulcers which probably explains why peppermint hurts. It's a good thing that I absolutely hate the taste of peppermint. Ginger on the other hand is fantastic and the stronger the better. I don't drink regular ginger ale, I drink the really strong kind. I don't prefer prepared ginger tea, either. I like to chop up pieces of fresh ginger and steep it in water with a little honey and lemon (if I'm doing it for taste, if not the ginger root itself will suffice).

I love ginger root. I like to grate it on fine grate, then squeeze out the juice into a cup with fresh lemon juice, stevia and water. I often do this before breakfast.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to figure out how the oil on your skin affects the muscles underneath. Are you claim that the oil gets absorbed into the skin, passes through the fat layer, and other organs and then is absorbed into the stomach muscles?
    Yes. A carrier oil like grapeseed helps the oil absorb in faster. The time I used too much, I felt side effects within 10 minutes.

I like how you make things up.
    I actually got that specific information (using a carrier oil for the essential oil) from a pharmacist. That instance I'm referring to, I felt shaky and almost nauseous after using it (because I used too much). But, I guess you can choose to believe what you want.

Also, I'm not suggesting that essential oils can be used as a magic fix for weight loss. I may not have made that clear, but that wasn't my point.

Carrier oils do not help EO's absorb better. They are used to dilute the EO's so they are not at toxic levels. There is no way grapeseed oil absorbs all the way to your stomach. Some carrier oils will sit on top of the first layer of the epidermis. Others may absorb into one of the other layers (there are 5 layers of the epidermis) but they do not penetrate past the epidermis into the dermis or the subcutaneous fat or muscle.

I trust the lady that makes her own soaps and lotions^
    Ok, so a little of what I said was inaccurate. I already said initially that I was diluting the essential oil with a carrier oil. The point is that the oil does get absorbed into the system to influence the various organ systems (in this case, digestive and nervous).
    Also, I can say these oils (and plenty more) were already being used in my house for soap making.

So following this thinking, lotion and hand sanitizer get absorbed directly into my blood stream when I use it. Sounds legit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yes. A carrier oil like grapeseed helps the oil absorb in faster. The time I used too much, I felt side effects within 10 minutes.

I like how you make things up.
    I actually got that specific information (using a carrier oil for the essential oil) from a pharmacist. That instance I'm referring to, I felt shaky and almost nauseous after using it (because I used too much). But, I guess you can choose to believe what you want.

Also, I'm not suggesting that essential oils can be used as a magic fix for weight loss. I may not have made that clear, but that wasn't my point.

Carrier oils do not help EO's absorb better. They are used to dilute the EO's so they are not at toxic levels. There is no way grapeseed oil absorbs all the way to your stomach. Some carrier oils will sit on top of the first layer of the epidermis. Others may absorb into one of the other layers (there are 5 layers of the epidermis) but they do not penetrate past the epidermis into the dermis or the subcutaneous fat or muscle.

I trust the lady that makes her own soaps and lotions^
    Ok, so a little of what I said was inaccurate. I already said initially that I was diluting the essential oil with a carrier oil. The point is that the oil does get absorbed into the system to influence the various organ systems (in this case, digestive and nervous).
    Also, I can say these oils (and plenty more) were already being used in my house for soap making.

So following this thinking, lotion and hand sanitizer get absorbed directly into my blood stream when I use it. Sounds legit.

Is that why I'm always drunk at work? :laugh:
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, that if you've cured a "migraine" with ginger tea or peppermint oil on your temples (for that matter, if you took Excedrin for it)?

You don't know what a real migraine is.

Yup. That was just a headache, not a migraine.

I'm trying to remember the statistic my neurologist quoted to me, but according to him, most people who think they have migraines don't even know what they really are.

I have real ones, the whole aura beforehand for 45 min, weird smells, blah blah blah. And I have found that a dark room, and a cold clothe work as well as any over the counter meds can. I would say if she is using ginger tea it very well might work as well as over the counter.... considering all that is is advil and caffeine. Also if you know migraines (which I assume you do) people have totally different triggers, maybe the addition of loads of tea has kept the poster from consuming something else that was a trigger. Or possibly eliminating the OTC med has stopped rebound headaches.