Essential oils for weight loss

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned, you do have to be very careful with essential oils. Lately I have started using peppermint oil topically to help with digestion, but I dilute it with a carrier oil (grapeseed).
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Hello friends!!!
    Does anyone use essential oils for weight loss? Which ones work the best and how do you use them?
    I know lemon, grapefruit, and peppermint are the ones people use the most, however any information anyone has will be helpful. Thanks for your time!

I use essential oils for hair, not for weightloss.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This thread started almost 9 months ago. OP's weight loss counter indicates 0lbs lost. I'm guessing this "quick fix" didn't do much...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    This thread started almost 9 months ago. OP's weight loss counter indicates 0lbs lost. I'm guessing this "quick fix" didn't do much...

What a surprise.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    chubbard9 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I use diluted peppermint oil for headaches (works immediately and is amazing). I also use lavender oil for sore muscles. Other oils have other uses, but these are the two I use the most.

Very important! Do not ingest essential oils. They can be fatal!

If using them for homeopathic reasons, make sure that you are getting them from someone who knows what they are doing. Some oils need to be diluted before being placed on the skin, others can NEVER be used on the skin. This can lead to burns and scarring. Always test any oil you wish to use on a patch of skin, and wait 24 hours to ensure you will not have a bad reaction.

Please be very very careful with essential oils, and again, do not ingest them.

A lady came into my job, asking if we sell Peppermint oil, as people use it to scare off&kill spiders...

Imma need a barrel... better make that 2
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a friend that sells essential oils. She swears by a weight loss formula that helped her lose her baby weight when combined with diet and exercise....she used to sell the "It Works" wraps and she said the same thing....I've long wanted to point out the proven "diet and exercise" part of her formula for as to why she's lost weight. I have very little faith in her essential oils. She gave me peppermint oil once because my stomach was hurting really bad. She swore by it. The second I swallowed it my stomach started BURNING. I'll never do that again.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqROc8jaiwcZyNcvbWurKJaKYF_SZ4WzSykkMUJ3DaFmwwH3ZzKA
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    She gave me peppermint oil once because my stomach was hurting really bad. She swore by it. The second I swallowed it my stomach started BURNING. I'll never do that again.
    Problem here is dosage, as more than likely she gave you way too much. And it's probably better to use it topically anyway (and it should be diluted).

To put in perspective how powerful essential oils can be, I use less than half of a drop when I use peppermint oil on my stomach. And like I mentioned before, this is diluted, not even straight. I once rubbed a lot on the solution (I don't think more than one drop of peppermint oil), and I could tell that was too much.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    She gave me peppermint oil once because my stomach was hurting really bad. She swore by it. The second I swallowed it my stomach started BURNING. I'll never do that again.
    Problem here is dosage, as more than likely she gave you way too much. And it's probably better to use it topically anyway (and it should be diluted).

To put in perspective how powerful essential oils can be, I use less than half of a drop when I use peppermint oil on my stomach. And like I mentioned before, this is diluted, not even straight. I once rubbed a lot on the solution (I don't think more than one drop of peppermint oil), and I could tell that was too much.

And how does rubbing oil on the surface of your stomach aide in digestion? I would really like to know the scientific model for how that occurs...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Every time one of these pops up I scroll back and look at all the banned posters we've lost. Nostalgia.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    shia-labeouf-magic-gif.gif
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    She didn't give me too much, I promise. It was the tiniest hint of a drop. I should add that I have digestive problems but considering it's called "digestize" one would think it wouldn't make digestion worse.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    While I love essential oils, I ascribe no weight loss powers to them.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While I love essential oils, I ascribe no weight loss powers to them.

Me either. Well, sort of with lavender oil. It is relaxing and if I take a shower or bath and use lavender oil I might be relaxed enough to fall asleep quickly so I don't overeat the bedtime snack. That counts, doesn't it?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it helps with weight loss, but Valvoline makes you awesome at arm wrestling.
    hkkamdxcpn48.gif
    44.gif 376.6K
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    OOOOO you reminded me about lavender oil. I made the exception for lavender oil. Studies in Germany have shown that lavender oil (they have a type you swallow called Lavela) is shown to have a calming effect that shows promise for being as effective as a very low (the lowest) dose of ativan. More studies need to be done to show a clear benefit but preliminary studies are promising.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    OOOOO you reminded me about lavender oil. I made the exception for lavender oil. Studies in Germany have shown that lavender oil (they have a type you swallow called Lavela) is shown to have a calming effect that shows promise for being as effective as a very low (the lowest) dose of ativan. More studies need to be done to show a clear benefit but preliminary studies are promising.

No thanks. I will continue to use it in my bath water.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

No thanks. I will continue to use it in my bath water.

Might not be for you but for people with anxiety (like me) it's amazing news. It means that you can get help calming physiological sensations without medications with terrible side effects. It's a safe, natural alternative.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    So much wooo in this thread