auddii wrote: »
    kampshoff wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Elaneor wrote: »
    Actually, as far as I know, inhaling some essential oils can help you to calm the appetite.

Very much this. I've noticed a direct correlation to scent and hunger. For example, when I clean the litterbox at night... suddenly I'm a LOT less hungry. >:)

**Taking Notes **

For guaranteed weight Loss = clean litter box @ night.

Step 1: Obtain cat

Dammit, I've already failed.

Don't worry - I've failed as well. I realized I don't have one either.

I'm allergic to cats...should I use essential oils or apple cider vinegar?

Wait, wait... I just realized Step 1 is "Acquire litter box." Cat not necessary.

I consider this on par with the three sea shells. Some explanation is required...

The goal is, as posted above, "For guaranteed weight Loss = clean litter box @ night."

No one said a cat has to fill up said litter box.
    And you do your squats and kill two birds with one stone.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    I totally agree that ingesting oils is generally a very bad idea, and that no oils are going to magically increase your weight loss or affect the CICO equation directly. And I'm not sold on anything suppressing your appetite, either.

That said, if you're a stress eater or emotional eater, oils used as aromatherapy to reduce stress or induce a calming feeling might be worth a try. No, there's not a LOT of science behind it, but aromatherapy to reduce stress has been used for centuries. Science probably isn't going to back a lot of it up, but it's a psychosomatic effect anyway - if you feel calmer and less stressed, then it's working, it doesn't matter WHY it's working or if it's actually impacting anything physically in your body. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Worst case is that you're out the $25 or whatever you spent on the oil.

That's what I was thinking. I bet there are more emotional eaters on here than there are people who don't understand how CICO works, but most of the post responses seem to be directed at the latter.

It's one of those "easier said than done" situations and if something can help, I'll try it (provided it's safe, obviously. I imagine heroin would make me feel great and lose weight, but I'll pass)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Most essential oils are not meant for internal use and can be harmful, if not fatal if ingested.

This is just not true, you have to purchase Food Grade oils if you want to injest them. They have their uses, but not sure about aiding in weight loss. I currently use ginger for heartburn and my daughter uses Cloves to keep her blood pressure down, better all natural than taking all those meds. I used to take prilosec once a day for seven years.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    rgoins374 wrote: »
    Essential oils marked "Essential Oil Supplement" are safe for consumption. I use a drop or two of lemon essential oil in my water with cucumbers. I cannot use lemon slice because the acid is hard on my kidneys and bladder.

Does the FDA regulate the labeling of such oils?

hmmm, FDA is soooo good at keeping harmful medications and such off the shelves too, don't ya think?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    asjt678 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I have had great success staying well since I began using essential oils about 2 years ago. Since that time I have had 3 hospital stays, one of which was 17 days following a full spinal fusion (T5 all the way down). I took my oils with me each time and did not contract any infections or other bad bugs from the hospital. I had an abdominal incision, an incision on my left side in addition to the large one on my back. Oils mixed with carrier oils have been instrumental in my body's recovery.

This is just my story and I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone or tout oils as a cure for ebola. I just trust natural things rather than pharmaceuticals because there are far fewer side effects for me.

I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/22/wellness-gurus-belle-gibson-pseudoscience

What's your point?

My point is that "natural" cures are mostly woo perpetuated by so-called "wellness gurus" who don't actually know anything.

I don't know anything about essential oils but will say that some natural, Dr. Oz type stuff has worked for me. I used to suffer with about 5-10 migraines a month. I didn't have enough to get prescription medication. I was taking Excedrin migraines like they were tic tacs. I watched Dr. Oz one day and he recommended ginger tea. I also found some breathing exercises. Since, then I have bought maybe 3 bottles of Excedrin Migraine tops. That was in 2009 or 2010. And I really only buy it for when I am on the go or I can't make my tea right away.

If you can find something that is natural to help you, then fine. But I don't think an oil will make anyone lose weight. I just don't want all natural remedies to be dismissed. Many natural cures have been around for thousands of years and have helped people. When modern medicine is necessary or in this case, eating at a deficit and maybe some exercise, you should use it. I think it all boils down to common sense.

This was my point about the frankincense and myrrh before everyone started with the rude comments. BTW, some peppermint essential oil on your temples and back of the neck have relieved my migraines.

I do not understand how it's rude of me to ask what the connection between wise men and the usefulness of essential oils is. I'm not Christian, and this isn't a board about religion so I was not getting your point.

Just that they have been around for thousands of years.

So has smallpox. Guess what eradicated that? HINT: Not essential oils.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options

g'wan then .. show us the science [/quote]

Sometimes science takes a little (or a long) time to catch up. Honey was used for years to help with wound healing, then science developed antibiotics, only five years ago science told us honey was great and we should use that instead. Same thing for maggots, leeches and spider webs. We used to use drugs to make labor easier, now birthing suites use lavendar oil because the research has been done and found that the very old idea of hanging lavender next to a woman's bed is valid. It has also been scientifically proven that Orange oil makes people think you are five years younger than you are. So maybe there is some merit to this. I am always wary of anyone that treats science as a religion in the same way as I am about someone that discounts it out of hand. For something to be scientifically proven there has to be the money, resources and willingness to do the research.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In the interest of context, here's the intro posted on that web page that had all of those studies listed. It puts them in a rather different light.
    What are some issues in conducting research on essential oils?
    There are some unique issues in conducting research on essential oils.

Essential Oils Are Not Standardized: The chemistry of essential oils is influenced by the local geography and weather conditions, as well as the season and time of day when the plants are harvested, how they are processed, and how they are packaged and stored. Each plant is unique in its chemistry so essential oils are never exactly the same-this is different from pharmaceutical drugs that are synthetically reproduced to be identical every time.

Essential oils can be altered to achieve standardization (for example, a certain chemical that was found to be at a lower concentration in the whole oil in a particular year can be added to make it the same percentage as last year's batch). The problem with standardized essential oils is that they are no longer natural, genuine, and authentic. This variability in essential oils by time, place and conditions is a big challenge to conducting valid research. Currently the International Standards Organization sets standards for each essential oil that include a range of acceptable concentrations for its major chemical constituents.

It Is Difficult to Conduct Blinded Studies with Aromatic Substances: Typical research studies involve testing two groups-one group gets an experimental substance and another group gets a placebo substance (this group is referred to as the "control" group). When using aromatic substances, it is very difficult to conduct a blinded study. Some researchers have used masks or other barriers to blind participants. Other researchers have used alternate scents assumed to have no therapeutic properties as controls. These approaches are problematic, however, because people associate smells with past experiences. Thus, it is difficult to account for individual variation in how essential oils affect people.

It Is Difficult to Get Approval and Funding for Research on Essential Oils: Essential oils have been used on humans for thousands of years. As a result, they don't fit into the conventional clinical science approach of testing a substance in the lab first, then on animals, and then on humans. As a result, if a researcher proposes to test an essential oil with humans first, they may be turned down. This is because research review boards tend to approve research studies that follow the more usual scientific research path.

Many conventional drug studies are funded by the pharmaceutical industry. There is little motivation for these companies to fund research on natural plant substances because they cannot easily be patented, limiting the potential for profit. Thus, finding funding for essential oils studies can be challenging.

It Is Difficult to Tell What Caused the Outcome: In conventional research studies, it is important to be able to determine exactly what caused the outcome. In essential oil therapy, the oils are sometimes applied with massage, which makes it difficult to tell whether or not the outcome was due to the essential oil alone, or the massage, or the combination. Also, essential oils are composed of hundreds of chemical constituents, and it is hard to determine which ones may have produced the desired effect.

It doesn't put them in any different light to what I already said, which was "I just read a report that makes quite a few very good points about why aromatherapy "cures" are not generally validated by research studies..." All you've done is list all of the points in full.

In case you don't understand it, these aren't being presented as points "against" aromatherapy. Or perhaps you do understand it but are trying to imply that it means something entirely different. (Oh, but I forgot, it's me who cherry picks and misrepresents things. Riiight....) (:-)

How is posting the article in its entirety cherrypicking?

You're the one who only pulled out the paragraph on big pharma, and really, that was the cherry picking. The entire intro listed the shortcomings of the research process for essential oils, and you conveniently only listed the one tinfoil hat reason listed.

In case you don't understand what you posted.

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »
    It has also been scientifically proven that Orange oil makes people think you are five years younger than you are. So maybe there is some merit to this.

Oh really? I'd love to see that.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

You're the one who only pulled out the paragraph on big pharma, and really, that was the cherry picking. The entire intro listed the shortcomings of the research process for essential oils, and you conveniently only listed the one tinfoil hat reason listed.

You didn't post the article in its entirety either.

I pulled out the section that was relevant to the point I was making. The remainder of the article didn't refute anything I said so it wasn't misrepresented in any way. In case you aren't familiar with how to use references, that's what you do (i.e., you don't copy the entire volume every time you want to quote from a previously published work).
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »

Sometimes science takes a little (or a long) time to catch up. Honey was used for years to help with wound healing, then science developed antibiotics, only five years ago science told us honey was great and we should use that instead. Same thing for maggots, leeches and spider webs. We used to use drugs to make labor easier, now birthing suites use lavendar oil because the research has been done and found that the very old idea of hanging lavender next to a woman's bed is valid. It has also been scientifically proven that Orange oil makes people think you are five years younger than you are. So maybe there is some merit to this. I am always wary of anyone that treats science as a religion in the same way as I am about someone that discounts it out of hand. For something to be scientifically proven there has to be the money, resources and willingness to do the research.
    Still waiting for actual proof and not anecdotal information.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

I pulled out the section that was relevant to the point I was making. The remainder of the article didn't refute anything I said so it wasn't misrepresented in any way. In case you aren't familiar with how to use references, that's what you do (i.e., you don't copy the entire volume every time you want to quote from a previously published work).

Ah, here's the part I didn't quote. I did, unlike you, copy the part pertaining to the difficulties in researching oils in full.

It's oddly humorous, given that you listed all the cites, for you to go on about not quoting the whole reference after being caught out cherry picking.

This bit in no way changes or adds context nor does it shed any light on the drawbacks of performing research with essential oils. It's just an intro.
    What Does the Research Say About Essential Oils?

Although essential oils have been used therapeutically for centuries, there is little published research on many of them. However, this is beginning to change as more scientific studies on essential oils are conducted around the world.

Clinical studies are currently underway in Europe, Australia, Japan, India, the United States, and Canada. Many of these studies describe the remarkable healing properties of various oils.

Who is doing the research?
    A significant body of research on essential oils has been conducted by the food, flavoring, cosmetics, and tobacco industries. They are most interested in the flavor, mood alteration, and preservative qualities of essential oils. Some of these companies have also conducted extensive research on the toxicity and safety of essential oils. Although much of this research is proprietary and not generally available to consumers, some of it has made its way into cosmetic and plant product journals. These journals are important sources of information as we accumulate a growing body of knowledge on essential oils.

Most of the studies that have been published in the English language scientific literature have been conducted in laboratories and they have not been tested on humans, but this is changing.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I see you're still not familiar with the term "lying by omission".
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

And I see you're still having trouble with reading comprehension?
  • stevencloser
    Options

I can read fine thank you very much. What you did was choose 1 point out of a bunch of them (one of them being basically "It's impossible to properly test them because their chemical makeup is all over the place") to paint a different picture than what the actual thing did. You made it sound like essential oils are being "held down by the man" instead.
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

I can read fine thank you very much. What you did was choose 1 point out of a bunch of them (one of them being basically "It's impossible to properly test them because their chemical makeup is all over the place") to paint a different picture than what the actual thing did. You made it sound like essential oils are being "held down by the man" instead.

I believe I made it clear that "the man" was one of a number of reasons given for why research is lacking in this area. The actual point I was making, though (in response to all the people shouting "voodoo!" and other silly comments) was that in spite of all the research-related issues, there are studies available.

Hope that clears things up for you, but in case it doesn't here was my original comment (with relevant section cherry-picked):
    "I just read a report that makes quite a few very good points about why aromatherapy "cures" are not generally validated by research studies, one of which is that the pharmaceutical industry is not going to pay for research on natural plant substances that can't be patented..."
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, that's called picking out one tidbit that slants the whole of what you say.

It leaves out the shortcomings of the oils themselves with the testing process.
  • stevencloser
    Options

I believe I made it clear that "the man" was one of a number of reasons given for why research is lacking in this area. The actual point I was making, though (in response to all the people shouting "voodoo!" and other silly comments) was that in spite of all the research-related issues, there are studies available.

Hope that clears things up for you, but in case it doesn't here was my original comment (with relevant section cherry-picked):
    "I just read a report that makes quite a few very good points about why aromatherapy "cures" are not generally validated by research studies, one of which is that the pharmaceutical industry is not going to pay for research on natural plant substances that can't be patented..."

Now replace the one you chose for your "one of which" with the one I named instead and your whole post reads a lot different.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Can anyone provide cliffs?

Essential oils smell good.
    Essential oils because baby Jesus.
    Someone cherry picked when posting a link (three guesses who).
    Don't drink Essential oils.

• Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

Now replace the one you chose for your "one of which" with the one I named instead and your whole post reads a lot different.

Okay, just for you @stevencloser here's the whole thing again with the requested amendment. I used the wording from the website rather than yours; I hope that's permitted. And hey presto!, my point is exactly the same as it was the first time I posted it!
    My point is that "natural" cures are mostly woo perpetuated by so-called "wellness gurus" who don't actually know anything.

I just read a report that makes quite a few very good points about why aromatherapy "cures" are not generally validated by research studies, one of which is that each plant is unique in its chemistry so essential oils are never exactly the same.

The report does also say that the studies that are available on essential oils show positive effects for a variety of health concerns including infections, pain, anxiety, depression, tumors, premenstrual syndrome, nausea, and many others. For anyone who wants to look into this further, the list of studies they reference is quite extensive:...