Essential oils for weight loss

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    She gave me peppermint oil once because my stomach was hurting really bad. She swore by it. The second I swallowed it my stomach started BURNING. I'll never do that again.
    Problem here is dosage, as more than likely she gave you way too much. And it's probably better to use it topically anyway (and it should be diluted).

To put in perspective how powerful essential oils can be, I use less than half of a drop when I use peppermint oil on my stomach. And like I mentioned before, this is diluted, not even straight. I once rubbed a lot on the solution (I don't think more than one drop of peppermint oil), and I could tell that was too much.

And how does rubbing oil on the surface of your stomach aide in digestion? I would really like to know the scientific model for how that occurs...
    Some of the chemical components that make up peppermint oil have anti-inflammatory properties, and the oil also helps to calm the stomach muscles. With using the oil topically, the oil absorbs into the skin very quickly. Now for someone who already has optimal digestion, I don't know that using an oil like this would make much of a difference, since it's generally used for relieving digestive issues.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to figure out how the oil on your skin affects the muscles underneath. Are you claim that the oil gets absorbed into the skin, passes through the fat layer, and other organs and then is absorbed into the stomach muscles?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I use peppermint tea and ginger root for my stomach issues
    i use lavender for sleeping and anxiety.
    i've used tea tree oil in my shampoo to help my scalp
    lemon and other citrus oils can have antibacterial properties
    i inhale eucalyptus and mint oils when i have a cold or headache.
    eucalyptus is supposed to be soothing in the shower

some oils are food grade and are ingestible but most have instructions on how to use them, topically, inhalant, indigestible. not all oils are created equal either. also be wary of where you get your information. some people are just selling the oils and aren't particularly knowledgeable about what they are selling.

I've also used oils to keep bugs away on me, on my dogs (not all oils are good for pets), and in my house-ant invasion.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm just trying to figure out how the oil on your skin affects the muscles underneath. Are you claim that the oil gets absorbed into the skin, passes through the fat layer, and other organs and then is absorbed into the stomach muscles?
    Yes. A carrier oil like grapeseed helps the oil absorb in faster. The time I used too much, I felt side effects within 10 minutes.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Yes. A carrier oil like grapeseed helps the oil absorb in faster. The time I used too much, I felt side effects within 10 minutes.

I like how you make things up.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

+1
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Peppermint oil for weight loss for sure.

My teaching assistant uses it for pain, rubbing it all over her neck. Then I sneeze. I'm pretty sure all that sneezing burns calories. So yes, if you can get enough sneezes out of the stuff, it works for weight loss.
  • auddii
    Options
    Peppermint oil for weight loss for sure.

My teaching assistant uses it for pain, rubbing it all over her neck. Then I sneeze. I'm pretty sure all that sneezing burns calories. So yes, if you can get enough sneezes out of the stuff, it works for weight loss.

I started out annoyed, then you turned it around. Sound logic. *nods*
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I keep lavender in my bedroom to put on my pillow to sleep. I keep oil at my desk at work, to smell for a quick pick me up. So far as ingesting, heck no.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Wishes do come true if you really, really, really believe.

Money also helps.

#sarcasm
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Oh. This is one of those. I was hoping it would be more of a "Can you believe that people actually think essential oils can help with weight loss?"
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Oh. This is one of those. I was hoping it would be more of a "Can you believe that people actually think essential oils can help with weight loss?"

I always come into these threads with that hope. I'm disappointed all the time. And it's against the terms of service to slap the OPs upside the head and tell them to stop getting their nutritional advice from Food Babe and Dr. Oz.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2016
    Options

I actually got that specific information (using a carrier oil for the essential oil) from a pharmacist. That instance I'm referring to, I felt shaky and almost nauseous after using it (because I used too much). But, I guess you can choose to believe what you want.

Also, I'm not suggesting that essential oils can be used as a magic fix for weight loss. I may not have made that clear, but that wasn't my point.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is kind of scary. I have a couple of Young Living consultants on my Facebook and they talk about ingesting the oils all the time, and their children too! They even give "recipes" for different things like weight loss and such. I have never and would never buy any, it's not my thing. But it's scary that they suggest consuming the oils when it's actually dangerous to do so!

Injesting things clearly labeled as do not eat is just one way to thin the herd.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I actually got that specific information (using a carrier oil for the essential oil) from a pharmacist. That instance I'm referring to, I felt shaky and almost nauseous after using it (because I used too much). But, I guess you can choose to believe what you want.

Also, I'm not suggesting that essential oils can be used as a magic fix for weight loss. I may not have made that clear, but that wasn't my point.

Carrier oils do not help EO's absorb better. They are used to dilute the EO's so they are not at toxic levels. There is no way grapeseed oil absorbs all the way to your stomach. Some carrier oils will sit on top of the first layer of the epidermis. Others may absorb into one of the other layers (there are 5 layers of the epidermis) but they do not penetrate past the epidermis into the dermis or the subcutaneous fat or muscle.
  • auddii
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Carrier oils do not help EO's absorb better. They are used to dilute the EO's so they are not at toxic levels. There is no way grapeseed oil absorbs all the way to your stomach. Some carrier oils will sit on top of the first layer of the epidermis. Others may absorb into one of the other layers (there are 5 layers of the epidermis) but they do not penetrate past the epidermis into the dermis or the subcutaneous fat or muscle.

I trust the lady that makes her own soaps and lotions^
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2016
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I trust the lady that makes her own soaps and lotions^
    Ok, so a little of what I said was inaccurate. I already said initially that I was diluting the essential oil with a carrier oil. The point is that the oil does get absorbed into the system to influence the various organ systems (in this case, digestive and nervous).
    Also, I can say these oils (and plenty more) were already being used in my house for soap making.

• troelsy
    troelsy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Plenty of the essential oils mentioned here have been said to stimulate appetite... lol

Peppermint, orange, ginger...

I mean the oils from herbs aren't completely bogus. But I would say having the actual herbs growing and rubbing a leaf in passing is a better way to get the experiences.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    troelsy wrote: »
    Plenty of the essential oils mentioned here have been said to stimulate appetite... lol

I mean the oils from herbs aren't completely bogus. But I would say having the actual herbs growing and rubbing a leaf in passing is a better way to get the experiences.

Eating it fresh. I find ginger does aid in digestion if I eat it in food or drink it in tea.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    troelsy wrote: »

Eating it fresh. I find ginger does aid in digestion if I eat it in food or drink it in tea.

Ginger is one of those spices that have documented benefits, especially to calm mild nausea. There have even been studies done that shows some benefits for mild morning sickness with no danger to the baby. This is the actual spice though (whether fresh, dried, crystallized, infused, etc), not in any kind of essential oil form.